HRM?

Options
I am thinking about getting one, cash flow is low, but I would like to know exactly what Im burning. I am wondering what the difference is between a watch style hrm or the chest strap ones? also are there any good ones for relatively cheap? can I go buy one in a store or do I have to get it online?

Replies

• mrh1227
    mrh1227 Posts: 37
    Options
    You can buy some really low grade watch HRM for fairly cheap at a local walmart, 30-40 bucks usually. The difference between most chest and wrist HRMs is that chest ones are generally more accurate, and some are able to give you statistics such as body fat percentage.
  • LittleMissDoll
    Options
    would a cheapie from walmart be accurate?
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-ft4f-bronze.html

This isn't exactly a cheapie...but it's less expensive than some can be and I find mine to be pretty darn accurate. I love it!
  • 15in8
    15in8 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Very good question, I am looking at getting a hrm as well, the Polar ft7 is a standout so far, but I know their must be other options, my budget is around 70-80 dollars Australian. Other names have been Timex and Suunto.

But I am thinking I just need something that will tell me HR and calories, are their cheaper options?
  • 15in8
    15in8 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Here is a good list for comparison http://www.amazon.com/l/3407971
  • Aprillsmith
    Options
    I've spent over $200 in the last two months on hrm. My first was a body bugg. I still have it and immediately realized that it was just way too complex for me. Plus you have to pay a monthly subscription after the initial free six months online subscription. It monitors calories 24/7 and you have to input your meals, etc. I bought the sp version specifically because it lets you upload your info through your phone, well I body bugg doesn't work wll with the htc evo so basically $129, waste. its sitting on my dresser. Sooooo to today I got the polar ft7 and I LOVE IT. It comes with a chest strap and the wrist display. You start and stop it at the beginning and end of your workouts. It displays calories burned as well as alerts you when you are in your "fitness" zone. At 109.99 I think it is definitely worth the investment!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I personally would stay away from the cheap ones at Walmart.. or a Timex brand one. Both are known to break easily, give inaccurate calorie burns, or just not work period.

I had a Polar FT7 which I liked a lot.. it was easy to use/set up and fairly accurate.. I think I paid 78-80 dollars for mine on drugstore.com. I just recently bought a Polar FT60 from Amazon which is phenomenal. Easy to use/set up, and pretty accurate because it comes with the Vo2max function. Plus it's also got training programs, shows you calories burned, what percent of those were fat, etc.

You can buy them in stores, but the cheapest prices are online usually.. either Amazon or Ebay.