Bathroom scales - evil

Options
I've decided that my bathroom scale is possessed by a bitter, menopausal poltergeist. This morning I stood on scale and it was up a pound from yesterday... muttered darkly :grumble: and brushed my teeth. Stood on it again (3 minutes later), now I'm TWO pounds heavier than yesterday!! :angry: Showered, dried my hair, stood on scale again ... I have put on half a pound in the shower! :mad: Suffice to say that I am not taking anything on board, or ...er... the opposite, during this entire period of time. So I have entered the first (note, lowest) weight on my daily record.. and suddenly have something to put on my Christmas list. I know it is lame to blame the scale, but ... seriously... So, does anyone have a good suggestion for a reliable, digital bathroom scale (preferably with other options, like BMI or progress calculation)?

Replies

• dcrandall
    dcrandall Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My scale is just as evil as yours!! I too would like to find a reliable scale...Ive found that if I step on my scale a different way each time I get a different read!! Go figure...
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Honestly, i use my wii fit. It seems pretty accurate, as long as you keep the batteries fresh!
  • brittanydaniel79
    Options
    I just ordered this from walmart for $35.

Healthometer Glass Body Fat Scale with BMI, Bone Mass and Hydration Level

It hasn't gotten to me yet, but I'm very excited about it. You may want to check walmart.com or some other retailer and look at your options. This worked with my budget.
  • bethm1210
    bethm1210 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I bought an EatSmart digital scale through Amazon about the same time I started MFP. I've found it to be pretty accurate, and it's reasonably priced.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KXZ808/ref=oss_product
  • untamedheart
    Options
    The same thing happened to my boyfriend! He weighed himself, took a shower and then weighed himself again and was over a pound heavier, then he got dressed a weighed himself and he was 2 pounds lighter! That's what I get for buying a cheap scale at Walmart!
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    ive got the Salter 9122, gives you weight, body fat %, water, body muscle % and BMI and you can store up to 10 profiles into it :)

http://www.buyaparcel.com/pageview.php?page=show_product&ecommerce_stockcode=9122SV3R

I got it for £18 on ebay - very impressed with it
  • Manda1987
    Options
    It's a good thing you posted this! I was frustrated because I'd gained a few pounds since weighing myself on my Wii Fit. Turns out it was just because my bathroom scale is determined to weigh me in at 250 no matter what weight I am!
  • flynabster
    Options
    I hate my bathroom scale too.....it can vary by two pounds up and down.....ugh....
    I've decided to just weigh on the balance scale at the gym.....

But get this....weighed at the gym this week at 190....
    Weighed at the doctor's office same day and it said 186....and both were balance scales.....

I gained a pound and a half....ugh....
  • Interalia
    Options
    I hate my bathroom scale too.....it can vary by two pounds up and down.....ugh....
    I've decided to just weigh on the balance scale at the gym.....

But get this....weighed at the gym this week at 190....
    Weighed at the doctor's office same day and it said 186....and both were balance scales.....

I gained a pound and a half....ugh....
  • Interalia
    Options
    Thanks to all for the suggestions for good scales, will definitely pursue all. For Flynabster ... ignore the heavier reading, it's clearly wrong :wink:
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've decided that my bathroom scale is possessed by a bitter, menopausal poltergeist. This morning I stood on scale and it was up a pound from yesterday... muttered darkly :grumble: and brushed my teeth. Stood on it again (3 minutes later), now I'm TWO pounds heavier than yesterday!! :angry: Showered, dried my hair, stood on scale again ... I have put on half a pound in the shower! :mad: Suffice to say that I am not taking anything on board, or ...er... the opposite, during this entire period of time. So I have entered the first (note, lowest) weight on my daily record.. and suddenly have something to put on my Christmas list. I know it is lame to blame the scale, but ... seriously... So, does anyone have a good suggestion for a reliable, digital bathroom scale (preferably with other options, like BMI or progress calculation)?

Toothpaste adding a pound? Nah musta been a fluke or glitch. Did you towel dry or blow dry your hair? If towel dry I can totally see it adding weight.

Really the only scale I trust 100% is the scale at my doctors. Because of the inaccuracies of regular scales I just use that as a basic baseline measurement week to week.
  • masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My scale is dead on if I step on it at 2 separate times. It is made by Taylor. However I have had scales give me varying readings. The only will reason however I use a scale is to make sure I am heading the right direction. As long as the +/- range is going downward you shouldnt be concerned.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Sarah - Do you have problems with the Wii fit disconnecting during golf? I've been having this problem every time I use it... and sometimes with other games where the remote swings around a lot.

Shannon
  • _ken
    _ken Posts: 6
    Options
    I having the same problem. My scale is so erratic! I weigh two pounds heavier one day and three less the next! Annoys me to no end.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Our scale varies depending where on the floor you place it. I have been known to step off it, move it over a foot, and step back on. Lame? Probably...
  • xXHeatherRaeXx
    xXHeatherRaeXx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've named my scales El Diablo. I feel your pain.
  • TJMcQN
    TJMcQN Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! I'm curious though. How does a scale measure some of the things like BMI, body fat, hydration etc?
  • ginncjb
    ginncjb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just ordered this from walmart for $35.

Healthometer Glass Body Fat Scale with BMI, Bone Mass and Hydration Level

It hasn't gotten to me yet, but I'm very excited about it. You may want to check walmart.com or some other retailer and look at your options. This worked with my budget.

My Healthometer Digital Scale doesnt have the extra features, but matches my doctor's scale exactly.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I bought an EatSmart digital scale through Amazon about the same time I started MFP. I've found it to be pretty accurate, and it's reasonably priced.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KXZ808/ref=oss_product

haha i was thinking of buying the eatsmart off of amazon today. i ordered the eatsmart food scale a couple of hours ago :)
  • kristine321
    Options
    HATE the bathroom scales too! I bit the bullet this week though, and finally ordered a set of Dr. scales from the hospital's DME! I have been so frustrated with the digital scales, that I just couldn't take it anymore! I know that the Dr. scales are much more accurate, and can easily be calibrated.