Oooo Chicken and Salad!

Options
badgerbadger1
badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
I <3 u guise and you're always consistent in giving me positive feedback so I thought I'd run this past you.

So I was pondering how to make my chicken salads (you know meal sized salad with the grilled chicken on top) more flavourful. The salad always tastes a little bland after you eat all the chicken on top. So I got this idea.

I figured it would be pretty ingenious to take all the salad veggies including the lettuce and marinate them in the same container as the uncooked chicken for a few hours. Then I would drain the marinade, plate the flavour infused salad and grill the chicken to put on top. What do you think of this idea?

I have like 8 people coming over tonight and I'm going to serve this, so a quick response would be great so I can get busy getting the lettuce and veggies ready to marinade with the defrosted chicken breast.

Thanks all!

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING (OK, it's just an Admin Edit from Steven): Please note that this post is in "Chit-Chat," and not in "Food and Nutrition." This recipe was made IN JEST, not to INGEST. Humor resuming in 3...2...1....

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't marinade lettuce
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    That depends. Are you using iceberg or spinach?
  • likeaphoenix28
    Options
    Are you serious?
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    I wouldn't wash the chicken either, you might ruin the flavor. I would actually sit the chicken out for about 6 hours at room temp, I hear this helps the flavoring as well.
  • badgerbadger1
    Options
    I wouldn't marinade lettuce

Y not? This is why I'm a chef and you're not.
  • badgerbadger1
    Options
    Are you serious?

Yes why?
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Are you serious?
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Are you going to use the used marinade to make a dressing for it? That would add some extra flavour as well....
  • RocketsGirl
    RocketsGirl Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I think that romaine would hold up the best. this sounds like a super yummy idea. please let me know how it turns out.

oh and can we get the calories on this?
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    I wouldn't wash the chicken either, you might ruin the flavor. I would actually sit the chicken out for about 6 hours at room temp, I hear this helps the flavoring as well.

^This! I do this alllllll the time.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Are you serious?

Yes why?
    Cz lettuce and moisture dont mix. Ever had a soggy salad? Thats why you always put a dressing on at the last minute.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I'd add some pork, preferable source from outside the US. Mmmm mmmm mmmm!
  • likeaphoenix28
    Options
    You said you wanted to marinate the veggies in the same container as the uncooked chicken, then plate the veg and cook the chicken. You will be contaminating the veggies with raw chicken=bacteria.
  • badgerbadger1
    Options
    Are you going to use the used marinade to make a dressing for it? That would add some extra flavour as well....

That's brilliant!!!!
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't... raw chicken is known for carrying a lot of salmonela (sp? ) and other nasty diseases that could be passed to the veggies...

What about having a mini topping bar with a lot different kinds of salad dressings, cheeses, croutons, etc for people to choose from... Mrs. Dash and black pepper spice up a salad a lot! Maybe try seasoning the chicken a different way too if you want to spice that up as well.
  • badgerbadger1
    Options
    You said you wanted to marinate the veggies in the same container as the uncooked chicken, then plate the veg and cook the chicken. You will be contaminating the veggies with raw chicken=bacteria.

No my chicken is free roam grass fed from a local farm, there's no bacteria on it!
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    i made a chicken salad last night for dinner... not quite sure if it would interest you, but it has A LOT of flavor! :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/cutiekimmie18/view/kimmie-s-super-awesome-dinner-picks-1-26-202082#comments

419962_10150511206880785_556205784_9087264_838519125_n.jpg
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    LOVE ME SOME FOOD POISIONING SALAD!!!!!!!!!!!! Yum yum!
  • GingerDarlene
    Options
    Couldnt you get food poisoning?
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Sounds like cross contamination and you will probably get salmonella!