Is Lifting A 24lb.Baby for Reps A Workout??

Options
My 8 month old is really heavy and sometimes I don't have time to work out so while I am busy with him I will lift him up in the air doing sets. I also hold him and do squats. IS THAT CONSIDERED A WORKOUT??????

Replies

• Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    It's the same as if you used a 24 lb weight of some kind. If it's just 4 or 5 squats and putting him the air a couple times, then that's probably not going to be a good burn, however. You'd need to do it pretty frequently throughout the day, or do a couple/three 10 minute blocks of working out with your son. There are lots of workout ideas for incorporating your infant into your exercise moves.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If its hard on you, its a workout. I love using my kids as weights.
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    LMAO, I was just packing my 50lbs 4year old up the stairs and was thinking the same thing. He thought it was hysterical.
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'd say yesss! Do it as much as you can -you'll both have a great time :D
  • abigailm83
    Options
    I have a wrap carrier that came with a booklet that showed how you could use it to exercise with your child. So I agree plus I have a 15 lbs baby on my hip most of the time so I can relate. :happy:
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm pretty sure packing my 32lb 2 year old around should be counted too, especially ehen hes wearing his big heavy carrhart coat.
  • sadie1carter2
    sadie1carter2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    sure! although, like pp-er's said, you need to do enough rep's that it really "counts"

I have seen DVD's of "yoga with your baby" with kind of the same idea... maybe check them out :)
  • plumnbagel
    plumnbagel Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My friend's shoulder hurts from picking up her big boys all day - does that mean she's suffering from a sports-related injury! :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I hope it counts because I do the same things with my 3 and 5 year olds! They think they are having fun!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Hey, a free-weight is a free-weight. Plus, the baby grows as you get stronger!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't know if you're lifting a barbell, a baby, or a cow.

If you don't get the cow thing, I'm referring to Milo of Croton. Check the story here:

http://www.combat-aging.com/milo.html
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    bwahaha I totally did this with my 42 lb daughter the other day. She had so much fun! (she's 4)
  • bricktowngal
    Options
    Yes, absolutely! My daughter is a daycare worker and lifts and carries babies all day long and you should see her arms, they look great!
  • Chubbasmommy
    Options
    My biceps are outta control huge. my son was 40 lbs at the age of 2 so i had no choice but to lift him. he is 4 now and is 60 lbs ....and still wants picked up at least 5 times a day. *mamas boy* if i could only work my tris by lifting him that would be great lol
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Unless you are really doing continous reps, I wouldn't count it...I have 3 boys (almost 5yr old 38 pounds), almost 3(34 pounds) and almost 2(25 pounds)..I carry the littlest one practially all day (yes he can walk, its just faster) but since is part of my day, I don't count it as exercise as thats already built into my "everyday" life.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Haha, when my best friend's baby was around 6 months old (granted he wasn't very heavy, tiny baby!) he loved being repeated lifted into the air and brought back down and lifted in the air and brought back down... Over, and over, and over again haha. I would keep saying "And one, and two, and three, and four," which after a good couple reps turned into "Auntie just can't take no more" haha. My arms were sore for days. I definitely believe it's a good workout! And a great way to spend time with the little ones!

(I wouldn't log it, though)
  • darkcloud29
    Options
    Yeah I actually believe I do enough to consider it a work out not to mention he wants to be held all day. So I am forever picking him up setting him down, running after him to stop him from bringing the house down around us. Thanks For All The Comments!!! My biggest problem isn't Food! It's the sodas!!! I am trying to cut back!!! Thanks Again everyone!
  • stwalsh226
    Options
    Heck yeah!!!! I did the same thing with my son!! Still do sometimes. He laughs hysterically still and he is 23months now.
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    For the most part it really is. But if you intentionally want to consider it as a workout, then I would say do more reps.

I have twins and even if I don't carry them as much, that was all the workout I had when they were little. Up and down the stairs with 2 infants to toddlers... at the same time. If I could carry them both now at the same time, I would do so. They are 40-42 lbs each. I think that would be dangerous though going up and down the stairs.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I just posted about this in another thread, but look into METs (metabolic equivalents) and NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) to figure out how these activities are impacting your overall health/calorie expenditure, and how to use them effectively to help you toward your goals.

(And again, not saying increasing incidental, everyday activity should replace planned regular exercise... but I think it's a useful component to add in and take seriously for real health.)