Does anyone use a crockpot for making steel cut oats?

Options
amyhollar
amyhollar Posts: 107 Member
I was wondering if anyone uses a crockpot to make batches of steel cut oats overnight? They take me 30-40 minutes to make stovetop and I was thinking about trying this instead, but not sure about proportions of oats to liquid and what setting to use/how long to cook them for? If anyone does this, share your wisdom with me! Thanks!

Replies

• alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've never tried this recipe, but it's gotta be good 'cause Alton Brown is untouchable: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/overnight-oatmeal-recipe/index.html
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I tried steel cut in a crock pot (once) I'm sure I overcooked it. Reminds me ....I should try this again
  • amyhollar
    Options
    Alton Brown is untouchable

^^^SO TRUE!!!!

Thanks for the recipe!
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Every Sunday I make a batch in my crockpot to eat all week long... I LOVE it!!

Here is my "basic" recipe starter - but I changed out a few things.. I eliminated the butter and vanilla, I use splenda and a dash of mollasses instead of brown sugar... I also play around with adding peanut butter, PB2 and bananas.. In any event - this will get you started:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-oats/detail.aspx
  • amyhollar
    Options
    Thanks a lot! sounds like something I need to start doing- I LOVE steel cut oats with a passion! but I hate how long I have to babysit them for when I cook them on the stovetop.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bump for recipe's
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I tried a recipe once and my family did not like it. I saw this recipe and they are cooked in a hot water bath in the cp and so I'm wondering if they would turn out better? This sounds good:
    http://www.simplebites.net/how-to-cook-apple-pie-steel-cut-oats-in-a-slow-cooker/?doing_wp_cron=1327624598
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I will have to try this - I've cooked it in my rice cooker, and it comes out great, but it makes a HUGE mess because it boils over every time!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    This recipe sounds good

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=57058

Think I am going to try it tonight :)
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I use the stove for steel cut oatmeal. Mix it 2:1 - water and/or milk to oatmeal. slow cook. I add some brown sugar, almonds, banana, etc. YUM!
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    I will have to try this - I've cooked it in my rice cooker, and it comes out great, but it makes a HUGE mess because it boils over every time!

What's your setup for the rice cooker? I recently got a Zojiroshi, and am positively in love with it for cooking basmati (on a timer? so it's hot and fresh when I come home from work?!), but would love to try steel cut and rolled oats in at, as well. :)
  • BeUnique1207
    BeUnique1207 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I use this recipe from Hungry Girl:

ER SERVING (1 heaping cup): 249 calories, 4.5g fat, 320mg sodium, 52g carbs, 7.5g fiber, 26g sugars, 4.5g protein -- POINTS® value 5*

This sweet 'n satisfying dish is like the love child of gooey cinnamon apples and brown sugar oatmeal. It's perfect for breakfast, dessert, or snack time. Yay!!!

Ingredients: 8 cups chopped Fuji apples (about 6 apples)

2 tbsp. brown sugar (not packed), divided

1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, divided

1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats

1 cup light vanilla soymilk (we use plain almond milk; less calories too!)

1/3 cup sugar-free pancake syrup

1/2 tsp. salt

2 tbsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread (like Brummel & Brown)

Directions:

In a large bowl, mix apples with 1 tbsp. brown sugar and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Stir to coat apples well. Transfer to the crock pot.

In the empty bowl, combine oats, soymilk, 1 tbsp. brown sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon, syrup, and salt. (All remaining ingredients except butter.) Add 1 cup water and mix well.

Add oat mixture to the crock pot, and gently stir. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 7 hours.

Add butter and mix well. (Do NOT forget this step. Stick a Post-it to your timer if you have to!) Serve and enjoy!

MAKES 5 SERVINGS
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! Super-easy, too. :smile:

The basic recipe is:
    1 cup steel cut oats
    4 cups water

Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

I use a small crock for this. If you want to use a big one, then double the recipe or only cook it for 6 hours, otherwise you'll end up with burnt crusty oatmeal.

You can mix it up however you want to! Sometimes I'll switch part of the water for orange juice. I usually add cinnamon and raisins, diced apple is good, too. Almost any kind of dried fruit would be good in it. I don't usually add sweetener when it's cooking, we just add it to the bowl, but this weekend I did add 1/4 cup maple syrup and that was a nice addition.

OH! And spray the crock first. Trust me on this. LOL
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Every day! We use a small (1.5 qt) crockpot with a lamp timer. 1/2c oats to 13oz water (we like it a bit chewier), on high for two hours.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    hm, some good tips here. thanks.
  • Kresent
    Kresent Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I make them in a thermos. They always come out perfect and it saves a lot of energy. I preheat my thermos for a minute before I pour it out and add the oats and water.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips gang!:flowerforyou:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I've never tried this recipe, but it's gotta be good 'cause Alton Brown is untouchable: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/overnight-oatmeal-recipe/index.html

I've tried it. It's great.
    Full disclousure: I'm an Alton Brown fanboy :)
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options

What's your setup for the rice cooker? I recently got a Zojiroshi, and am positively in love with it for cooking basmati (on a timer? so it's hot and fresh when I come home from work?!), but would love to try steel cut and rolled oats in at, as well. :)

So funny that you guys mentioned this! I just saw this today on a new site I'm checking out:

http://www.katheats.com/everything-cooker
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Bump

Just got steel cut oats and was looking for the same info!