anyone training for a marathon?

Options

Replies

• ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm running my 5th marathon in June (Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN).

For my first marathon I followed Hal Higdon's beginner program and finished in 4:34. I've improved progressively to a PR last year of 4:04. Hoping to improve even further and run 3:40 this year and qualify for Boston. I'm also going to follow the Furman FIRST program this time around.

I lived in Iowa and now in WI. I either hit the treadmill or brave the great outdoors. One way or another I'll end up running in all sorts of interesting weather before June. :)
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first full in June! I've completed 3 half marathons to date. I'm working on improving my half time but for the full I'm just aiming to finish!
  • impersonally
    Options
    Awesome to hear from other runners :)

I have some joint issues too, mostly knee pain when I run a lot. That's why I'm going to try running 3-4 times per week instead of the 5 in the Higdon novice 1 plan. I'll have to take a look at the novice 2 plan (and the FIRST plan that was mentioned).

I have used a knee brace in the past for hiking, and maybe I'll have to try it for running if it gets bad this time ... but I'd prefer not to. It seems uncomfortable being in one for so long.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Training for my first but haven't registered yet. The one I'm shooting for has a time limit so I'm going to do late registration to make sure I get through some of the longest runs well under time. Add me if you like! Always nice to have runner friends.
  • impersonally
    Options
    For those of you familiar with the Furman FIRST program -- I am looking at it now and wanted to make sure I'm understanding their acronyms. ST, MT and LT are short / mid / long tempo based on the tables they have for your 5k time, is that right? And what is PMP?

I like their idea of doing fewer running sessions but making them "count" for more. Maybe I'll switch over to that program.
  • nrjohnso
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of training for the Cleveland Half Marathon in May! I am super nervous because this is my first race. I am following higdons novice training plan. I usually run more than what it says on the plan, is this bad? I don't want to burn out since I still have months before the actual race.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of training for the Cleveland Half Marathon in May! I am super nervous because this is my first race. I am following higdons novice training plan. I usually run more than what it says on the plan, is this bad? I don't want to burn out since I still have months before the actual race.

If you are used to running more than what the program has you starting at, I would continue with your current weekly mileage until you get to the part of the program where it matches up, then follow it the rest of the way.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

No, there is no de facto standard on marathon training. Trust your body more than anything. If you can do more than the training plan says and you feel good, go for more. If your running ability is above novice, there's no reason to hold yourself back just because the plan says so. You just gotta be careful when you stray that you understand what you're doing so that what you do isn't counterproductive. Running a few miles longer each time probably won't hurt you, but adding another 20 miler might be a bad idea if you get what I mean.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm training for LA in March, my first and loving it!
  • imitedlay7
    imitedlay7 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a marathon! I was training for the Nashville Rock and Roll, but I won't be able to go since the Navy has decided I'm going to Japan, so I'm going to continue on my training plan, then move into the 50 mil training plan and hopefully find a marathon in Japan in the fall I can run.
  • cgd67
    cgd67 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am training for the Rock n' Roll NOLA in March. 10 years since the last one!
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    June 24th, my first one. I'm shooting for under 4hrs, but I'll be happy if I can just finish it. I'vw got a long way to go as the furthest I can run atm is 8 miles. So only 18.2 more :sick:
  • tjalt
    tjalt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've done the Cleveland half and full and used Hal Higdon's plans for both. Best part about Cleveland is it's pretty fast, lots of aid stations, etc. I'm skipping it this year to run the Pittsburgh full but I may come and volunteer. Good luck!
  • BJRW
    BJRW Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm training for my 2nd half with the Galloway method. It might seem like the mid weeks aren't very much running but that is where you would do your speed work if you are working on a better time. The long day during the week should be done slowly to build endurance.

My target event is the Race to Robie Creek...
  • lilrhody
    lilrhody Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first half-marathon - the Goodlife in Toronto on May 6 - am following the Running Room program.

I'm up here in Canada, where we thankfully are having a really mild winter so outdoor running hasn't been too awful. I tried to train last year, but winter and injuries got the better of me.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I'm training for a half-marathon. It's not a full one, but I think the training is just as important. My sister and I are following Jeff Galloway's method. You can find his training instructions online, and also on the RunDisney website.

Good luck!! And Godspeed!

This is my sister :)

Along with the Disney Half, I am training for the April Fools Half Marathon on April 1st in Atlantic City, NJ! Following Jeff Galloway's method!
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    First time or experienced marathoners? I am not new to running but this will be my first marathon. I'm building back up to training after an injury. Would love to know some other people who are training for a marathon this year also... :-)

Best suggestion I received that works wonders.

Get your body used to the foot time. This also confirms everything feels great.

So estimate how long you think the marathon will take you, realistically.

Design a training session that will take that long, starting with super long warmup and cooldown (45 min), a middle break of walking too (30 min), and 2 jogging sessions at whatever pace you currently are at.
    You can add in another set of walk/jog if more time is needed and that would be too much jogging at once.

Don't worry about the distance, you just want to get your body used to being on the feet for this long.

This will show up socks that don't work, lace tightness, clothes rubbing wrong, hydration, what you can eat, ect.

As you increase your long runs or your pace, you can do this several times leading up, and change those middle parts.

This is a really good idea! Thanks!
  • cynfullcyn
    cynfullcyn Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm training for LA in March, my first and loving it!

I'm training for LA Marathon also and it's my FIRST!!! I feel I'm ready for it now
  • ricosuavee123
    Options
    I'm going to run the Marine Corps marathon at the end of the year. I was training for it last year but due to a "training accident" I couldn't run it and couldn't do almost any physical activity. I've ran a couple of half marathons and really enjoy the long runs. My longest run pre-injury was a couple of 16 milers. I used the www.marathonrookie.com plan (they have a 16 week for people who already can run a bit and a 26 week program). They also have plans for shorter races as well. Focus on staying hydrated and nutrition. Lot of good info there as well as at runners world.
  • jtcc91
    jtcc91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you are referring to runners, but.. I am training for the Boston Marathon Jimmy Fund Walk, which will be this September. I am not a runner and get the majority of my exercise from walking. It still seems like a pretty big deal to me --walking the route of the Boston Marathon!-- so I am working on getting in shape and building up my endurance on long walks. I'm pretty excited about it!