I don't know why, but I want to like brussel sprouts...

Options
But, no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to find a recipe that I like. Does anyone have any suggestions on making them delicious? My local farmers market sells them on the stalk and really want to get one!

Replies

• mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Roasted.....cut the little ends off, clean 'em up, toss with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper....450 deg for about 15-20 min. YUM

Roasting is good for most veggies...butternut squash is awesome. (but a pain to peel and chop)

You can also steam 'em and squeeze lemon juice on top.
  • VLGmom
    VLGmom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Not diet, but delish. I'm not a sprouts lover - too many over boiled ones as a kid - but ive made these for the past 2 Christmas dinners and even after doubling the recipe this year the bowl was still emptied in no time flat.
    Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta

Servings: 4
    Total time: 0:30
    Source: Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis Show: Everyday ItalianEpisode: Holiday Side Dishes

Ingredients

• 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 3 ounces paper-thin slices pancetta, coarsely chopped
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 3/4 cup low-salt chicken broth

Partially cook the Brussels sprouts in a large pot of boiling salted water, about 4 minutes. Drain.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and saute until beginning to crisp, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until pale golden, about 2 minutes. Add the Brussels sprouts to the same skillet and saute until heated through and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the broth and simmer until the broth reduces just enough to coat the Brussels sprouts, about 3min. Serve.
  • christinezappella
    christinezappella Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    brussel spouts are crazy good! cut 'em off the stalk. Steam them till crispt. Then add them to a sautee pan with some cut up turkey bacon, garlic, and a little oil. Sautee them till crispy and delcious.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I love them roasted with a little sea salt. Even better with melted cheese and garlic powder! Yum!
  • sissytx
    sissytx Posts: 50
    Options
    Roasted!!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    bump (I actually had some tonight that I seasoned and steamed. They were...okay)
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    But, no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to find a recipe that I like. Does anyone have any suggestions on making them delicious? My local farmers market sells them on the stalk and really want to get one!

I feel your pain like you wouldn't believe. I want to love bell peppers, they look great, they smell great. When I see someone that had ordered a fajita my mouth waters......................................until I try to eat one then I gag.
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    A mixture of the above. We slice them and cook them with pancetta in a frying pan, no oil other than what the pancetta gives. Cook them until slightly browned. Then we toss with a few pine nuts. My three teenagers fight over them!
  • SDub5584
    Options
    This is an awesome trick for ANY vegetable: Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a packet of Lipton's onion soup mix, then roast. Back when veggies were free with Weight Watchers it was only one point for all the veggies the soup mix would cover.
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Roasted is the only way to go -YUM
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Fried in olive oil with low fat cheese grilled on top! YUM!
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I hate brussel sprouts! I have never found a good recipe, but I might have to try some of these!
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    i love brussels sprouts with gruyere/racqlete cheese.. The key I found is to boil them for 2-3 minutes just to blanch them and then change the water (takes the bitter out .)
  • castaliavt
    castaliavt Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    roasted.

Or, Rachael Ray has a balsamic brussel sprout recipe that I love. Basically you cut them in half lengthwise and put them facedown in a saute pan. then add (I think) 1/4 c water and 1/4 c balsamic vinegar, cover. Turn on the heat and cook for 20 min ish. Then take off the lid and let the liquid reduce down a bunch. Season w/ salt and pepper and toss w/ a little bit of butter right before serving. SOOOOO GOOD!
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com with pancetta
  • TNDamisi
    TNDamisi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, brussel sprouts. The last time I made them I sauteed them with a little bit of oil, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and onion. They were delish. Sometimes I add bacon as well. You can never go wrong with bacon.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    clean, peel off outer leaves, place in glass pan. Drizzle lightly w/ olive oil, sprinkle lightly w/ salt. Roast till tender.

I always roast onions with them. Most times I do fennel and sweet potato chunks at the same time as well.

I used to hate them but now I love them. Make sure you pick out small to medium size. The larger ones tend to be tougher and a little stronger flavored. I dont mind those now but when I first tried them..yuck!:sick:
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options

I feel your pain like you wouldn't believe. I want to love bell peppers, they look great, they smell great. When I see someone that had ordered a fajita my mouth waters......................................until I try to eat one then I gag.

I feel the same way about peppers.......
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    I want to like tomatoes