HOW DO I REDUCE PROTEIN INTAKE???

Options
13»

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You can give it to me.
  • I adjusted mine manually. When you go to goals you can opt to custom goals. I keep whatever calories MFP recommends for me but I up the fiber and protein. For me it's a mental thing - seeing the red bugged me. Yet I was constantly over on fiber and protein. For protein I Just put in 30% and then 40% carbs 30% fat. For ME this combo seems to keep me most satisfied and is by no means "low carb".

For fiber I threw in 35 - I still go over quite often but I'm trying to learn to live with that little bit of red lol
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Options
    You SHOULD go over your protein every day. The suggestions on here are way too low. There are a few nutrients you should go over: Vitamins, Protein and Fiber.

Um ... going over on some vitamins can be fatal ...

really? hmm.. which ones? by how much would you have to go over, etc.

If you're going to say something like this, please provide more information with scientific proof, some of us don't know these things and would like to learn.

Vitamin A, vitamin D from the wrong sources.

I'm sure you all know how to use Google.

I remember this from bio: A, D, E and K are fat soluble so excess is stored in your fat and over time can become toxic. All over vitamins are water soluble, so you pee out whatever your body doesn't absorb. :smile:
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Certain B vitamins also should not be overdone because they can cause an arrhythmia, etc.
  • jenng38
    jenng38 Posts: 105
    Options
    everyone is right...when I was getting 100g or more protein per day the weight was falling off. Concentrate on getting lean sources of protien (eggs, lowfat/fat free dairy like milk cottage cheese and yogurt. My favorite is 99% fat free extra lean ground turkey. It's the carbs you want to limit...especially the refined white carbs. Good luck!
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    i have seen patients put themselves into acute hepatiits from overdosing on Vitamin A. As someone else mentioned, you CAN overdose on fat soluble vitamins. Just because something is "good' for you doens't mean more is even better.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    My protein intake according to Fitness pal should only be 56 grammes per day. I`ve always read that while weight lifting/trying to cut up i should be taking in around 1 gram per pound of lean body weight.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't reduce your protein intake as others have mentioned. Protein is important for your muscles and for building lean body mass. Also, protein helps you stay full. The 15% is a minimum and it is too low if you are active and especially if you do strength training. I increased mine to 20% and reduced my carbs to 50% at the beginning of the month. Since doing that I feel more satisfied foodwise and my strength training and running is going much better. I recommend keeping it at 15% or increasing your protein, not decreasing it.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Start taking Alli. The excess protein will pass right through. Good luck!
  • kimclaws
    kimclaws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    my protein is always in the red, I eat up to 140 grams per day, but i am trying to build muscle, muscles need protein to grow. The rule that I go by it to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. So since i weight 117 i get a minimum of 117 grams of protein per day. you can go to your settings and change it if the red number is bothering you. but i would worry more about keeping your carbs, fat and sugars in check rather that lower your protein.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Both the fiber and protein levels are "minimums," where the sodium is set to max. Don't worry a bit about eating more protein than that minimum-THAT should be your goal! It'll help you not to lose as much muscle during weightloss. :)