What is your secret?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• GThorp
    GThorp Posts: 2
    Options
    exactly.
    never hungry.... and was just laughing at a thread where someone was worried about eating a burger that they craved... while eating homemade chili... thats basically a bowl of hamburger and beans.. lol.

The only things I worry about when eating a burger are these:

A) Quality of Meat: If I can get grass-fed instead conventional grain-fed meat, I'm a happy guy. Sure it tastes a little different than what most people are used to, but it also is a much better choice than a burger from say McDonalds. It has more balanced Omega 3:Omega 6 ratio, the animals are treated much more humanely, and the overall quality of meat is just better.

B) Oil: For fatty ground beef, you really don't need any oil. But personally, I'll either just throw in some grass-fed butter or coconut oil to up the fat content and make the burger taste even better. If someone is eating a burger cooked in vegetable oil, canola oil, etc. then there is something to be concerned about.

C) Bun: Just forget the bun. I used to be a big bread lover, but these days a big piece of lettuce does the job just as well. I ate at a restaurant with my girlfriend and her family a few weeks back, and asked the waitress to forgo the bun for a few big slices of lettuce. She ended up just bringing me shredded lettuce with the burger, so I resorted to sprinkling the lettuce on top and eating the burger with my fork. Probably looked like a weirdo, but you can't eat high-fat, low-carb without getting a few looks from the masses.

Now, I'm not always able to get a grass fed burger cooked in coconut oil and served up on two big slices of lettuce (see example above), but when eating a burger I try and stick to this as much as possible. If faced with the option of a less-than-great choice for a burger, I either chalk it up to 80/20 or fast.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to the spreadsheet I'm using, direct from the USDA.

http://www.ers.usda.gov/Data/foodconsumption/spreadsheets/foodloss/Calories.xls#Percents!a1

So this doesn't tell me a whole lot. CDC chose to present their data differently than you did from the raw USDA data. I'd say its inconclusive at best. Just like most studies once you start comparing them.

Ugh.

Tiger's data is current (2009), Your data is from 2000.

Just like a good little Taubsian you're attempting to use outdated data to support your premise while more current data exists.

Think about it for a second. In 2000, we were coming off of the "low-fat" 80's and 90's. OF COURSE carbs were up and fat was down.

Since then, carb intake has dropped (percentage-wise) yet people continue to get fatter.
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

http://www.ers.usda.gov/Data/foodconsumption/spreadsheets/foodloss/Calories.xls#Percents!a1

Interesting. Basically, and not too surprising, we just eat why more calories now, and that's why many of us are overweight.

I wonder how the home cooked, versus prepared home heated, versus restaurant, percentages have changed over this time period.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

So this doesn't tell me a whole lot. CDC chose to present their data differently than you did from the raw USDA data. I'd say its inconclusive at best. Just like most studies once you start comparing them.

Ugh.

Just like a good little Taubsian you're attempting to use outdated data to support your premise while more current data exists.

Think about it for a second. In 2000, we were coming off of the "low-fat" 80's and 90's. OF COURSE carbs were up and fat was down.

Since then, carb intake has dropped (percentage-wise) yet people continue to get fatter.

Tiger also neglected to include carbs from nuts and dairy products. The point is, there are many different ways to interpret the data.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights, eat high protein, no processed or direct sugar.

That said, I do eat the sugar in milk, fruits etc, but as little as possible. I also allow myself a sugary treat on Fridays, today it was a mocha frappuccino :-) I also eat low carb in general.

I've never found weight loss hard, you just need to eat less. You don't even need to work out. I like the results and achievement of weight lifting though.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Close my mouth!
  • kbean33
    kbean33 Posts: 50
    Options
    bump
  • dbutorac
    dbutorac Posts: 120
    Options
    When you feel the urge to eat, & it is not the right time. i. e. evening or mid-afternoon. Try brushing your teeth Or gargling with Listerine. Everyone likes a fresh mouth & it makes you not want to ruin it with food.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Ugh.

Tiger also neglected to include carbs from nuts and dairy products. The point is, there are many different ways to interpret the data.

And in the interest of parity, I also left out the protein and fat content in the nuts and dairy. Since Dairy consumption decreased, and nuts increased by roughly 20 calories, I didn't see either as being necessary to include.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    When you feel the urge to eat, & it is not the right time. i. e. evening or mid-afternoon. Try brushing your teeth Or gargling with Listerine. Everyone likes a fresh mouth & it makes you not want to ruin it with food.
    There's a right time to eat? I did not know this. :ohwell:
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Ugh.

And in the interest of parity, I also left out the protein and fat content in the nuts and dairy. Since Dairy consumption decreased, and nuts increased by roughly 20 calories, I didn't see either as being necessary to include.

Yeah but every food on that spreadsheet has varying degrees of carbs. So to get the most accurate results, you'd have to factor out how an item that increased in consumption compares to one that decreased by normalizing the carb density. Not worth anyone's time in my opinion.

I just don't see Ron's argument that just because your raw data is from 2009, that it is more valid than the data I used which was already interpreted by supposed experts. Obesity didn't just start, it was already pretty bad in 2000. Also I did read somewhere recently that the obesity epidemic has stalled in growth.
  • Siena_Risley_13
    Options
    um
  • karenlynnrivera
    karenlynnrivera Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Zumba
  • Siena_Risley_13
    Options
    If I told you, it wouldn't be a secret any more.
    then obviosly u don't wanna help this girl?!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I smoke a lot of crack. Really keeps the pounds off.

No but really, there isn't really a secret. When I'm hungry, I eat. When I'm not, I don't. I don't eat junk food (often). I drink a lot of water. I exercise regularly. Boom.
  • Siena_Risley_13
    Options
    I smoke a lot of crack. Really keeps the pounds off.

No but really, there isn't really a secret. When I'm hungry, I eat. When I'm not, I don't. I don't eat junk food (often). I drink a lot of water. I exercise regularly. Boom.
    SORRY BUT U R WRONG there are secrets i mean look at how many people commented that means they all a secret that helps them!!!!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :huh: :huh: :yawn: :bigsmile: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: