Always Hungry

Options
Hi All!

I'm new to this site, and trying to lose 20 pounds. This might not sound like a lot to some of you, but I'm really having trouble. I've hovered on the border of average and overweight by BMI for a few years now, but I feel like everyone is different, and I'm happy to talk to people who want to lose a lot of weight, a little, or just maintain.

My basic problem is that even when I follow the diet guidelines, I always feel hungry. It might be psychological. I exercise moderately. I eat a lot of vegetables, fiber, and protein, drink water, and try to eat slowly. I feel like it doesn't help. Will this go away? (I've only recently started non-casual dieting).

Any tips, tricks, or encouragement would be much appreciated!

TY xx

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    It's always hard in the beginning. After your body gets use to less calories it will calm down. Hang in there.
    1 tbs of peanut butter and 1/2 an apple always works for me.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough; everyone's body has different caloric needs. Try adding more protein and fiber as well- they tend to keep you full for longer.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating your target calories plus exercise calories. If you are, then take a look at your macros (protein, fat, carbs). Usually, increasing protein will help you feel more full longer. Try 1g of protein per pound of body weight, and somewhere around .35-.5g of fat per pound. You can fill the rest with carbs or however you like. Finally, if you choose complex carbs over simple carbs, that may also help you full longer.

Also wanted to add.... you might also try playing around with when and how often you eat. If you're eating 3 meals a day, try 6. If you're eating 6 meals a day, try 3. It's different from person to person, but one schedule may feel a lot better than the other.
  • aisha62777
    Options
    Try eating an apple before your meals ,or after with a big class of water. Apples are about 60-100 calories When ever I feel hungry and i know I just ate. I use the water to fill up my stomach to help me feel full
  • AdrienneHart84
    AdrienneHart84 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree with adding more protein. Yogurt, cheeses, and granola bars usually help me stay fuller longer.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I'm always hungry. Just when I'm trying to count calories, my stomach actually growls. I'm of no help, but understand.
  • Trekjohnc
    Trekjohnc Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Go for it. Track calories and you will be successful. Lots of water.... Grab fruit for snacks. Welcome to the group :)
  • spiffysara27
    spiffysara27 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always keep a ziplock bag of baby carrots in the fridge. Raw veggies don't fill you up but at least they give you something to munch on between meals.
  • oceanchristy
    Options
    This happened to me a lot when i first started losing weight awhile ago.
    It got better as my stomach got used to eating less.

Everytime you get hungry that shouldnt be a meal time , drink a glass of water.
    I
  • Ericacea
    Options
    Actually, this is super encouraging in that I don't feel alone.
  • Ericacea
    Options
    My main problem is carrots not tasting like potato chips. Waah Waah Waaaaaah. :(
  • oceanchristy
    Options
    My main problem is carrots not tasting like potato chips. Waah Waah Waaaaaah. :(

I hear ya !
    If vegetables tasted like cheeseburgers , I would be veryy healthy :)
  • carolena05
    Options
    One of my favorite go-to snacks when I'm craving chips is pistachios---I swear they kinda taste like Pringles :).