paleo followers?

Options
kir911
kir911 Posts: 228 Member
looking to see how many people out there are following the paleo way of eating. I am experimenting with it as I have not been having alot of success eating starchy carbs. Even though I feel like I was choosing good options...ie. oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, quinoa etc, I was still not really losing. So, I am gonna try focusing on veggies, good fats, lean proteins and fruit and see what happens. I am getting in my exercise and strict to my calories since september, yet I still have alot of ups and downs on the scale and not much movement in the downward direction. I figure it can't hurt to try!

Replies

• GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've been doing paleo/primal since October. I was already at my goal weight when I started (thanks MFP!) but now I don't have to worry about maintaining it and I no longer bother to count calories.

Here's a group you should check out! You'll find lots of help/support here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/54-primal-paleo-support-group
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I do - you can message me or friend me if you'd like to chat about it :)
  • jenhowse1
    Options
    I try and eat mostly paleo about 90% of the time. I'm gluten intolerant so can't eat the wheat based stuff anyway. My diary is open so you can see what I'm doing.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I've been considering it but everything I've read about it is conflicted when it comes to coffee. I can't seem to find a definitive answer to where or not it's a good part of the lifestyle. I'm not sure I can commit to giving up coffee.

I'm interested to see your progress!
  • kir911
    Options
    I've been doing paleo/primal since October. I was already at my goal weight when I started (thanks MFP!) but now I don't have to worry about maintaining it and I no longer bother to count calories.

I found that a bit ago...that is great...I joined. Thanks for the info...congrats on getting to goal.
  • kir911
    Options
    I've been considering it but everything I've read about it is conflicted when it comes to coffee. I can't seem to find a definitive answer to where or not it's a good part of the lifestyle. I'm not sure I can commit to giving up coffee.

I'm interested to see your progress!

As far as I know you can have coffee, just not the sugar or creamers in it. So I am trying using almond milk. Its not the same but I am trying it out. I understand not being able to give that up...I work night shift, and it is not an option for me!
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options

I found that a bit ago...that is great...I joined. Thanks for the info...congrats on getting to goal.

Thanks! Feel free to message me anytime, always looking for fellow paleo people to support and be inspired by :)
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Kirsten you guys make me want to try it so bad! But I can't give up peanut butter.. nope no way.. I LOVE peanut butter.. I'm starting to love it more than Nutella if you can believe that.. I could give up Nutella but no peanut butter LOL
  • kir911
    Options
    Ugh! Kirsten you guys make me want to try it so bad! But I can't give up peanut butter.. nope no way.. I LOVE peanut butter.. I'm starting to love it more than Nutella if you can believe that.. I could give up Nutella but no peanut butter LOL

SO...try it with the peanut butter. It won't be 100%, but not far off...worth a shot.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I didn't realise that my new diet plan was pretty near to paleo until I read this thread. I have issues with lactose and gluten so I decided to finally get strict with no dairy or breads/pasta. I haven't considered if I will add rice and beans to my plan yet. I will be interested to see the progress of people following a strict paleo.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have issues with lactose, gluten etc, so Paleo seemed like the best approach. I've been pretty happy with it so far.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options

I agree with others. Primal/paleo is what you make it. I still eat dairy, because I like it. Its like anything else in life...its doesn't have to be all or nothing. You make the tweaks you need to in order to do it...its better than not doing it at all (assuming its something you want to do).
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My wife, kids and I have been following following the primal blueprint (very similar to paleo) for the last few months now and have nothing but good things to say about it. Between my wife and I we've lost over 45lbs and our kids have gained weight (they are very skinny compared to their peers). There have been many other health benefits we've seen already, so I would recommend giving it a shot to anyone.

As for the coffee question, my wife still has her daily coffee, but then has tea/water throughout the day.
  • kir911
    Options
    My wife, kids and I have been following following the primal blueprint (very similar to paleo) for the last few months now and have nothing but good things to say about it. Between my wife and I we've lost over 45lbs and our kids have gained weight (they are very skinny compared to their peers). There have been many other health benefits we've seen already, so I would recommend giving it a shot to anyone.

As for the coffee question, my wife still has her daily coffee, but then has tea/water throughout the day.

So far I am very happy with my choice to do this. I have had no problem adapting. I still have my morning coffee too and started using almond milk, I do miss regular skim milk though. I am trying to achieve this with my kids too, so far that is a work in progress, but they are also very lean and could stand to gain some weight. Thanks for the encouragement!
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    So far I am very happy with my choice to do this. I have had no problem adapting. I still have my morning coffee too and started using almond milk, I do miss regular skim milk though. I am trying to achieve this with my kids too, so far that is a work in progress, but they are also very lean and could stand to gain some weight. Thanks for the encouragement!

You may also want to try coconut milk, if you aren't very fond of almond milk.

Our 10 y/o son gained seven pounds in four months (64->71lbs) and our 4 y/o daughter gained four pounds (28 -> 32lbs). Additionally, we were able to reduce our son's medication for adhd and tourettes, with no noticeable difference in symptoms. Our son's doctor was actually suggesting an additional medication before we started on the primal blueprint (because he had developed a compulsive tic/habit of picking at his skin on his arms/legs/face to the point of bleeding). When we started following the lifestyle, we also removed dairy from his diet (we had read a lot of interesting articles about children with adhd/tourettes/autism, and their success on a gluten/casein free diet), and the picking has all but stopped now.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I'm about 98% Paleo, but realistically that's as good as I'm gonna get for awhile. I will occasionally have dairy products, peanut butter and white rice (I travel for work in China, so there's no avoiding rice), but I avoid bread, grains, pastas, refined sugars, etc. I've never felt happier and healthier than I do now. Plus, I get to eat a lot!

I drink coffee, but I drink it black with cinnamon.

I mainly use almond or hemp milk as my "milk", but occasionally I'll use coconut milk. I've found coconut milk to be really rich, so I have to be careful with the amounts I use or my stomach isn't happy.