Wife Just Not Getting Results

Options
She has been with this for about 2.5 months and zero results. She is about 315 and started at the recommended 1800 calories. No results so we knocked it down to 1600 calories, still, no results and now working out as well and no results. Sha wee knoeck it down to 1400 or possibly even 1300 calories just to see if it works. She is sooooooo frustrated and wants to quit and it doesnt help that I am losing weight at 210 punds.

Replies

• delong99
    delong99 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    She has lost zero pounds? Or is just losing more slowly than she'd like?

She is probably over-estimating her calorie burn, and under estimating how many calories she's consuming.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be mean, but she might be cheating.
    It takes enormous energy to carry 315 pounds around.
    At 315, you could argue she is 175 pounds overweight.
    Think of all the energy it takes to carry 175 pounds for even a minute.

Has she seen a doctor about this?
    Does she exercise?

Best of luck.
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Is she drinking enough water? How's her sodium intake? Is she measuring all her portions? Is she exercising at all?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Is she drinking enough water? How's her sodium intake? Is she measuring all her portions? Is she exercising at all?

complete physical with thyroid check
  • clumsymofro
    clumsymofro Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree, she definitely needs to get some bloodwork done, especially if she is doing everything right and still isn't losing weight. She may have hypothyroidism, which makes it super hard to lose any weight at all.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    No progress of any kind? Has she had blood work done?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Also is she a member here? If not I'd suggest that she sign up with her own account so she can log her food and talk to us for herself (no offense, it's just easier to talk to the person who is actually having the problem)
  • Ljthet
    Ljthet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You might want to take her in to have her thyroid checked.
  • chicklidell
    Options
    If she is perfectly healthy, thyroid and such...then she's cheating herself..not logging everything or underestimating calories and such. Doctor first, if everything is ok..take a look at behaviour.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I would have her checked for diabetes, thyroid issues, and PCOS. PCOS is caused by insulin resistance. She would need an insulin glucose tolerance test to test her insulin response. High levels of insulin make weight loss almost impossible. I have PCOS (but not diabetes) and take a diabetes drug, Metformin, to control my insulin levels. The medication makes weight loss possible (still not easy, but possible). I also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis which was working against me.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest seeing a doctor. I had the same problem when I started. I worked for six months with NO results. And I seriously mean no results. I never cheated and I worked out daily, I measured my food too. But, nothing changed. I went to the doctor and found out that I have PCOS. The change for me was simple, no more processed carbs. That did it. I started dropping weight almost immediately (wihin the first week I cut the processed food from my diet). So, perhaps it is something along those lines. Good luck!
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I would have her checked for diabetes, thyroid issues, and PCOS. PCOS is caused by insulin resistance. She would need an insulin glucose tolerance test to test her insulin response. High levels of insulin make weight loss almost impossible. I have PCOS (but not diabetes) and take a diabetes drug, Metformin, to control my insulin levels. The medication makes weight loss possible (still not easy, but possible). I also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis which was working against me.

I agree, PCOS makes weight loss almost impossible. And the odds of having it as a women are staggering, it is something like 2/5 women have it, and most don't know.
  • Mich3ll36
    Options
    Im a few pounds heavier than her and I found that the amount of protein and fiber makes a HUGE difference in my weight loss. I stay under 1700 calories a day but my protein intake is 112 and fiber is 22 (but i typically go over). I agree that she should have some blood work done also. I have PCOS which makes weight loss a little more difficult so it can be really frustrating. Dont give up. Best of luck.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    She has been with this for about 2.5 months and zero results. She is about 315 and started at the recommended 1800 calories. No results so we knocked it down to 1600 calories, still, no results and now working out as well and no results. Sha wee knoeck it down to 1400 or possibly even 1300 calories just to see if it works. She is sooooooo frustrated and wants to quit and it doesnt help that I am losing weight at 210 punds.

Are you around her 24 hours per day? Almost zero chance she eats 1800 calories per day and not loses any weight. She's likely snacking while your not around or she's horribly undereporting her intake (either by accident or purposely).
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    If she is not cheating and actually measuring her portions with a food scale and measuring cups - then I think the next step is to see a doctor and get a full physical with blood work. Also, when she works out is she using an HRM or the MFP database or machine estimates? There is a huge difference in all of that and you don't mention if she eats her calories back. If she is going to eat her calories back then she needs the HRM for accurate readings. I would also suggest using a tape measure. This is the first time I am doing it so I can't tell you what the results are yet but I know that it usually takes my body a lot of hard work before I see decent results on the scale - so I taped myself for the first time 1/1/12 and will retape 2/1/12. Either way try to encourage your wife to continue and not give up. Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Are you around here 24 hours per day? Almost zero chance she eats 1800 calories per day and not loses any weight. She's likely snacking while your not around or she's horribly undereporting her intake (either by accident or purposely).

^This. If not, then visit a doctor. It's very rare that someone at 300+ pounds isn't losing weight on 1800 calories a day.
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be mean, but she might be cheating.
    It takes enormous energy to carry 315 pounds around.
    At 315, you could argue she is 175 pounds overweight.
    Think of all the energy it takes to carry 175 pounds for even a minute.

Has she seen a doctor about this?
    Does she exercise?

Best of luck.

Depending on her height/age...it might not be THAT hard...I was 5'8'' and started out at 327 pounds and at that time, I wouldn't have described it as "difficult" to get around. I do agree that the 1800 was too much. When I started here, that's about what MFP recommended but it didn't work. The biggest thing that kick started my loss was more water, less junk, and walking. NO CHEATING ON ANYTHING until the first 10 pounds were gone. I remember trying to justify myself in that way for treats, not necessary. I agree she needs her thyroid checked and ore than likely a support system too. With that much weight to lose, it's hard...just plain hard. She'll feel like nobody understands her.. that makes it harder. Tell her good luck, I hope she finds out something that works for her very, very soon.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

I agree, PCOS makes weight loss almost impossible. And the odds of having it as a women are staggering, it is something like 2/5 women have it, and most don't know.

It was blatantly obvious for me from the time I was 14. Most women with PCOS have ovulation issues, and most of those start before the weight gain. I guess those women wouldn't necessarily know they have PCOS though - they likely don't seek out a Dr until they try to have children.
  • sugazedy
    sugazedy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    She should try eating more whole foods as processed foods can put a halt to your weight loss. Try fruit and veggie smoothies, they have tons of fibre to help keep you full, and lots of vitamins to keep you healthy. Keep the carbs and dairy to a minimum, drink lots of water, make sure to eat your daily required protein intake so as you are not losing muscle, and drink plenty of water.

She also may need to try a colon cleanse as a healthy colon is what get's the ball rolling :)

(No alcohol - only 1 cup of caffeine per-day)

Hope it all works out :) Don't give up :)
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

Crap. It makes it harder but women with PCOS can and have lost weight.

I was only a little bit smaller than OPs wife and have a terrible case of PCOS and have lost quickly. I just have to be stricter than most. But hitting my cals means I lose weight. Most women with PCOS are the same.

If she's truly eating right I'd go to the doctor. Eating only 1800 cals and not losing means there's something wrong.