Diet soda ?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Diet soda can take the paint off your car.... I don't drink it.
    Myth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • christinal83
    christinal83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer that regular pop is way better for you than diet (although ANY pop is bad for you!). Here's my PERSONAL reason why:

I used to get migraines so severe that my doctor thought it could be a tumor (IT'S NOT A TUMOR. Sorry, bad Kindergarten Cop reference). Anyway, after 4 neurologists later, and then giving up in life, I stopped drinking diet pop. Migraines decreased SEVERELY. Not saying I'm not getting any migraines now, but ever since I stopped drinking diet, I'm getting less, and the severity of the migraines has decreased.

Sounds like caffeine withdraws..
  • tylersmama1224
    Options
    I cut soda out all together and it's killing me. If I want to cheat I have dr.pepper 10. Diet soda is horrible for you though, it has twice the amount of acid that regular soda does. My dentist said if I am going to drink soda he would rather it be regular so I am not acid bathing my teeth, lol.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    You can find all the scientific literature you want about diet drinks (or specifically the sweeteners in the drinks) at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed (suggested search terms: artificial sweeteners, or aspartame, or sucralose). I've spent a lot of time ready about them. I personally have concluded that diet drinks are fine.
  • ramonasowner
    ramonasowner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer that regular pop is way better for you than diet (although ANY pop is bad for you!). Here's my PERSONAL reason why:

I used to get migraines so severe that my doctor thought it could be a tumor (IT'S NOT A TUMOR. Sorry, bad Kindergarten Cop reference). Anyway, after 4 neurologists later, and then giving up in life, I stopped drinking diet pop. Migraines decreased SEVERELY. Not saying I'm not getting any migraines now, but ever since I stopped drinking diet, I'm getting less, and the severity of the migraines has decreased.

I think this has happened for me. I lived off the stuff, had horrible headaches, and plantar facitis( foot pain). A doctor told me once that it increased calcification on my ligaments, making my foot pain worse. I quit the stuff and ended up becoming a runner years later, no PF pain.
  • mathgirl
    mathgirl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Diet or not, its very low in pH and tears away the enamel of your teeth.
  • christinal83
    christinal83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    When I switched from reg coke to diet coke a few years back I actually lost some weight. Everyone is different though.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I cut soda out all together and it's killing me. If I want to cheat I have dr.pepper 10. Diet soda is horrible for you though, it has twice the amount of acid that regular soda does. My dentist said if I am going to drink soda he would rather it be regular so I am not acid bathing my teeth, lol.
    Where is the information that states that diet soda has more acid than regular soda?

IDEA Fitness member
  • mrsbeebs
    Options
    I cut it out cold turkey. I seriously went through a 2 day withdrawal, I loved it so much. Haven't had one in a month. I've lost 9 lbs along with a healthy diet and exercise.
  • ramonasowner
    Options
    Word.
  • lmz1100
    lmz1100 Posts: 10
    Options
    Does it matter what the evidence is? Artificial sweeteners have been proven to be harmful to your health. That's all I need to know. Took me years, but I gave it up for good.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    It is a personal preference................you decide
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Research suggests 100% of people who drink diet soda die.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Not according to my dentist. And I drink diet soda daily. I also floss and brush consistently.

IDEA Fitness member
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Diet soda can take the paint off your car.... I don't drink it.

Actually regular soda does this too. I used a coke to clean the corrosion off my car battery.
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Where is the information that states that diet soda has more acid than regular soda?

IDEA Fitness member

I do see that you are shooting down everyone's thoughts on this information, where are your peer reviewed articles to actually inform us of what is correct?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Does it matter what the evidence is? Artificial sweeteners have been proven to be harmful to your health. That's all I need to know. Took me years, but I gave it up for good.
    Proven by whom? Mayo clinic and even the American Cancer Society have studies disproving some of the "bad" myths about diet soda.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ramonasowner
    Options
    Research suggests 100% of people who drink diet soda die.

HA! lol good one!
  • hawkeygal
    hawkeygal Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    No, wasn't caffeine withdrawls. I still drink the regular pop and eat plenty of chocolate with caffeine in it.

It's all the artificial sweeteners that was in the diet pop.
  • brendabuckeye
    brendabuckeye Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is different for every person's body. SOme people are affected by the chemicals in it, it makes some people tend to eat more, it makes some people retain water, it helps some people's sweet tooth. For me, it is bad news as I get some serious cramping going on. I have also heard that it can have depressant effects - I'm not sure if this is true, but if you already have those issues and/ are in the depths of Vitamin D deficiency due to this lovely gloomy weather I have here in my area, it probably is a bad idea to drink it.
    Let's be honest, we all (should) know that our sweet tooth is not a help, and that any kind of soda is not helping the issue long term.

I would pry my sweeth tooth out myself if I could. I am also just a s guilty as anyone else about my pop habit. I KNOW I need to swear off of it. It is my 'mommycrack' these days and I need to give it up. Pop is BAD. Water is GOOD. Our bodies will thank us for swearing it off.