Am I in the starvation mood?

Options
SO today is my second day of TOM and I haven't done any exercise in the last 2 days because I had alot of study to do ( have an exam next week) and honestly I ate more than the calories I determined for myself ( I put around 1200 in days that I don't work out ) but in the last 2 days especially yesterday I ate over 1800 ( you know before TOM...right) without exercise and guess what??? today at the scale I was 176.8 ( was 178. on Tuesday morning) .....who can explain this to me???

I'm thinking that before the last 2 days I wasn't eating enough especially I do about 1 hour TF or Insanity which needs alot of protein and good nutrition and may be because I ate well I mean more that I was planning then my body starts to burn the fat.

I started the month by 179 and today is 176.8 so it is so frustrating what I see right now..

Could you please help me figuring out what is going on here?

Thanks

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you what is going on, but if you ate 1800 cals yesterday, you aren't in starvation mode.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    On Tuesday you were 178? and today you are 176.8?

I'm sorry, I don't see an issue.

But I agree. If you ate 1800 calories yesterday, you aren't in starvation mode.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    NO! Your body will do what your body does it knows what it needs. There is no exact science to figuring out weight fluctuations, there are a lot of factors and losses/gains don't always show up immediately on the scale. Don't get stuck in a trap where you weigh yourself daily and let it decide if you are happy or not stick to weighing once a week or less, take your measurements once a month or so and take some pictures so you can compare them. Listen to your body, make sure you are getting enough nutrition and don't over do the exercise, you should feel good and have more energy - the scale isn't everything! Long lasting weight loss isn't a race it is a lifestyle change, don't become obsessed - it will happen! I don't know how much weight you need to lose but maybe this is your body's way of showing you it needs more than 1200 cals and you need to eat more!
  • Rayjewls
    Rayjewls Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I see what your saying...you feel like before that maybe you weren't eating enough. It sounds that way to me also. Just keep
    doing what you're doing sounds like it's working.
  • Finallyfit1976
    Finallyfit1976 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you what is going on, but if you ate 1800 cals yesterday, you aren't in starvation mode.

Sorry I meant was I in starvation mood before since I didn't lose any weight but I gained one pound from the last week despite the workouts and 1200 that I was eating every day
  • Finallyfit1976
    Options
    On Tuesday you were 178? and today you are 176.8?

I'm sorry, I don't see an issue.

But I agree. If you ate 1800 calories yesterday, you aren't in starvation mode.

The thing that I have noticed that Sunday ( 15 Jan. ) I was 177.4 and last Sunday ( 22 Jan.) I was 178.4 and I was doing all my homework watching out what I'm eating , doing my exercise everyday . and when I didn't do any exercise last 2 days and ate about 1800 then I went down to 176 so was I in the starvation mood?
  • Finallyfit1976
    Options
    NO! Your body will do what your body does it knows what it needs. There is no exact science to figuring out weight fluctuations, there are a lot of factors and losses/gains don't always show up immediately on the scale. Don't get stuck in a trap where you weigh yourself daily and let it decide if you are happy or not stick to weighing once a week or less, take your measurements once a month or so and take some pictures so you can compare them. Listen to your body, make sure you are getting enough nutrition and don't over do the exercise, you should feel good and have more energy - the scale isn't everything! Long lasting weight loss isn't a race it is a lifestyle change, don't become obsessed - it will happen! I don't know how much weight you need to lose but maybe this is your body's way of showing you it needs more than 1200 cals and you need to eat more!

Thank you sooooooooooo much of your nice reply , you are expressing what I'm feeling right now. Unfortunately I'm obsessed with the scale and I let it control my mood during the days which I really hate... I will try to follow your advice for weighing in once a week or so... Thanks alot
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

Sorry I meant was I in starvation mood before since I didn't lose any weight but I gained one pound from the last week despite the workouts and 1200 that I was eating every day

Probably not. It takes a while for your body to go into "starvation mode" (I prefer other terms.... like conservation mode, since true starvation mode doesn't happen unless you're like the Donner party and REALLY starving). You do make sub-conscious changes when you're not eating much- like you stop fidgeting as much and become more sedentary than usual- but who knows when those changes set in. It's probably different for different people.

I personally would HATE hate HATE living off 1200 calories a day. I'd be starving!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a hell of a time keeping my calories below 1800 these days and usually don't- I think I cheat and eat at least 2500 calories once or twice a week, which might explain why I'm not losing very fast, but oh well. Since 99.9% of dieting is having the will power to be consistent and stick with a calorie deficit for as long as you need to lose weight.... well I personally think you should start eating at 1800 calories all the time. It clearly didn't stop your weight loss, so seems smart to me.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options

Thank you sooooooooooo much of your nice reply , you are expressing what I'm feeling right now. Unfortunately I'm obsessed with the scale and I let it control my mood during the days which I really hate... I will try to follow your advice for weighing in once a week or so... Thanks alot

Don't be so hard on yourself - it really is counterproductive and sabotages your efforts!!
  • rebecca_florida
    rebecca_florida Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    have someone hide your scale for a few days. eat healthy foods until you are full, then stop. exercise.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    SO today is my second day of TOM and I haven't done any exercise in the last 2 days because I had alot of study to do ( have an exam next week) and honestly I ate more than the calories I determined for myself ( I put around 1200 in days that I don't work out ) but in the last 2 days especially yesterday I ate over 1800 ( you know before TOM...right) without exercise and guess what??? today at the scale I was 176.8 ( was 178. on Tuesday morning) .....who can explain this to me???

I'm thinking that before the last 2 days I wasn't eating enough especially I do about 1 hour TF or Insanity which needs alot of protein and good nutrition and may be because I ate well I mean more that I was planning then my body starts to burn the fat.

I started the month by 179 and today is 176.8 so it is so frustrating what I see right now..

Could you please help me figuring out what is going on here?

Thanks

1.2lbs can easily be water weight fluctuation, especially since you are at that TOM.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Also may want to read this article. It is not uncommon to see drops in the scale after a break of diet (some people regularly use a "refeed"), It is typically water weight but has to do with having been so restricted prior to it.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-ltdfle.html
    (the article is actually about continued fat loss after stopping dieting for several days, but also refers and compares it to another situation similar to yours, he just explains it better in this article than the one he actually wrote about it. Check the first paragraph after "whats going on" )