Not getting compliments

Options

Replies

• determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not 100% sure in regards to your situation, but I'll tell you this.

I've lost 12lbs so far and the only person that noticed was my massage therapist that I hadn't seen in 4 months. I've started wearing some of my clothes from when I was thinner and nobody has really noticed. I think my BF has made a comment or two. I asked my mom why she hasn't said anything and she brought up the fact that if you see someone on a daily basis, it's hard to notice the little changes.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says 12 pounds; that's great but hardly constitutes a physique transformation.
    Just stay on track and once you lose 30, people will notice for sure.
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says 12 pounds; that's great but hardly constitutes a physique transformation.

I completely disagree. 12lbs can be up to 2 sizes for someone. They can go from having a muffin top to no muffin top (much like my situation)
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Let your haters be your motivators! Jealousy rearing its ugly head :flowerforyou:
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I just look in the mirror and tell myself how awesome I am. It works for me!
  • elizarm
    elizarm Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm hesitant to comment on anyone's appearance -- for good or bad -- in the workplace.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I wouldn't comment on someone's apperance unless I was friends outside the work place.
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    It takes about 20 pounds for others to notice. Thats what i have realized... So keep on going.
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Just because people arent saying anything doesnt mean they dont notice.. sometimes people just dont want to make you feel uncomfortable. no one at work said anything to me and i've transformed before their eyes lol.. just keep in mind its harder to notice when people see u all the time as well
  • meltygarden
    meltygarden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't know, man. Making *any* sort of comment about a person's physical appearance is pretty much verboten in the environment I've worked in most of my life.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

I completely disagree. 12lbs can be up to 2 sizes for someone. They can go from having a muffin top to no muffin top (much like my situation)
    Yes, it's great and all, yet don't expect the world to beat a path to your door to offer compliments.
    That's just reality.
    And again, this is not to belittle but to acknowledge that in my opinion, the OP is expecting too much.
    Nobody gave me a second thought until I lost 30lbs, and then it was just a passing comment.

Let me tell you this.
    When it's significant, people notice, and people comment,.
    After 70+ pounds, I get this daily from just about everybody.

Be patient and keep punching!
    People will notice in time; you are doing GREAT!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    If you feel good who cares. There just jealous.:heart:

So because someone does not say something they are jealous?
  • LynneGG
    LynneGG Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I agree with a previous post. People who see you everyday don't notice until you've lost a good bit of weight. I felt the same way and it took 40lbs for my co workers to say anything. I think in the beginning of the weight loss even if they do notice they may be unsure about saying anything for fear of offending you. Enjoy your accomplishments and the reat will come.Satisfaction and movitvation has to come from within first. Its not always jealousy....I've seen it with other co workers who have lost weight and as I said I was afraid to say anything because I did not want to offend them. Weight loss or gain is a very sensitive subject for many.

Congrats on your weight loss and good luck to you!
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Yeah it can get frustrating. This type of mentality always stems from an expectation you can have about how a situation will play out. When it doesn't, it's disappointing.

What I've noticed about getting compliments is two things inparticular:
    1) I didn't hear a PEEP out of anyone until I hit the 'lost 10kg' mark. I think it takes a lot to notice a small change.
    2) Most, if not all of my compliments have come from women. Every single male in my life either has not noticed at all, or says 'yeah, that's cool' and a pat on the back. (QUICKNOTE: I'm not complaining about how this has turned out, lol)
    Even my own brother looks at me and says 'you can lose more' after losing 14 kgs.

Not sure why, could be just my experience.
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I think it definitely has something to do with them seeing you every day. You don't notice people get larger or smaller when they are always there. It's like your puppy growing, you don't remember how little they were until you see a picture.
    I do think that some people don't want to mention anything. Quite a few people I know get offended when someone says "OMG you lost SOOOO Much weight. You look good". They take it to mean "I guess I looked really bad before, jeez". So really I think it's just people are involved in their own stuff and not paying attention to daily nuances.
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    If you feel good who cares. There just jealous.:heart:

So because someone does not say something they are jealous?

^^^^this! Maybe they don't want to say anything...what if you hadn't lost weight and they said something...might offend you! People are so touchy...you know you're doing great and we are all here to say WTG!!
  • scatgash
    scatgash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere it takes 4 weeks for you to notice the difference, 8 weeks for your friends to notice and 12 weeks for everyone else to notice. I'm unsure if it is true, but certainly keeps me motivated when I feel down :)
  • NicolettetheGreek
    NicolettetheGreek Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. For the record, you (must) look great! ..and, yes, sadly, business suits change in style in nanoseconds. Perhaps the cut is not one that is flattering your new curves. Maybe time to have them tailored, or some eye popping accessories.

Can you help me? I do not have but 2 friend, need more, but can't figure out how to post..fat is ruining my brain..lol

NEED FRIENDS..JUST STARTING OUT!! Yes, am shouting..sorry..
  • N_BEAST_MODE_24_7
    N_BEAST_MODE_24_7 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight to get compliments from others? Why care if someone tells you that you look good or not as long as you feel good about yourself.....nothing else matters! Do it because it makes you feel good, not because you want others to compliment you..
  • lauz31
    lauz31 Posts: 2
    Options
    Good on you! I have a whole wandrobe of 'skinny' clothes that I can not wait to be able to wear again. It is nice to hear it from other people and know that people can see the difference. I think you have to lose quite a bit of weight for people to notice and then some may not be comfortable to say anything, especially in a work environment.
  • lizzieollie
    Options
    Congragulations on your weight loss. I like being able to fit into my skinner clothes.