Should you exercise when you are sore????

Options
Hi all,
I trained with my trainer yesterday morning then
I went to a boxing class yesterday evening for the first time and i am a little sore today from all of the exercise:(
I went swimming this morning and burned 270 calories...There is another boxing class tonight that i really wanna go to but im afraid i will hurt myself if i am sore like i am...Any opinions? The class is pretty intense

Replies

• kristyhooker
    Options
    sore --- yes

hurting--- no IMPO
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    Sore Yes!!! For me it actually helps the soreness.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'm into "active" recovery, so doing some low to moderate exercise always makes me feel better. I hate just sitting around feeling sore and in my experience, doesn't improve the situation.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    eat some water and drink some food, you'll be fine.
  • mkevans
    mkevans Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    hmmm that just might be impossible to do!!!!!
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    If you are sore, you can workout. If you are hurting, take another day to recover.

I always feel so much better soreness-wise if I get out and workout.

Have fun!
  • rachf2013
    Options
    Being sore is normal (and means you're working out right!) and the best way to stop being sore is to work it out. (Like walking when you have a cramp) However, if the soreness becomes a sharp pain rather than a dull ache, stop exercising.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    this
    sore --- yes

hurting--- no IMPO
  • nikkicormier82
    nikkicormier82 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys...it's not to the point of not being able to move so i may warm up a bit and then go to the class:) and definitely STRETCH! :smile:
  • nikkicormier82
    nikkicormier82 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    eat some water and drink some food, you'll be fine.

LMAO!!!!!!! will do
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Delayed onset of muscle soreness sore from lifting weights or cardio? Absolutely - soreness is not an indication of whether its ok to train again. Tendon pain or muscular strain pain, defo not.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I did this 4 week fitness boot camp years ago and during the first week I was more sore everywhere than I thought it was humanly possible to be.

I asked the trainer if I needed a break and she said nope! So I worked through it.
  • jaguar101570
    Options
    If you are sore definately work out. If there is pain then take a 1 day break and re-evaluate.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this :) I was wondering the same thing... still sore from a circuit-training-type class two nights ago, went treadmilling last night anyway because I figured that was harmless but I've been kind of stuck debating tonight's plans.
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You usually are the sorest two days post workout. That being said, it is good to do some light exercise on day two to warm up the muscles and work out the lactic acid. Typically I'll actually feel better after that.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    You usually are the sorest two days post workout. That being said, it is good to do some light exercise on day two to warm up the muscles and work out the lactic acid. Typically I'll actually feel better after that.

Exactly the same advice I got from a runner friend today. :smile: