Read the menu BEFORE you go!!!

Options
Well, we were reminded last night of just how important it is to review a restaurant's menu online BEFORE going out to eat... our trainer brought in a whole bunch of meals from different restaurants and quizzed us on what we thought was in them. Some were frightening.

10 chicken wings = 4 turkey sandwiches on whole wheat bread... that one hit the guys in the room really hard.

Boston Pizza's Crispy Chicken Pecan Salad = 2 Big Macs, so you'd be better off calorie-wise to have a Big Mac and small fries!

Boston Pizza's Smoky Mountain Spaghetti & Meatballs has ***1800 calories***, not including the garlic bread that comes with it!!! (Not to mention 63 grams of fat.) You could go to McDonald's and have a large Coke, medium fries, Angus Bacon & Cheese, AND am 8oz Creme Brulee McFlurry for virtually the same.

But the thing on the BP menu you might thing was "bad"... the 7-Cheese Ravioli? Only 490 calories. Go figure.

Do your research, people! :o)

Replies

• jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    This is so absolutely true! I've compared the same item in different restaurants, too. Bob Evans Chicken and Apple Pecan salad: 860 calories. Red Robin Chicken Apple Harvest Salad (same thing): 490 calories. When I go to Bob Evans I just get one egg scrambled, a side of fruit, and a coffee. I know what that costs.
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    So true! What I have been doing is looking at the menu before I go, deciding what to get, and logging it on MFP. Then when I get to the restaurant, I don't even look at the menu. That way I'm not tempted to get anything else!
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this too. I look up the restaurant and decide what I want before I go and stick to it. I'm finding most chain restaurants offer a lighter menu and the selections are very tasty. My favorite is Chili's Margarita Chicken....very filling.
  • cracked_belle
    cracked_belle Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So true! What I have been doing is looking at the menu before I go, deciding what to get, and logging it on MFP. Then when I get to the restaurant, I don't even look at the menu. That way I'm not tempted to get anything else!

ooh, I never thought about logging it in before I go. I'll look ate menu at home and then decide. but preemptivly adding it will ensure sticking to it. thanks!!
  • hmseals
    hmseals Posts: 30
    Options
    This is so true! I have done that before and it helps so much with my decision making. We went to eat at the Outback last year for my nephew's birthday party and looked up the menu on line before we left. I even asked for no butter on my vegetables and everything was so good! It is definetely worth the time it takes to look before going.