HELP!! This isn't health related but I don't know what to do

Options

Replies

• destinylsol
    Options
    I am so sorry you have a relationship like this with your mom. I have had an equal toxic relationship with mine but in a different way. Do not lend her the money. Help her in another way. Find a homeless shelter or a soup kitchen. This way you aren't enabling her but at the same time you can rest assure you are doing the right thing.
  • ckerce
    ckerce Posts: 25
    Options
    I wouldnt lie to her, that makes you no better than her! Be straight with her and tell her you love her but you arent going to loan her the money because she needs to help herself for a change. I wouldnt even bring up the fact that you need it for your wedding. That isnt the issue, she needs to take care of herself and not depend on you all the time. You are just enabling her. Be honest and straight forward! Make sure that you tell her how much you love her and that is why you will not lend or give her the money! Here's hoping everything works out well for you both! Big hugs!
  • ambut
    ambut Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm sure others have said this, but you wouldn't be the one "making her homeless". That's her responsibility. If you flip the situation from the other perspective...shouldn't she feel bad that should would be taking your wedding money? I know it's hard to hear this, but I will reiterate what several others have said: do NOT give her the money. You know she isn't going to pay you back, so just forget about that side of it. It's your and you need it. End of story.

Depending on what country she lives in, you could offer to help get her in touch with govt. services that will help her financially, at least in terms of support or some supplemental income. If you give her the money, she will never learn to rely on herself to stay afloat, which is what she needs. By giving her the money, you would actually be harming her, not helping her. She needs to learn. If she sees you as a source of un-ending assistance and knows she can guilt you into it, she will never stop. Which is sad, because she's your mom.

I'm sorry you're in this situation. It sucks, and it's not fair. Save for your wedding, help your mom with emotional support and time, if you can. Do not give her money. Do not give her money. Do not give her money.
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada and there are many ways to get help when needed. She just has to do something about it. She just wants the easy way which is you since you have rarely denied her before. You and your fiancee are trying to build your own lives and you need your own money for that. As hard as it is say no and let her figure it out for herself and focus on you, your weight loss and your future together with your fiancee.
  • jeffazi
    jeffazi Posts: 198
    Options
    Tough call and I'm sure there is lots of other relevant information you could share about this but from what you've told us I would say that you should not lend it to her. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that if you do you'll never see it again.

My 2 cents.

Jeff
  • Billyev
    Options
    Unfortunately, most everything is health related -- this is certainly stress related. It's a difficult situation, and I'm blessed with a wonderful mother. The thing is, my Mom threw ME out when I was 18 and wouldn't live by her rules. It was the best gift she could have ever given me. Why? Well, first, she totally earned my respect. Second, although she tells me she cried every night, she stayed strong and taught me that making tough decisions can be done even if they hurt and are scary. When my daughter was a grown woman (21) but acting like an idiot with a 4 year old child no less, that experience with my Mom gave me the strength and courage to force my own daughter to move out. It wasn't pretty, but she landed on her feet. I was prepared to go grab my grandson from a homeless shelter if need be, but I thought (and still think) that if she couldn't figure it out, she needed to see her son sleep on a cot in a homeless shelter one night to wake her happy butt up.

She, of course, landed on her feet. When I quit enabling, she began enabling herself -- in a good way. My personal opinion is that when you "help" people, you are often not "helping." I see this with my aunt and her daughter (who is in her 50s, has a law degree but can't hold a job and is still living with my elderly aunt). I see it with my friends who let their kids live with them and walk all over them but don't have the strength to say no. I see it everywhere -- and those people that are being "helped" not only don't appreciate it, they don't respect the people that are "helping" them. So I say, as hard as it may be, and although it's none of my business actually, you need to say no, be strong, you don't need an excuse -- it's YOUR money. If she gave you things before, well, frankly, that's what parents do. Parents are supposed to take care of their kids, not the other way around. Now, if she was elderly and sick, that's something totally different. But if she is able bodied, then she'll figure it out. You are an easy way out for her -- she doesn't have to think very hard if you give her the money. Or try very hard. She's burned her bridges with her brother, and he is her landlord? Well, gee, that wasn't very smart, now was it? And that's your fault HOW? It's not.

Tough love is not only tough on the person being "taught," but it's seriously tough on the person doing it. But you will be much happlier in the long run if you take a firm stand now, and eventually, hopefully, she will begin to respect you and your boundaries. How is this health related? Gee, the stress alone is enough to make most people eat. Or make you sick. So make your decision, stick by it, and don't feel any guilt (yeah, I know how easy that is to say!). Realize, though, that if this is a continuing problem you may need some counseling to help deal with the feelings it generates. I've gone to counseling a lot, and boy has it helped me to learn to set boundaries without guilt. Just a suggestion -- well, they are ALL suggestions!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I would actually write a note/loan document, with interest, and make her sign if you choose to lend it (you can find them on the internet easily). If you don't choose to lend it I would tell her exactly why, don't lie or that puts you on the same level.

just my 2 cents....

rotfl @ thinking she'd get the money back.
    cut your losses and move on.
  • ceciburgos
    ceciburgos Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't give her money as her pattern has been that she doesn't come through with past promises and doesn't make good choices. You wouldn't "make" her to be homeless, that would happen because of her own choices, therefore, no guilt to be felt. You can "feel" for her situation and perhaps go as far as directing her to some shelters so she's not out in the street, but that's all. At some point, you have to begin to take care of yourself without feeling guilty about it. Being that you are going to be married soon, you ought to tell your fiancee about it regardless of what you think he might say. Ultimately, it will be your own choice to give her the money or not, but you will have being honest and forthright with your soon to be husband.
  • shebee25
    shebee25 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you feel that strongly, make it a legal loan with a signed promissory note that reads specific repayment instructions. You would however need to take her to court to get judgment if she did not pay you back. As everyone else posted she has to grow up sometime and rely on herself. What happens next time she needs money - she will again come to you.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Do not give her money.

I was in almost the exact same situation with my Aunt last year when my grandmother was dying. She needed $1,500 to pay her mortgage and keep her house. I gave it to her with the promise that I'd be paid back when she got her taxes back. NOPE. She blew the money on an RV camper.

These are your elders, and they are adults. Let them figure it out on their own. Use your money for you and your fiance. Sure, it seems selfish, but if you give that money, you will never see it back. It is not your job to pay for their mistakes especially if you know she's a liar and manipulative.
  • lori4013
    lori4013 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Very good advice
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    This truely is an emotional dilemma! She's your mam but, she's a grown up and at her age she should be able to act responsibly. My advice to you is, talk to your fiance and go with your gut. You could lend it to her, she may pay it back and all is well. Then again, she may not do that and so, you will not be able to get married and move on with your life and get married. Put your needs first, whatever they may be! If you do decide to lend her the cash then get a legal document. I really hope you get this sorted out but at the end of the day, your mam can't keep whirlwinding herself through life expecting other people to foot the bill. It's just wrong. If you lend her the cash I really hope she pays you back.
  • Coleyrole
    Options
    What a horiible situation to be in!

Unfortunately, when you loan someone money, always consider it a gift not a loan, because you usually will not get it back. It sounds like you will not get it back based off your post.

She is the mother, not you....she is an adult. If she can't managed her money properly it is her fault, not yours. If you loan her money now, she will keep asking you for more and more...it is called enabling. She can go to her landlord and explain her situation and ask to make modify rent payments for a time period, she can look for a cheaper place to live, she can bring in a room mate....there are solutions availible to her that does not require her to borrow money from you.

You need to protect yourself and your future...don't put yourself into a situation that will cause more stress...if she gets angry with you over this than she is just usuing you....we can pick our friends, but cannot choose our family, but just because someone is family doesn't give them the right to treat you horribly....

Standing up to a parent is really hard....it is a difficult situation...but stand firm....you won't make her homeless, if she becomes homeless that is all her own doing...

I agree. it's a horrible feeling to deal but I do believe this is the right path to take.
  • littleredbadger
    Options
    sweet heart you are not the parent and your mum is rotten putting you in this situation, i am sure she is old enought to figure this out bu herself and stop stressing you out. Your fella is right at some point you have to start loving yourself and looking after yourself.
    you have to think about yourself this time kiddo and trust your fella is telling you the right thing , if your gonna marry him trust he is telling you no for your own good.
    x x good luck try not to stress chicken chops
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I think it's time for some tough love. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, but it sounds like your mom could very well cut and run with your $1,000. If you need that money for your wedding, then don't give it to her. It sounds like she really needs a wake up call and if you keep bailing her out, she will never learn to rely on herself. Sending you a huge hug...

Agree. I know it sounds harsh, but one thing I've learned the hard way is people have to learn from themselves and if you continuously bail them out they become dependent.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My advice is "tell your future husband" If your going to marry this man it is important you dont hide anything from him #1.

#2 - Trust is earned, not given....What does she need the money for? Is there anyway you can minimize the amount?

I know how hard it is saving for a wedding so this can be a big deal. But if your just going to hand her the money you will have no way of actually knowing what she is going spend it on. I had a problem with this once with a family member and gambling!

No one can tell you what to do. Family is important no matter the rights or wrongs they have done but it doesnt mean you are obligated to their drama. You have a say so too.

Good luck and praying for you!
  • ajevans2674
    ajevans2674 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would actually write a note/loan document, with interest, and make her sign if you choose to lend it (you can find them on the internet easily). If you don't choose to lend it I would tell her exactly why, don't lie or that puts you on the same level.

just my 2 cents....

The reason i wouldn't suggest doing this is that it if the relationship isn't already strained enough, turning it into a business proposition will. Not to mention the main point, which is that if she decides not to pay it back, because she obviously can't afford to, no document will be able to drudge up money that she doesn't have. It's essentially the equivalent of suing a person with no money. There's nothing to be gained. Besides that, it's your mother - I can't imagine you would ever take what little money she has left anyway.

My thoughts are like many others, which is that standing up to parents is probably one of the hardest things to do, but it sounds like you need to do just that. Explain to her that you've worked hard for what you have and that you are saving to make a life for yourself. A good mother would put your happiness and success in life above her own. If you feel incredibly guilty, you could do some research for her and give her some options maybe she hadn't thought of or didn't know about. Is there a way she could make money? Does she have any skills? Does she have a retirement account (not that that's a particularly great option either)? The point is that there are many options that aren't always clear or obvious, but you may be able to think of something.

Best of luck to you!
  • blanke1
    Options
    If i were you, i would talk to your husband to be about it, regradless if he trust her or not, you don't want to start your life together with this hanging over you. after talking to him you can discuss the reasoning or stipulation of giving or not giving her the money.
    Maybe falling to the homeless standard will make her grow up, usallay when we fall on are face our nature is to pick are self up, we are surviors by nature. I wouldn't worry your self about her she will find her way, especially if she is con artist and deceptive.
    good luck to you in your weight lost , marriage and your realtionship with your MUM, God Bless.
  • alidav12345
    Options
    Well that is a hard decision to make. If you have had problems in the past and even present trusting your mom that does play a factor in your decision. Would she be able to get a loan from one of those credit loan places where she could make payments to them to pay it back with interest. That way she is kinda held accountable if she doesn't pay it back. Where if you lend her the money if she doesn't pay you back it may not affect her as much as if she didn't pay back a credit loan. I know those aren't the best places but sometimes you have to do what you have to do at the time.

I would really think twice before you lend her money. It could affect not only you but you and your fiance. Good luck though:smile:
  • Pifflesmom
    Pifflesmom Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Your Mom is a grown up and she will not be homeless. You are enabling her by giving her the money and you will still be the parent. Tell her that unfortunately you can`t access the money for 6 months or more and she will have to figure this one out on her own

It`s called tough love and it is tough to do

This is excellent advice. As difficult as it is with family relationships, it is the best option. It really is.

I could not agree more

THIS...if this was a 'one off' thing where she was normally reliable and she'd just run into a bit of trouble - by all means. But, it sounds like she's a 'user' - I had a mom very similar - but instead of money, she was always guilting me into 'emotional' things - once I put my foot down, however, I felt MUCH better and she had to learn to figure out a few things on her own.

Best of luck - be strong and remember - you wouldn't let a friend treat you this way, why would you let a family member?