This is starting to get old!

Options

Replies

• anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I know you want to see the scale move, but I was wondering if you have been measuring to see if you've lost inches.

I took my measurements the other day and I did lose an inch from my arms, waist and thighs from the last time i took them which was back in october
  • GkMusic
    GkMusic Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This post pretty much sums up my life since November as well. Grrr!! Good luck!
  • anulle2009
    Options
    If you could make your food diary public, even for a couple of hours, some of us could look and see what we think. Sometimes a small change can make a huge difference. Just a though if you are comfortable with that.

Sorry I thought I had! haha I have made it public
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. My goal was to lose 80 lbs by Dec 10. I just can't seem to get there. I thought I had broke it yesterday because I had finally gotten to my lowest weight since Thanksgiving but then I told myself that I could do more than I could and now I am back up again. It is frustrating. But I can't let this be an excuse to give up and neither can you.
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    See the only thing is pretty much isn't everything in these stores processed in some fashion or another?? I may have a frozen dinner for lunch. But I dont eat the boxed potatoes or anything like that. or mac and cheese. but for example I have an english muffin for breakfast, that is processed bread. I do eat Whole Wheat Bread but isn't that processed to a point?! I guess i am confused on what is processed and not processed.

When I say processed I'm talking about the boxed "diet" meals. I eat them sometimes too...but I try to steer clear of them because of all the sodium. Not to mention the portion sizes are ridiculous. I can make something myself twice the size of those meals for less calories.
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    Those Smart Ones by Weight Watchers may be low in calories, but the sodium is off the charts. And try taking your measurements, you may have lost inches.
    Good luck!
  • anulle2009
    Options
    See the only thing is pretty much isn't everything in these stores processed in some fashion or another?? I may have a frozen dinner for lunch. But I dont eat the boxed potatoes or anything like that. or mac and cheese. but for example I have an english muffin for breakfast, that is processed bread. I do eat Whole Wheat Bread but isn't that processed to a point?! I guess i am confused on what is processed and not processed.

When I say processed I'm talking about the boxed "diet" meals. I eat them sometimes too...but I try to steer clear of them because of all the sodium. Not to mention the portion sizes are ridiculous. I can make something myself twice the size of those meals for less calories.

Ahh ok, yeah When I cook dinner I try to make my own stuff and not used the box stuff, if i do use it I wont eat it. (my hubby likes that stuff) but my sides i make for dinner though are normally from scratch.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I know you want to see the scale move, but I was wondering if you have been measuring to see if you've lost inches.

I took my measurements the other day and I did lose an inch from my arms, waist and thighs from the last time i took them which was back in october

Babe, that's great! If you're working out close to 5 times a week, incorporating boot camp nonetheless, you are going to have periods where you're losing weight, then maybe not so much. Keep measuring yourself......in any event, try not to get discouraged; because if you stop doing what you're doing, I can GUARANTEE that you won't lose for sure. My advice would be to keep plugging along.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    I just took a quick peek at your diary and honestly cut out the soda! I was having trouble losing weight and I quit drinking soda and lost 5 pounds right away! And don't eat so many of those easy frozen meals. You don't have to go organic, I don't buy organic ever, but you should cook more! There are lots of great and easy recipes out there that are low in cals and much better for you then frozen meals!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    'Abs are made in the kitchen'.

70% of what we look like is from what we eat.... If you aren't seeing changes I think you should really consider reevaluating what you are eating.

Spending an extra $50 on groceries that are more healthy is an investment in your health...

Also try measuring yourself. Sometimes it takes a long time for the scale to move...but you are losing inches. So measure measure measure!

On that note, you should maybe go to the doctor too. You could have a horomonal imbalance that is affecting your metabolism...even a thyroid problem. Better to be safe than sorry, right?

Either way, don't give up! No matter what the scale says you are making changes for the good of your health.
  • catcardoso
    Options
    Are you getting enough quality sleep? If not, the hormones in your body can wreak havoc on your metabolism. And stress, cortisol is a diet killer. If you can, you need to make sure that you are taking time for yourself (and not always time to be at the gym working out).
  • anulle2009
    Options

Babe, that's great! If you're working out close to 5 times a week, incorporating boot camp nonetheless, you are going to have periods where you're losing weight, then maybe not so much. Keep measuring yourself......in any event, try not to get discouraged; because if you stop doing what you're doing, I can GUARANTEE that you won't lose for sure. My advice would be to keep plugging along.

Thanks!
  • naturerunner
    Options
    Another thing to watch is what you are drinking. Cut out all pop, juice (even fruit juice) You would be surprised how many calories you can consume in liquid form. And the quickie frozen meals gotta go. They are just empty calories.
  • allaboutfamily
    allaboutfamily Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    great posts
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations! You need to remember that muscle weighs more than fat. Just because you aren't seeing results on the scale, doesn't mean your body isn't reacting to your workouts. Maybe try mixing up your workout schedule--like, take different classes at your local gym on different days. Your body will remember them, but it is great to mix it up for reasons such as boredom or to push yourself. Also, have someone take your measurements. Or, if someone already has, have them check again. Sometimes we won't see the results on the scale, but they are there. I would go out on a limb and say that you are building muscle mass and losing inches, just not seeing it on the scale.
  • anulle2009
    Options
    I just took a quick peek at your diary and honestly cut out the soda! I was having trouble losing weight and I quit drinking soda and lost 5 pounds right away! And don't eat so many of those easy frozen meals. You don't have to go organic, I don't buy organic ever, but you should cook more! There are lots of great and easy recipes out there that are low in cals and much better for you then frozen meals!

I have been bad on the soda lately.Normally I am pretty good and I have cut back a lot. Thanks! I just took a look back the week and thank you for bringing that up because I didnt even notice!
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Hey you! You've lost 54 lbs! You should be proud of that, and keep that amazing momentum going. Don't stress out about it not changing recently. Keep your hard work and determination going. The scale WILL move, I promise you that.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    STOP or at least reduce the processed foods. You don't have to eat purely organic to eat healthy. Increase your greens (peppers, spinach, celery, cucumbers, etc.) and fruit. Stay to the outside of the market - fruits, veggies, meat, cheese/dairy. The only aisles I ususally go down are for juice and beans!

REDUCE carb intake and up protein intake. Try to keep your carbs under 100 per day. Basically get rid of bread and rice for a while! Also reduce your sugar (added sugar) intake.

Eat or drink protein after every workout (apx 15-20g w/in 2hrs of working out)

INCREASE your water intake. At the bare minimum you should be drinking 90oz of water a day.

To jump start - you may think about a cleanse. If you can't afford to "juice" you can buy 100% juice and V-8, make your own blend and only drink for 1-3 days!! Then slowly start eating (meaning 2 drinks and lunch; then breakfast, lunch and juice drink) and very very slowly bring back in carbs. I cleanse once a month and I usually lose 3-5lbs, 2-3 of which is water....but I can usually net a pound or two loss!

Good luck. Don't get discouraged. You can do it!! :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    It would help if you opened your diary to the public so we can see what you're eating and how much.

Some general rules, though -

Make sure you drink enough liquids - plain water isn't the only thing that counts here, but you shouldn't be getting all your liquid from soda or milk (both of which are high in calories)

Make sure you log drinks, too. Most drinks have quite a few calories that you may be taking in and not realizing it (8oz of 2% milk is 122 calories, a 20oz bottle of soda is around 300 calories)

Eat back at least half of your exercise calories - If you don't have a heart rate monitor, it's easy to overestimate how much you burn, but MFP already calculates deficits, so if you work out and don't eat back at least some of that, you may be putting yourself at too much of a deficit, which can make it harder to lose weight.

Eat more protein and less carbs - MFP recommends a pretty high number for carbs and a pretty low number for protein. Try playing with your numbers a little to increase your protein goals. Carbs are great for long-distance runners and people that walk or bike ride everywhere, but not so hot for the rest of us.

Limit processed foods - They tend to have a lot of salt in them, and in the case of a lot of the "diet" foods (especially the "snack bars"), a lot of sugar. Neither of which are great for weight loss. I can't even look at the frozen dinner section without getting sick anymore, because all I see is salt when I look at them.

Buy more produce - It doesn't have to be organic (and if you do want to switch to organic, you don't have to go "cold turkey", you can always phase things in and out as money and taste allows), but fruits and veggies are going to give you vitamins and minerals that you can't get elsewhere, and they tend to be lower in calories than most other foods.

Read labels! - In general, the fewer ingredients on the processed foods you do buy, the better. Also, if you can't pronounce everything on it, it's a good candidate to consider swapping out. Some people have also found that reducing and/or eliminating things like gluten (found largely in wheat-based products, such as most breads), MSG, or high fructose corn syrup to have all-around benefits, including weight loss.

Eat 5-6 small meals a day - Eating small meals, or healthy snacks in between meals, can help keep you from getting too hungry and then over eating, which will help keep you within your daily allotment.

Talk to your doctor - They can do two things. 1. They can test you for things like insulin resistance (pre-diabetes), gluten intolerance, or thyroid issues, all of which can make it difficult to lose weight. 2. Refer you to a nutritionist, who can provide you with 1 on 1 guidance for how to change your diet in a way that will be effective for you.
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Your exercise diary says you burned about 350 calories for 45 minutes of what's just listed as "cardio"
    Are you sure about the number? Since I don't know what cardio means, you might consider walking to be cardio and not be burning as much, or you might be straight running for 45 minutes and be burning way more. I would either use a heart rate monitor or look up the calories burned for your specific cardio and your specific pace from multiple sites, and use an average of those to estimate your burn. That way you can know how much you need to eat back. I would also suggest doing strength training (I don't eat back/count calories burned for that even though I do 30+ minutes of it when I work out).

Another problem is that you have a date by which you "HAVE TO" lose the weight. While it's great you have a goal in mind, the body is not a perfect machine and doesn't always work like that. The only deadline you should have for fitness is making good choices TODAY, and then repeating that. It's not worth the stress to set a deadline; If you eat right and exercise right, you will reach your goal, and whatever day that comes will be the right day. :)