fibromyalgia, SPD and chronic pain- need to lose weight to h

Options
Hi -anyone else out there have to deal with fibromyalgia, symphysis pubis dysfunction and chronic pain or something similar? i find it really hard managing these and doing exercise especially on my worse days. plus on my worse spells i comfort eat- any help would be wonderful.

Replies

• Sandra82874
    Options
    I have a bad leg from a mva in '03 and I hurt sometimes (most) but I have found a yoga exercise video that helps me and as far as comfort eating I also can understand that I have done that all my life and I recommend that you eat veggies and fruit or something like that. Hope this helps.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: have you tried swiming or hydotherapy?
  • nuttygal247
    Options
    Hi, I have fibromyalgia and had symphysis pubis dysfunction while I was pregnant 4 years ago. I am on this health kick really to try to help my fibro as I feel so TIRED all the time. They can give meds for the pain but nothing to make us feel AWAKE so I thought the only thing I could do was try to take back some controll and become more healthy to see if that gives me more energy. I also don't drink enough so I'm on a mission to try to drink more fluids to see it that helps. I walked my daughter to pre-school this morning so was really proud of myself but I'm paying for it now and would like to curl up and close my eyes as I feel totally drained! Do you take amytriptyline for your fibro? As far as comfort eating goes I totally relate as I do that ALL the time. I enjoy food, it makes me feel better for that time that I'm eating it and then I end up feeling crap afterwards. I think I got to a point where I HAVE to do something else I am going to be a very poorly person. When I want to comfort eat I try to make myself get up and do something different to take my mind of it! I have made a vision board with pictures of how I want to be and things I want in my life so it keeps reminding me :o) xxxx Jo xxxx
  • suzihead
    Options
    thanks all for those thoughts- sorry still finding my way around the site so stumbled across my original post- oops. porridge brain and brain fog!!! I'm trying not to snack and if i do i'm on teh fruit veg stuff. i'm drinknig water like it's going out of fashion and it is helping me to stay full. I'm really excited about tomorrow's weigh in- staying the same would be positive, whilst lose a little would be amazing. i'm really determined to do this. I was running but my fibro won't let me in this severe cold, so i walk as fast as i can, and then i'm trying to do little bits on the wii- which exhausts me but at least starts attacking my middle. I like seeing what i've eaten as that helps me to stay focussed, especially tonight when my pelvis and sacro iliacs are screaaming.
    I take amitriptylline at night for my fibro, then it's a combination of codeine, ibuprofen and paracetamol. big hugs xxxx
  • sandhillcrane
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia. I decided a few months ago that I was going to do whatever it took to get the weight off. I am definitely in a lot more pain when I exercise. I took a few days off recently and felt better. I have lost 26 pounds and emotionally, I feel much better. It's a trade off. I do use pain medication some days. I just can't get through the day otherwise. I am off my cholesterol medication too! The overall benefits outweigh the cons for me. I was in pain before the exercise too- just more now. I'm not stopping. I like being thinner. :glasses:
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, there does not seem to be anything that totally relieves the pain issues of fibro. I have had it for many years. I use Nortrypatiline that I take about 7-8 PM to help enhance REM sleep. I also take 1/2 of a 300 mcg Melatonin tablet about 8 PM. I don't take the Melatonin every night and it is hard to find that small dosage (300 mcg) of the supplement but that is the dosage that has been studied and seems to work best for me to enhance sleep. I have been able to find it at CVS and Kroger and you can get the Sundown brand on line at Amazon.

I get a massage once a month, deep tissue. Would get it more often but it gets expensive. I find that Yoga or Pilates is the best exercise for me. You do what you can do, Yoga is a non competitive exercise so if there is a pose that is to hard or makes the pain worse you can modify or eliminate it. I try to walk outside as much as I can.

For those that can, I have found some relief from the shoulder and neck pain by sleeping in a recliner. Not an option for every one. I did buy a sleep number adjustable bed and loaded it up with extra memory foam. It is better than a regular bed but not as good as the recliner. However, I just want to be able to sleep in a bed.

When I was working I had to take additional pain meds, sitting long time at a computer was not helpful, but since I retired have not needed more than Tylenol.

I have been fat and thin but the pain is there no matter what. However, for all the other health reasons, need to loose the wt and eat healthy. Good luck.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Suzihead, my girl TLCLuvnLife has the very same issues... If you go to your profile on the top you can look for members... check her out I'm sure you'll have tons in common.

August
  • MladyAlanna
    MladyAlanna Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    arthritis, fibro etc..yep Im with ya on these...all I can do is say good luck and keep smilin
  • grandnana2nine
    Options
    My experience with amitriptyline is that it causes me to gain weight.
  • unsivilized6
    unsivilized6 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia at 18 years old.... At 35 I feel like it has claimed half of my life. I'm taking charge now and pushing through the pain. I've altered my food intake, eliminated all soda/caffeinated beverages, and am exercising more.... I am not able to every day and cannot do it for a full half hour like most folks. But I'm doing what I can. Anything is better than nothing!

I blogged last week about this at: http://unsivilized.blogspot.com/2012/01/fibromyalgia-and-weight-loss.html . I included some links with exercises designed just for fibro folks. I have found that Yoga does a lot for me personally.

Feel free to add me. I started 01-10-12 and have lost ten pounds... ninety-five to go!!

Samantha
  • TLCLuvNLife
    Options
    I hear you! I have fibromyalgia, too! I know how difficult it is to work out when you are in so much pain that you can hardly move! I will tell my story to all as well. Maybe we can all work together to find things that will help each other out! I feel for you! :cry:
  • yeauger
    Options
    yes, I too have fibromyalgia, although I do not have SPD. However I am in cronic pain everyday with planters facittis and Cancer pretty much everywhere in my body. I refuse to give into Pain medication unless I desperately am in need of relief. I find it very hard to exercise, but I control my weight with eating only a 1200 calorie diet a day. That is so hard to do, but I manage it as good as I can.

I will tell you that loosing 50 lbs really helped my fibro. pain. I can tell you that I believe that some medication will cause you to gain weigh, I choose what is best and make a decision to either ask the doctor to change the dosage or get another pill, or reduce the amount I take. If that does not help, I ask the doctor if I could stop taking the meds that cause weight gain. I get my information online.

Hope I have been helpful to you.
    Godbless!!
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Although the antidepressants do make it harder to loose wt. they do help with REM sleep which is your restorative sleep. When you get some quality rest the pain is better. I don't know about everybody else but for me I am only taking a pediatric dose of the med. For instance, a therapeutic dose for depression with Nortryptaline (Pamelor) is 240 mg and I am only taking 30 mg. I see a Rhumetoligist (sp?) because they seem the most versed re: that problem. Dr says I should take 40 mg but I am trying to take the minimal dose that I can tolerate. I think the important point is that even with all the strategies listed the pain does not go away but the strategies combined make the pain less intense.
  • suzihead
    Options
    hello hello would love to be friends especially with anyone who has fibro/spd/chronic pain or knows someone with it. sometimes the observer's view is really helpful as i find i can get terribly blinkered
  • TLCLuvNLife
    Options
    Has anyone else who has fibromyalgia suffered from the effects of "fibro fog?" I have been doing more research into this and the more I learn about it, the more I think that I have possibly been in fibro fog many times when I am having a severe flare up of the other symptoms, (i.e. excruciating pain, awful fatigue, etc.). I have a difficult time focusing, concentrating, trying to remember things that I just did or said 5 minutes ago. Mostly for me, it's trouble focusing. Like, for instance, I know that I have a lot of things to do, (house cleaning, running errands, helping my daughter with her homework), but I can't even concentrate long enough to make a to do list! As a result, nothing gets done! I hate it! It's extremely frustrating!

If anyone else has this same issue and has any ideas on ways to battle the fog, I would really appreciate anything anyone has to offer regarding this "fibro fog."

For anyone who feels that they are unable to do any exercising on days when you have a severe flare up, try to get up anyway. I know that some days that is just not possible. However, if you get up and just move around just a little bit, (just walk about the house for 5 mins.), you actually might feel just a little bit better. I tried to do that and it felt pretty good to move. Be careful though, becuase if you do much more than that, then you are over doing it and actually making the flare up worse. I don't know, it worked for me one time. Just because it worked for me does not mean it will work for you as we are all different, but I think it's important for us to share information like this cuz you never know what might actually help you. :smile:
  • SMcKenna03
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed back in 2007. I am on gabapentin and trazadone which helps me. I work out and do strength training, but I have learned my limits. I also sit in the hot tub at the gym. Lots of stretching!!!! I can not emphasize that enough. For cardio, I do the elliptical for its low impact status.

There is hope. It takes trial and error to find out what works for you. Also, I moved to Florida from the colder climate, which has been over all good for my health.
  • suzihead
    Options
    I'm slowly getting there although the scales have got stuck this week. Have just come back from a brisk 3 mile walk so i've burnt some serious calories. I know i'll pay for it later but i was already hurting quite a bit and to be honest my head is in a much better place and that's more important. I can't work as I find like others I might feel like I can for a few days or at odd moments but then pain levels kick in or i'm suddenly wiped out. My priority is getting stronger so I can manage my pain more and improve my stamina to try to counteract the fibro exhausted state.
  • Angelangi
    Options
    i also suffer from fibromyalgia. Not long ago diagnosed with it, and have suffered with chronic back pain for 8 years..I am also in pain with my foot. Broke two metatarsals in September and it took a long time to heal and i am starting physio on it beginning of march. I cannot walk for long because of my foot, so when i go to the gym i go on the seated bike, the one with the back rest, and the cross trainer (elliptical trainer) mainly as it is easier on my back. I have even used a rowing machine that has a full seat on it.
    I am on Tramadol 200mg X 2 a day, and Gabapentin 300mg 3 X a day. I have had all kinds of treatments and physio is sending me for acipuncture next month, so fingers crossed it helps.
    Someone mentioned fibro fog,, I get it all the time. Feels like im losing my mind half of the time, and im sure my fella thinks im kidding half of the time when i forget something so quickly. I have put on over 4 and a half stone in two years so i had to do this to lose it..
  • kemccarty
    Options
    I am 23 and have suffered from chronic back pain for several years now. I went to drastic measures to try to get relief by having a breast reduction. With time, I realized that my breast size apparently was not what was causing all this discomfort because the pain was not going away. Upon seeing numerous doctors, I was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia.

I have a husband in medical school and many physician friends, and I can attest to what they all recommend for fibromyalgia - healthy diet and regular exercise. Sure, there are days that I am in pain after a workout, but that is not to say that I would not have been in just as much pain if I had not exercised. In fact, I notice that the knots in my muscles soften drastically when I have been getting a good workout in.

It is easy to just be lazy and eat junk food, but I can assure you that living a healthy lifestyle will only help us struggling with fibro. If you feel that going to the gym would be too rough on your body, go to a local pool and tread water or take a stroll around your neighborhood. I am a firm believer in only medicating myself if absolutely necessary. Until I have hard evidence that my increased activity level and improved diet is not helping me, I don't think there is any reason to be medicated for this diagnoses.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    My wife has FM and also a good friend has it too. Both of them have discovered that exercise is the best remedy for it once you get past the initial pain stages. It's a case of pushing on through. I don't know anything about the SPD though so I can't comment on that.

My friend has actually not had a flare up since she started doing taekwondo several days a week a year ago.

Elliptical is a good low impact solution if you have joint pain. You could also try Yoga and Tai Chi, both will increase your strength and muscle tone significantly which will always help with fm.