working out while working???? any ideas?

Options
i work in a busy restaurant / pub at weekends and am usually on ma feet running about for 6+ hours carrying plates, pouring pints etc...... how would you measure this calorie wise? roughly?
any ideas?
x

Replies

• oouurr__aayylleeyycan
    Options
    Best thing to do is get a Heart Rate Monitor which will track your calories burned fairly accurately. But then it also depends what you set your activity level at when you started your profile with MFP - I have an office job for example, so mine's set at sedentary but if yours is active like this then I'd say you need to change yours to moderate and not log it. I'm not an expert though so I'd be interested to see what other people think x
  • ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    av got 2 jobs u see, one of them is in an office sitting about during the day, and the pub i just a wee holiday funding job i do at weekends lol
  • flyingwrite
    Options
    I agree with the heart monitor idea. They make them that look like watches so it won't get in your way
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are working out!

But when it comes to the office.... butt clenches while sitting. Tightening and relaxing your abs while sitting. Also, push ups with your hands on your desk and chair dips with ur chair or desk. That's what i do. I try for 25 desk push-ups every hour.
  • missystinky
    missystinky Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, You can also look it up under Cardio exercise. the other day I logged 2 hours of cooking/prepping food. It all adds up. If there isn't a Waitressing choice, then chose shopping or brisk walking. You are most definitely burning alot of calories doing that.
  • princilam99
    princilam99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a Fitbit to track all of your steps at your pub job. And in the office I have a stationary peddler I put under my desk and use it 30 minutes every few hours.
  • bells4her
    Options
  • pdjohnson40
    pdjohnson40 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great advice. I have a sit down job also, and these suggestions will really help me out. Thanks for posting!
  • dcsump2
    dcsump2 Posts: 73
    Options
    A pedometer might be useful for your weekend job. As for the office job, try to get up and move as much as possible. And take the stairs if you can. If you work in a high-rise, you can always find the staircase and do a few flights on your lunch breeak. :)
  • JansterL
    JansterL Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I work in a factory and I walk all day long, up/down stairs or platforms & lifting things....

What did you pick as your MFP profile? Mine is 'active' and the calories to consume is 1920.

I just started this MFP and I'm not really looking to lose weight (but to be fit and eat healthier) - and for the past week, it's been interesting to see the calories I've consumed compared to the 1920. I've been very close to that every day - and I haven't changed anything in terms of how or what I eat. I've been the same weight for the past 10 years (+/- 5lbs).

There's no real way to track your calories consumed at work or even while you sleep. Everyone is different.

You'll have to just pick ONE profile and eat normally (per say) for a week and compare the calorie numbers. You'll know if you need to change your profile.....

The active profile seems pretty accurate for me.
  • dcsump2
    Options
    A stationary peddler under your desk? That's a great idea!
  • dcsump2
    Options
    I would suggest a Fitbit to track all of your steps at your pub job. And in the office I have a stationary peddler I put under my desk and use it 30 minutes every few hours.

A stationary peddler under your desk? That's a great idea!
  • ludogx87
    Options

wow that website is amazing..... shows in 7 1/2 hours (what am in pub tonight which i put in as - walking at 2.5mph) i could be burning up to 1250 calories... OOOOFTTT

thanks xxx
  • starkid120
    starkid120 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    What do you have your activity level set at? MFP lists 'active' as being someone who waitresses, or has a very active job (as it seems your jobs are).

If it's already set to active, you don't want to double count those burned calories.

Just my 2 cents...
  • ludogx87
    Options
    What do you have your activity level set at? MFP lists 'active' as being someone who waitresses, or has a very active job (as it seems your jobs are).

If it's already set to active, you don't want to double count those burned calories.

Just my 2 cents...

its not set as active because i only typically do 3 shifts in the pub, n one of them is a monday night when its quite so i sit about doing nothing but chatting anyway, usually only a friday and saturday night shift where am running about riot, - mon fri i sit from 8-4 at a computer lol xx
  • JansterL
    JansterL Posts: 28 Member
    Options

its not set as active because i only typically do 3 shifts in the pub, n one of them is a monday night when its quite so i sit about doing nothing but chatting anyway, usually only a friday and saturday night shift where am running about riot, - mon fri i sit from 8-4 at a computer lol xx

Set your profile to match your regular job (M-F) and go from there.

Do you really need to track the calories you're burning at the pub? If you don't track it...... then everything you do on this site will make it look like you should do even more exercise....and that extra push, is a good thing!!