Is this a 'fat person' thing or should I see a doctor?

Options

Replies

• Bombbombgo
    Options
    Wear leggings under your workout gear... Especialy baggy sweats and don't workout or go on long walks in shorts. If your skin is covered by cloth and doesnt rub against itself it won't happen. :)
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Actually, if they are large bumps, it's usually inflamed sweat glands under the skin. The pore might get clogged, or you just ruffle the hair too much, and it irritates the sweat glands. DO NOT SHAVE that area, especially when you have this issue, because it'll irritate the skin more.
    I actually spoke with my gyno about this issue because I used to get them very bad (sometimes up to a golf ball sized mass inside!) on my breasts, stomach, and legs. She honest to God told me to walk around naked as much as I can. Also, using cornstarch powder, I like using Gold Bond ultimate, can help wick away moisture and ease the rubbing. Hot baths can help too if they are close to the surface enough to aspirate on their own.
    If it's super painful, which it can be sometimes, I'd see the doc to have it aspirated, as lots of times, the pain means there's too much trapped sweat and it's abscessing.

I know, lots of TMI there but I seriously had a 15 minute discussion on how to get it to stop happening on my boobs because it's embarrassing!
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    This isn't a joke! One of my patients said this worked for her.

anti-monkey-butt.jpg
  • Kaddyshack21
    Kaddyshack21 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Normal. Heck even when i was thin i got them sometimes if i wore tight jeans all day, to say, band camp. No worries at all. Maybe use vaseline or something like it that wont stain clothes when you are active?

DON'T USE VASELINE. BAD IDEA!!! It's most likely a heat rash/chaffing. Use baby powder or a lot of people also wear those boy shorts under their clothes for an extra barrier of protection. No worries.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to see a doctor, I have always had this issue. I can't wear skirts, or short shorts. I am sure it will eventually go away.

Oh, don't not wear skirts if you want to because of that. Get yourself some pedi pants (or cut off some soft cotton jammies) to wear under skirts. They are a lifesaver....they keep your bare thighs from rubbing together, and they keep you so cool because any sweat is being absorbed by the cotton. I had pedipants on under my wedding dress and I swear they saved the night. It was about 900 degrees under my dress and I would have been so miserable without them.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    i havent gotten any lately but if i wear skirts or dresses i do :/ they suck but its cuz ur thighs r rubbin :/ grrr lol
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    It's normal as far as I know and you don't need to see a doctor. If it gets painful and you'd like to do something about it there are some boards on here discussing some different products you can use that help. There is one people always recommend but I forget.. Just search :)

I used to use "glide" when I worked out. You can buy it at a sporting goods store.
  • Debbie7746
    Options
    This isn't a joke! One of my patients said this worked for her.

anti-monkey-butt.jpg
    I was going to post about" Monkey Butt" Both kinds..This is the BEST stuff for between the thighs. I also get like heat rash under the breasts and use it there also. I am a diabetic and under my belly that hangs down : ( I get BAD irritation that NOTHING prescribed helps. Even in the "crack of my butt" from sweat gets irritated. I make sure I clean myself and also use Pampers baby wipes frangrance free to clean all mentioned areas. I even ask the hubby to check me to make sure I have no real bad rashes..Thank God nothing is sacred after 40 years of marriage..lmao..We make a joke saying we are the official *kitten* inspectors for each other because he gets rashes (to put it bluntly around the *kitten* :) ...and we each have our own bottle of Monkey with a powder puff...NOW I have to admit that for under my belly from it hanging down after I "air" it out naked lying on the bed TMI that the absolutely best stuff (recoomended by my pharmacist) is a cream called SWEEN (the maker) They use to years ago when you went to hospital that they gave you this cream/lotion for free. You can buy it over the counter but you can NOT find it at Walmart,Walgreen,Eckerds, or CVS..You have togo to a "mom & pop" pharmacy and more than likely they have it ..If not they will order it for you. You can google it online and I am sure order it there..It is like a light beige color and has a little smell(not bad)..it is NOT cheap..Usually a large container(like what a Noxema jar use to look like but it is like white color with pink letters)..A large jar(plastic) cost around 16.00 to 17.00 dollars. Sorry about writing so much and takling about my *kitten*..lol..Hey were know we have one and we are here to help one another..Good luck.. :
  • BlueEyesXoXo
    Options
    When I was heavy I would run and get them. Just get some spandex to wear under your shorts. TA-DA! Problem fixed! :wink: Don't worry, it goes away as the weight does! :happy:
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I use a bit of corn starch baby powder every day, and in the summer I have Gold Bond powder on hand to avoid heat rash. I also very much wear bike shorts under skirts and dresses, because they're cheap and comfy.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Very common, I'm afraid! I used to use Lanacane Anti Chafing gel and always wore cycle shorts, leggings or long-legged control underwear under my skirt in summer.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I had just about every type of fat person thing, but check it out with a Dr anyway.
    Why risk it?
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I've never had this but I LIVE in leggings/tights if I wear dresses & skirts. Very grateful leggings came back around! :happy: x
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Yes, chafing. Use Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel or the store brand equivalent. Works like a charm.
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    Nappy rash cream and baby powder.
  • jetlbomb
    jetlbomb Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Cycling shorts, short leggings for full-length leggings work wonders. I can't remember the last time I went out bare-legged under a dress! So uncomfortable.

I used to get chafing when I wore thin tights too. I don't wear tights much but I think that's stopped at my current weight.
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Baby powder will reduce the chafing from moisture. I use it were the belly hangs down as well.
    My friction bumps turn into headless pimples. Had to have doc remove the larger ones.
  • sophiareal
    sophiareal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sounds like chafing, so definitely not a fat person thing - most runners are painfully familiar with this. As to how to avoid this, I would look on runners world.com , they have some great tips. And I would suggest staying away from baby or talcum powder, that can actually make it worse,many go with something like Vaseline or so.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Nope you dont need to go see a doctor! It happens to more or less everyone whose legs rub together.. It happens to me all the time, especially when im in jeans! because they are a little baggy betweeen the top of the legs, my legs do rub together, and when i wear leggings aswell! I use Sudocream (that thick cream for babies bums) i rub in a little bit of that on before bed, and when i wake up ive got just the tiniest bump there and its fine! It does suck big time, as it bloody burns like mad when you walk!! But its just one of those things =/. i would go to a pharmacy and look at some creams for rashes and that should help :)
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    yes sounds like chaffing when you are not exersicing baby powder it keep it as dry as possible,but if you are going for a walk say(sounds silly) oil it up with something so there is less friction,say vasaline or baby oil....(no boys do not even start that thread :devil: )
    good luck,as you loose weight they will stop rubbing xx