30 days of logging and only 3.2lbs gone to show for it

Options
What am I doing wrong? I'm truly sedentary, I'm up to cook for the kids and do some light cleaning and I go to the gym. I don't think I've been eating all that bad and I'm going to be getting a fitbit to help out. Do I need a kitchen scale now?

Help?!?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'd love to help... But I've noticed a few things in your diary.

1.) what are you doing that you burn 800-1000 calories? (if it's "light cleaning" that is included in your TDEE and should not be considered exercise)

2.) for your burning 800-1000 calories you are not eating your calories back. If it says you have "x calories remaining" you should aim to hit your goal. Creating too much of a deficit can hinder your weight loss.

Let me know!
  • lysistrataNix
    lysistrataNix Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    anytime there are calories burned that is a true workout, by either a fitness video done at home or my hour spent at the gym or both. I don't log laundry, light cleaning, and all the other stuff. To me there's no point in that. I want to lose 2lbs per week but because I'm sedentary MFP will only set me to 1200 a day to meet and that puts me at a 1.5 projected loss per week. Also I think I"m not counting my calories the right way either so that's why I don't eat to my full goal.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 1400 calories and burning 800, that means you only had a total of 600 calories for the day! you won't lose weight like that, either only burn 300-400 calories when you go to the gym or add more healthy non processed food to your diet!
  • chrinsky
    chrinsky Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I've been logging in for a month also (and I've been killing it at the gym!) and I haven't lost a single pound! My clothes aren't fitting any differently either!
    Hope you find something that works for you soon! Try not to get discouraged (I'm trying really hard too!)!
  • lysistrataNix
    Options
    Please define processed foods to me. I don't always cook from scratch so I might add a box that has seasoning mix and noodles or rice to add to the meat. My husband isn't fully on board with dieting so I'm trying to compromise.
  • lysistrataNix
    Options
    I also don't always have a lot of time to cook. I watch kids during the day and when the last one goes home I go to the gym for an hour then come home and make dinner. I used to go workout after I ate, but it was really hard on me to run and do the elliptical on a full belly.
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    Please define processed foods to me. I don't always cook from scratch so I might add a box that has seasoning mix and noodles or rice to add to the meat. My husband isn't fully on board with dieting so I'm trying to compromise.
    If it comes in a jar, box, or packet it's processed. There could be so many reason why you aren't losing. You could be building muscle, retaining water from sodium, your not measuring your food, MFP is telling you that you are burning more than you are...Keep at it. Don't give up.
  • tigg17
    tigg17 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not eating enough! Your body is going into starvation mode and basically just hanging on to every calorie you intake because it doesn't know when it will get fuel again! Eat back your extra exercise calories!! Also, I'd really watch your sodium; you seem to over by quite a bit each day so you may be carrying a lot of water weight too! Good luck to you!!
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    On the weekend make large batches of things that you can use later in the week. For ex. I made baked sweet potatos the other night. I baked extra, saved it, and they will be turned into sweet potato pancakes. You can also freeze extras for homemade tv dinners. Make a few chicken breasts and make a large salad for several days at a time.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I also don't always have a lot of time to cook. I watch kids during the day and when the last one goes home I go to the gym for an hour then come home and make dinner. I used to go workout after I ate, but it was really hard on me to run and do the elliptical on a full belly.

Here's how i do it. I eat mostly fresh foods. My normal day goes like this
    Breakfast- high protein plain greek yogurt, maybe some cereal?
    snack- apple
    Lunch- (I dont eat meat but) leftovers, pita with spring mix and hummus, carrots/celery with hummus, Soup, Baked ramen, Salad. But you could eat all the above, chicken breast with brown rice, simple stuff you can make in advance and just pick up and go.
    Snack- Fiber One bar, apple, carrots, zuchini
    Dinner- Pasta, Pizza, Vegetarian Chili, Roasted potatoes, Breakfast night!

Really its so easy to make things in advance, freeze it, and then put it in tupperware. It sounds like you are on the right track as far as how you are doing things... this weight loss thing is slow so youve got to keep at it! Also, they are saying maybe eat "cleaner" like more fresh fruits, veggies, lean meats, etc. which doesnt have to involve a lot of cooking!

Also, make sure you are eating enough calories!
  • lysistrataNix
    Options
    I guess I'll have to see what I can do. As far as eating goes I'll look at my intake and groan because I still have to eat more... I have a hard time finding enough to eat.
  • lysistrataNix
    Options
    By the way what is hummus? I keep seeing it and I have no idea what it is.
  • katieg2289
    Options
    Hummus is a type of dip. It is delicious on veggies or crackers! It comes in different flavors. It kind of reminds me of bean dip, but it's healthier. :)
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I eat it with celery now since the pita bread is so high in calories. Its a chick pea mix with garlic, lemon and tahini. I eat it everyday!

And by less processed foods, I meant more salad and vegatbles that are fresh and not prepared before hand. if you look at my diary you will see i usually eat leftovers for lunch and a high fiber/fat/protein breakfest.
  • lysistrataNix
    Options
    Is hummus kept in the refrigerated section or what? I've honestly never seen it. :embarassed:
  • katieg2289
    Options
    Yes it is. At our Safeway it is kept in the little refrigerated area that has the special cheeses and stuff in it.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. You say you are truly sedentary, but then you say you go to the gym and you are working out and burning 800 calories? That is not sedentary.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I just took a super quick look through your diary, not even looking at your food simply your calories. Almost every other day, you've got at least 600 calories remaining. You need to try your very best to eat back about 80% of the calories you get back after working out. You're body is not being refuelled and is going to stop doing anything, hence the lack of more weight loss.
  • robbward4
    Options
    it took me about 60 days to really notice a significant loss in weight, i think it may just be your body readjusting to your new eating habits. also i found eating a decent breakast at dinner before seven seemed to work. definately breakfast though as it kick starts your metabilism. just keep at it and find what works best for you because everyone is different and it may take time for you to find your way but keep it up it really does work!!! good luck
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've been here for 200+ days and I've lost 20 lb.
    That's about the same rate of loss. Approximately 1 lb every 10days.
    There's nothing wrong with that.
    Slow and steady wins the race.