For All the ladies with 6 pack abs out there....

Options

Replies

• MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm not there yet but my mom is. She is in her 40s and had a C section and she has a beach body. Cut out white carbs, eat whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat/whole grain bread) that is where you can really tone up that tummy :)
  • txwildfire
    Options
    bump
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Everybody has abs, however most of us have fat covering them up. Maintain as much muscle mass as possible while you get super lean and your abs will suddenly appear. Also when you do get lean they will show even better with less subcutaneous water (dry look).

Abs are also like calves in my opinion in the fact that you are very genetically predisposed to how they will look. Some people can get really lean and still only have a "4 pack" or a "weird looking 6 pack". Not everybody has a super aesthetic 8 pack.
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I really don't think so. Get that weight down, eat healthy and go to town on the exercises. I tried to buy all the protein stuff, and my husband just took them out of my hands in GNC and put them back on the shelves. Try looking in to "Bodybuilding.com" =) Tey have great ab workouts where you don't need gym machines or anything!
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    So i see a lot of stunning toned up women with gorgeous profile pictures out there, its from you that i need your help. I have finally reached my goal weight for weight loss (well, maybe a lil bit more to go), and I've been training for the past 3 weeks pretty intensely. (and not seeing much of a change).Usually doing about 30 minutes cardio, added with strength training. (doing 30ds at the moment as well)
    However, I know that everyone says "6 packs are made in the kitchen"
    What i was curious to know is that if i want that nice definition, and muscle tone do i have to buy all the whey powders, and protein shakes, and watch my macros and all that stuff? Low carb high protein meals? Ive done a bit of research on here but it mainly involves men building mass, which i know women cant do (not as bulky as men anyway), and there was all this stuff about doing low weights and high reps, or heavy weights with low reps, everyone seems to have a different opinion on everything.

I know it doesnt help, but I'm a bit on the poor side, i dont have a gym membership (as i live 45 minutes out of town and dont have a car), I do have a treadmill, an elliptical (not mine clearly..) 2lb weights, 5lb weghts and one 35lb dumbell and a stability ball.

Can anyone help me on the right track to getting that definition cranking? Ive tried youtube videos and stuff, id love to try insanity, but its way too expensive. (currently jobless too... sigh)

any suggestions would be great regarding diet tips/exercise anything

Thanks ladies
    Abs all come down to body fat %. The lower the percentage the more visible they are. So for that to happen you'd need to figure out what your lean body mass is and then shoot for 15%-18% body fat.

Here's an example: if your lean body mass was 100lbs, then you divide that by 1 minus the body fat % you want to be (say 15% so it's 1-.15= .85) you'll get the weight in pounds you need to shoot for.

So 100lbs (lean body mass) divided by .85 equals 117.64. So your goal weight would be 117.64lbs. to have 15% body fat. Now this is an estimation since you could lose more lean tissue along the way, but a pretty good one.

Try to find out what your lean body mass is first though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

probably a silly question, but how do i find out my lean body mass?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Abs all come down to body fat %. The lower the percentage the more visible they are. So for that to happen you'd need to figure out what your lean body mass is and then shoot for 15%-18% body fat.

Here's an example: if your lean body mass was 100lbs, then you divide that by 1 minus the body fat % you want to be (say 15% so it's 1-.15= .85) you'll get the weight in pounds you need to shoot for.

So 100lbs (lean body mass) divided by .85 equals 117.64. So your goal weight would be 117.64lbs. to have 15% body fat. Now this is an estimation since you could lose more lean tissue along the way, but a pretty good one.

IDEA Fitness member

This!
    Ditto niner. It's all about body fat percentage, which mean you'll most likely need to cut more fat (and weight). Do it slow, with a small calorie deficit and while lifting weights in order to preserve muscle. Also get adequate protein which I've read is 1gram for every pound of lean body weight. It takes a lot of time and dedication to lose those last few pounds of fat.

Additionally, it's genetics. Your body might store all the last bit of fat on your stomach. (For me, it stores it on my thighs, and I actually have a hint of abs at 25%). Due to this, you might even need to go a little lower on body fat percentage to get the abs you want. Or you could just learn to accept a flat stomach and not necessarily a "6-pack".

...and this!

Lower you're body fat and you should see abs eventually. The lifting weights and enough protein help preserve muscle mass.

You don't need protein shakes if you're getting adequate protein through food, but that is hard on a limited calorie amount, so supplements may help.

Edit: I also don't believe that you have to do low carb to get abs. Some people do, but I don't think it's necessary for most people. I store fat mainly around my stomach, yet still saw slight definition at around 17-18% body fat. I've always eaten 200g+ carbs.
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    So i see a lot of stunning toned up women with gorgeous profile pictures out there, its from you that i need your help. I have finally reached my goal weight for weight loss (well, maybe a lil bit more to go), and I've been training for the past 3 weeks pretty intensely. (and not seeing much of a change).Usually doing about 30 minutes cardio, added with strength training. (doing 30ds at the moment as well)
    However, I know that everyone says "6 packs are made in the kitchen"
    What i was curious to know is that if i want that nice definition, and muscle tone do i have to buy all the whey powders, and protein shakes, and watch my macros and all that stuff? Low carb high protein meals? Ive done a bit of research on here but it mainly involves men building mass, which i know women cant do (not as bulky as men anyway), and there was all this stuff about doing low weights and high reps, or heavy weights with low reps, everyone seems to have a different opinion on everything.

I know it doesnt help, but I'm a bit on the poor side, i dont have a gym membership (as i live 45 minutes out of town and dont have a car), I do have a treadmill, an elliptical (not mine clearly..) 2lb weights, 5lb weghts and one 35lb dumbell and a stability ball.

Can anyone help me on the right track to getting that definition cranking? Ive tried youtube videos and stuff, id love to try insanity, but its way too expensive. (currently jobless too... sigh)

any suggestions would be great regarding diet tips/exercise anything

Thanks ladies

IDEA Fitness member

This post would be helpful if I could calculate my lean body mass RIGHT NOW. ehh, how does one do this?
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    nevermind, figured it out using an online calculator, thoguh that may not be completely accurate

using the calculation provided here, my lean body mass is 107.16 and I would need to be 126 at 15% :)
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    bump - Good info
  • amoore1960
    Options
    I am a lady with extremely defined 6 pack abs and obliques. I like keeping my two cents simple, so here it is:

1. Genetics
    2. Low bodyfat
    3. Always keep a tight core in all of your resistance training
    4. Good ab workout with a bit of weight, there are some stability ball exercises on youtube and some floor curnches using a 6-8 weighted ball as well as reverse crunches on the floor..
    5. Initially used cardio, but for the last 10 of my 13 years of consistent workouts, cardio involves a 5-10 minute warmup (that is what a lifestyle of eating clean can do=great results with minimal cardio)..at this point I only do it to achieve extreme overall definition and it works very quickly since it is not often I do it for frequently, lengthy periods of time.

I began weight training when I was 39. I am now 52 and have never lost my abs...totally defined and even more than the average woman. I performed several types of floor crunches with a weighted ball to include working all parts of the abdominal musculature. I still do those and using a stability ball.

I am a 16 year registered nurse and a certified personal trainer with NASM. I keep my food very clean. After 13 years of this, I can say that yes, it works..but I had to work it consistently and enjoy it :)
  • GrahamBarwick
    Options
    I am a lady with extremely defined 6 pack abs and obliques. I like keeping my two cents simple, so here it is:

1. Genetics
    2. Low bodyfat
    3. Always keep a tight core in all of your resistance training
    4. Good ab workout with a bit of weight, there are some stability ball exercises on youtube and some floor curnches using a 6-8 weighted ball as well as reverse crunches on the floor..
    5. Initially used cardio, but for the last 10 of my 13 years of consistent workouts, cardio involves a 5-10 minute warmup (that is what a lifestyle of eating clean can do=great results with minimal cardio)..at this point I only do it to achieve extreme overall definition and it works very quickly since it is not often I do it for frequently, lengthy periods of time.

I began weight training when I was 39. I am now 52 and have never lost my abs...totally defined and even more than the average woman. I performed several types of floor crunches with a weighted ball to include working all parts of the abdominal musculature. I still do those and using a stability ball.

I am a 16 year registered nurse and a certified personal trainer with NASM. I keep my food very clean. After 13 years of this, I can say that yes, it works..but I had to work it consistently and enjoy it :)

well said.

I find back extentsions etc are vital for core work too
  • gameovergt
    Options
    cardio is the only thing that will bring that out plus genetics. Side planks, or regular planks are helpful. Plenty of ab workouts out there for free on youtube.
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't have a six pack yet as I still have weight to lose but I have been doing Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack DVD since shortly after Christmas (I'm on my 4th week) and have noticed a huge difference in abdominal muscle tone and have lost several inches. It only costs 9.97 at Walmart.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    I've never restricted any foods other than junk for myself. Ever. I just bust my behind. I don't have a full 6 pack, but it's pretty close. I do tons and tons of core work and 30 minutes of cardio almost every day. Even on my non strength training days, I still do some core stuff. And I didn't start working on it until September. But like everyone is saying it comes down to %body fat. I'm at 12%.

ETA: I dont do shakes, either. Those things are nasty! Blech!
    Being honest here, elite female athletes who compete in Fitness and Figure comps come in at 15% and are ripped. Looking at your pics, I'd say you're in the 19% to 21% range. If you were 12% you'd have FULL ON 6 pack, plus major definition in your shoulders, arms, legs and back. Just saying that whatever source you're using to give you your body fat reading isn't accurately doing it.
    But to add, you do look fabulous!

IDEA Fitness member
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    wow such great info guys!! thanks heaps for all of this. Looks like i have to continue losing that stubborn bellyness,
    dam genetics!
    i really appreciate it all!
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • tulip07
    tulip07 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bump
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Bizidibump...
  • mjbrowne
    mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much to everyone for all of the input! I had an almost 4 pack in high school..and looking forward to getting down to goal weight so I can at least ATTEMPT to get one (or better) again! I'm 35 now and have two kids..so not sure if my body will allow me to have defined abs..but I'm darn sure going to try!!!! :)
  • Amybcb
    Amybcb Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I don't have 6 pack abs now... but I did prior to having children (well more like a 4 pack). I can say from my experience back then that I didn't watch my macros at all, or use protein powders or anything like that. I ate mostly healthy (but still ate carbs and junk if I wanted to sometimes). What I did do was 500 crunches a day (various ab exercises, some for obliques, some for lower abs etc). I was faithful in this as I LOVED having the hard stomach - sooo sexy. Maybe others get their hard abs another way, but that was what I did back then. Good luck