I'm Out of Style -- HELP

Options

Replies

• princesspeach577
    princesspeach577 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't know how helpful you will find this, but I get a ton of ideas for outfits from pinterest.com.
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    What I've been doing is going on pinterest and pinning all the styles that I find I like. My plan is when I am ready to go on my shopping spree (another 15lbs to go!!!!) I am going to look through all them and see any similarities (i.e. blue scarf, black boots etc) to create different outfits without spending a boatload of money.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have advice on books or websites that would provide advice on style for casual wear. I am in my late 50(s) and want to look good, but not like I am trying to refind my youth.

I have lost a third of my body weight from my heaviest point. I still have a year or two to go before I am at maintenance. Necessity has caused me to focus first on creating a professional, flattering work wardrobe, but I am struggling when it comes to more casual wear. I was told by a dear family member in the most flattering of ways that I belonged on a show,"What not to Wear" when it comes to my everyday clothes. I've never seen the show but she told me the jist of it. I looked at some pictures of me and I think she's right.

I live near lots of thrift stores and consignment shops so I think I could find a moderate budget to get started.

I'm excited to have this problem. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I am 54 and love Coldwater Creek and CJ Banks. Chico's is good too. They all can be found online and at malls. Kohl's can be good too.
  • time2bhealthy
    time2bhealthy Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have been doing your homework and are already getting started in changing up your style. I'm sure that wearing clothes in the right size will make all the difference. My work attire is mostly slacks and a nice blouse, which really isn't too difficult. Casual wear for me just means I change into jeans.

If you have more expensive items that you don't want to part with, you may consider getting them altered to your current size. I did that with my slacks for work and I actually need to do that again.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the comments and websites information (I am not the OP). Although I don't work anymore so business attire is not longer a problem, I do have difficulties finding the right clothes to wear for my age and size.

I am very small and short and I can only fit petite clothes, and on top of that I don't like to spend too much money on clothes, especially for casual wear (not a good combination). It is hard to find appropriate clothes for my age group in the petite section.

I will check the websites posted in here for some ideas. I do like the “What Not To Wear” program, and to the OP, you can check Tracy London (I think that is the name of the female hostess) ideas online too.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    To kick off the new me, I got measured and bought a new bra (full price even). It is so cool. It fits perfectly. I am somewhat senstitive about my post-cancer breast so this was big for me. Then I went to another store and bought two belts, based on my new found knowledge that I should accentuate my waist.

I came home and went through 1/4 of my closet (before I got too tired) and have pulled out five oversize blouses and a sweater. I realized that I have been adapting my pant sizes but keeping my old tops.

This is a new beginning. I am pumped!
    Perfect approach! Getting a profesionally fitted bra post-weight loss is really important and helps you figure out what your real top/blouse size is. I have lost weight on my top much more successfully than on my bottom half, so I have done the opposite of you--kept most of my skirts and pants and changed out my tops. I forage the deep discounts at a couple of local department stores for current or end of season tops at really good prices. It's not unusual for me to get them at 85% off, so for $100 I can buy a lot of things. I also indulge in current or end of season clearance costume jewelery to perk up some older things I'm tired of. Between jewelry, scares, and belts, you can make a relatively modest amount of clothes go a very long way.

The best thing for me is routinely going through my closest (probably every 3 months) and trying on everything that I haven't worn for a while. It allows me to see how clothes that used to look good no longer fit well, pare down my items to those that I really wear, and also note progress by being able to get into clothes I had packed away because they no longer fit. My goal is to have turned over my entire wardrpbe by the end of this year--about 20 months since I started to really work on losing the weight I had gained since college (cough cough) 35 years ago.

Personal shoppers can be helpful but watch out for the sales people at Chicos! I can't tell you how many times I have fallen for a "oh yes, that's great on you" and realized after the fact it was a commission talking. My favorite was last year when I tried on a dress, asked about the fit (it seemed to have a slightly raised waistline) and was told oh, that's the style. I bought it because I liked it well enough and it was a good price. Then, after losing 10 more pounds and putting the dress on again, it was clear that the waistline was "raised" because of my large bosom and not because of the style. My lesson learned from that: if I'm doubt, wait.

But it is fun to buy new things and especially to modernize your look. Enjoy it!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Try Ann Taylor Loft (casual) the salespeople are helpful and can put together outfits for you. Or Ann Taylor(dressy/business).
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Pick up a copy of In Style magazine (or check them out online, though I've never really browsed their website, so can't speak for it). They alway shave outfit ideas, including a recurring section that shows how to wear styles / trends at different ages... and just looking at the ads and articles can give you an idea of what's current!
  • LastHopeForMe
    Options
    Try on all your wardrobe with a true friend, who isn't scared to tell you exactly how you look. Try everything on with everything else and ask for her/his advice.
    If she/he says it doesn't suit you, it's in this way =)
    Then check again which clothes are "Yes-clothes" and search for the ones you like the most. These are your style basics.

Another suggestion is to have your clothes agenda. Take a little diary and write down everything you try on in front of the mirror and that you actually like (with a friend if possible, taking pictures to show her/him if not).
    I mean everything you try: from the T-shirt to the accessories.
    You can do it little by little.
    When you wear it, at the end of the day, write down problems you had (e.g. noisy bracelet, ...).
    Write it for a month or two and you will have a lot of combinations ready to wear when you panic in front of the wardrobe.

About shopping, I suggest you a little trick; at the beginning buy basic clothes in basic colors as black, grey, white, beige + two colors you like the most.
    Buy a colorful, but elegant scarf and use it as accessory. It makes wonders. If you check youtube, you can find a hundred ways to wear it with style.

In Italy we have some simple rules, I think you all know.
    - shoes, bag and belt should be of the same color
    - never put on more than one or two accessories, expecially if they're big and/or colorful
    - when you're in front of the wardrobe think simple. To your outfit, then, you can add ONE "not simple" cloth or accessory.
    - try to wear a basic color as black, grey and beige. To them you can add white (+ another color as green, red,... but one only =) )

If you find my English difficult to understand, so sorry. I'm Italian, actually, so I'm learning it yet.
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    @lasthopeforme: your English is great. The "accessories all the same color" rule is one that does get routinely violated in America from time to time, though the general modified rule is that all items should coordinate (and if one is a vibrant/bold color, the others should be neutral).
  • jmaffett
    Options
    There is a FANTASTIC book called, "How Not to Look Old". I bought it at Costco last year.

The author, Charla Krupp, has lots of pictures and real world examples so you know which styles look old and dowdy, and what can update your look. There are styles that a lot of us have worn since the 80s and they now make us look dumpy, even if you're thin, even if your face looks young. She has ideas for hairstyle, makeup, accessories, etc.

Sadly, Charla passed away earlier this week. She was only in her 50s but passed due to cancer.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Not-Look-Old-Effortless/dp/B003156B4K/ref=pd_sim_b_1
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for responding. I have appreciate the many suggestions and links. It is fun at age 58 to feel healthy, energetic and pretty. I want my clothes to reflect how put together I now feel inside me. Setting my own style, economically, is going to be a fun challenge. Monday I go back to work after a two week vacation. I think I have a great idea of what to where for my first day back.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Lasthopeforme, thank you for your very specific suggestions. I'm going to give them a try too.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Look for the "What not to Wear" books, both by the original British gals and the US counterparts. I like the original British gals best.

This, totally. And taking a very honest person along with you. I was my mom's honest person. :flowerforyou:
  • cindikhendrickson
    Options
    Go to Steinmart, if you have one near you. They have up-to-date styles, good prices and the inventory is constantly changing.......I am 52.
  • SmashliT
    SmashliT Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think you have a good start...really I think the perfect casual outfit equatuion is this: a good fitting pair dark rinse jeans, either boot cut or trouser cut + an interesting shell/top + a cardigan + flats or boots

Target and Kohls are great and affordable. I know it is embarrassing to go in this store.....but Forever 21 has great accessories for really cheap
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It would really help if you posted a picture on your profile..then we could see your body shape and possibly give you some more advice! I've learned pretty much everything I know about fit and style rules through watching What Not To Wear haha. I love that show.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    It would really help if you posted a picture on your profile..then we could see your body shape and possibly give you some more advice! I've learned pretty much everything I know about fit and style rules through watching What Not To Wear haha. I love that show.

I agree.....pics would help!

I am 57 years old. I've been told I'm a bit of a fashion maven, and I love to try out new styles and colors. However, i don't want to look like an "old" teenager, so I try to avoid the real trendy stuff.

I love love love What Not to Wear, and it's given me many ideas of styles to try and combinations to make. So, a few suggestions:

Stay away from boxy t-shirts and stretchy, knit pants. They look baggy and saggy on most everyone.
    A women in her 50's can get away with a lot :bigsmile: I've recently added leggings and fun boots to my wardrobe, and I get lots of compliments! Be sure to wear leggings with LONGER tops and such..........you don't want your butt hanging out, no matter how skinny it might be getting!
    Cargo pants - the ones with all of the fun pockets - are fun to wear for casual. Pair them with a little cardigan..........which is what I'm wearing today :)
    Check out Old Navy, if you have one! They honestly have some really great clothes - for both work and casual!
    Go for classic styles - fitted jackets, nice trousers. Kohl's has a lot of really nice clothing that will work through fashion changes.

Have fun! A happy spirit brings out the best in how you look :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: