Does anyone use a crockpot for making steel cut oats?

Replies

• MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    I've never tried this recipe, but it's gotta be good 'cause Alton Brown is untouchable: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/overnight-oatmeal-recipe/index.html

I've tried it. It's great.
    Full disclousure: I'm an Alton Brown fanboy :)

Sigh... he's geeky dreamy :) I LOVE HIM!!!
  • horaks
    horaks Posts: 124 Member
    Try this one-very good and my husband loved it!!

http://www.cookingwithjax.com/2011/01/apple-pie-breakfast.html
  • Slow Cooker, Apple Cinnamon Steel-Cut Oatmeal

By Monica Servings: 7 (3/4-cup) servings

Ingredients

•2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2-1/2 to 3 cups chopped)
    •1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
    •1-1/2 cups water
    •1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
    •2 tablespoons brown sugar
    •1-1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into 5-6 pieces
    •1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    •2 teaspoons ground flax seed
    •1/4 teaspoon salt
    •Optional garnishes: chopped nuts, raisins, maple syrup, additional milk or butter

Directions

Coat inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for 7 hours. Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings, if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Freezes well.

To reheat single servings: Put 1-cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup fat-free milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Continue cooking for another minute, or until hot.

Recipe can be doubled in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking time 1 hour.

Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 4 pts per 3/4 cup serving
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    I have a mini crockpot. I combine 1/4 cup SC Oats, 1.5 cups of combined water/skim milk, cinnamon. let it slow cook overnight. I add chia seed and blueberries in the morning and sweeten it to taste.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    I usually do about 2.25 : 1 water to oats. So 2.25 cups water to 1 cup oats. I use cold water, and try to set it as the last thing at night. Ideally, in my cooker, about 6 hours on low is enough, however, I find it's usually a little over cooked if I do longer, so I put it on a timer to start a little later.

I make a whole pot on the weekend, and then portion it off for the week. Add a litle water during the week, and microwave.

If the kids want it, I will add cinamin, nutmeg, and diced apples, and they love it.
  • My Husband & I love steel cut oats. We use the quick cook kind. I make a large batch -8 servings. I use 2 cups of oats & 6 cups of water on the stove. I add butter, cinnamon, 2 Tbsp brown sugar & apples cut up. Boil water I shake a little salt in mine. Add the oats cook for 7 minutes & add the other ingredients like fruit, sweeteners & cinnamon. I find this stuff keeps me from feeling hungry & it tastes good!! We just microwave the amount we want to eat in the morning. It lasts a couple of days.
  • fuzzybear123
    fuzzybear123 Posts: 32 Member
    I do every night... I just put on warm and measure 5:1 instead of 4:1 to make sure they do not get dry
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    I will have to try this - I've cooked it in my rice cooker, and it comes out great, but it makes a HUGE mess because it boils over every time!

What's your setup for the rice cooker? I recently got a Zojiroshi, and am positively in love with it for cooking basmati (on a timer? so it's hot and fresh when I come home from work?!), but would love to try steel cut and rolled oats in at, as well. :)
    Absolutely my favorite way to make oats!! I have one too (Fuzzy Logic rules!!), and the oats come out perfect!

We just use the basic white rice setting for steel cut oats.. the porridge setting isn't quite enough cooking. Throw some dried fruit in there with it, too... OMG yummy!
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    bump
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 959 Member
    FYI.... the quick cook steel cut oats don't work so well in the crock.... tried it last night because I was out of regular ones. The result still tastes all right, but the texture is wrong. It turned out more like really thick regular oatmeal.
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    I make steel cut oats all the time overnight. There's a couple of different ways. I used to put the oats + water in a pan and soak all night. If you do that, they cook up in about 7-10 minutes in the morning.

The other way is to put oats + water into a saucepan, bring it to a boil, cook 3 minutes, cover and turn off and let sit over night. They are ready to go in the morning after a quick nuke in the microwave.

I didn't like the consistency of the oats when I cooked them in the crockpot. I used both a large and small crockpot. Clean up was a mess and the small crockpot boiled over. I quit using a crockpot mainly because of the consistency; too mushy for me.
  • rmqt
    rmqt Posts: 78 Member
    I cheat. I soak the steel cut oats overnight, the boil in the morning. I t cuts cooking time down to about the same as regular oatmeal.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I make steel cut oats all the time overnight. There's a couple of different ways. I used to put the oats + water in a pan and soak all night. If you do that, they cook up in about 7-10 minutes in the morning.

The other way is to put oats + water into a saucepan, bring it to a boil, cook 3 minutes, cover and turn off and let sit over night. They are ready to go in the morning after a quick nuke in the microwave.

I didn't like the consistency of the oats when I cooked them in the crockpot. I used both a large and small crockpot. Clean up was a mess and the small crockpot boiled over. I quit using a crockpot mainly because of the consistency; too mushy for me.

Thank you for this ...... I've only tried crockpot steel cut once & didn't like the texture. This looks like a good alternative for me.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    All the time! The older round crockpot works best but you can use the newer football shaped one too....just don't go over 6 hours or it will be crusty. I add all kinds of things to it as well...frozen blueberries, peaches, etc. Even plain is good.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Wow! Never thought about doing this! I'm going to have to tell my husband about this (he eats steal cut oats)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    bumpthanks guys!
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Yes!!! Super-easy, too. :smile:

The basic recipe is:
    1 cup steel cut oats
    4 cups water

Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

I use a small crock for this. If you want to use a big one, then double the recipe or only cook it for 6 hours, otherwise you'll end up with burnt crusty oatmeal.

You can mix it up however you want to! Sometimes I'll switch part of the water for orange juice. I usually add cinnamon and raisins, diced apple is good, too. Almost any kind of dried fruit would be good in it. I don't usually add sweetener when it's cooking, we just add it to the bowl, but this weekend I did add 1/4 cup maple syrup and that was a nice addition.

OH! And spray the crock first. Trust me on this. LOL

I use this recipe, with the Slow Cooker Liner bags. I actually start in the morning, on med heat, and after 1-2 hours its r4eady.

I line some cookie sheets with heavy duty foil (thinner foil tears) spray with some cooking spray. Scoop 1/2 cup of oats out onto sheets to make "cookies" (or you can use more). Put all the cookies on your cookie sheets, and freeze.

After freezing remove, fill zip bags and put bag in the freezer.

For breakfast. take a cookie out- microwave for 3 minutes. Then add sweetner, etc and eat.
  • I'm not sure if anyone's posted this yet - but it's floating all over Pinterest and looks divine! Have yet to try.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 959 Member
    I'm not sure if anyone's posted this yet - but it's floating all over Pinterest and looks divine! Have yet to try.

It's VERY good :)
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Bump!