Herniated discs?

Options
I go against my chiropractors advice when it comes to the exercises I do such as kickboxing and certain weight lifting exercises. Of course I end up feeling the pain later. Do you have any issues with back problems? Can you provide exercises that help strengthen your back yet does not put strain? My chiropractor hasn't given me much advice as to which ones I should be doing. Any help?

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Why are you not following your Chiropractor's advice on the strengthening exercises? You would rather ask advice on a public forum?

If you are disregarding your Chiropractor's advice, why are you bothering going to him/her?
  • mjbrowne
    mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have mild dexascholiosis (sp?) of the lower spine; my hip socket is about 3/4 of inch higher on my right side (just turned 35 this month for age reference). I REALLY wanted to become a runner the past 2 years, but after 3-4 weeks of doing c25K or just jogging/walking..I would be at my chirpractors for adjustment and therapy due to pain. ANd that would derail / postpone my whole exercise and weight loss rouitne.

He is an AWESOME doc and tried to work with me over past year; advising me to start slow and do TONS of stretching and strength training. After a major injury 4 or 5 months ago, he finally told me that with the curvature in my spine, I was geting herniated discs very easily with impact type work outs like running. He told me that if I want to be working out when I was 50 and 60 at all..I need to stop running before I worked myself into permanent injury that requires surgery.

He wants me to swim for my main exercise. And do lots of weight training and stretching. He said I could ride bikes, as long as I wasn't leaning over (like a beach cruiser type bike). He DID say if I worked on my core and got it completely tight, it might provide enough support to protect my back if I wanted to run.

I haven't gotten to the point of a tight core...but walk and do general aerobics. I don't follow advice well either. ;) I HAVE been trying to stretch and work my core more...and plan on attempting to train for a 5k when it warms up a little.

I admit..the more kickboxing and boot camp type stuff I do..the more sore my back is..so I drop back down to walking and yoga until it feels better. I HATE feeling like a 60 yr old..I'm only 35 for goodness sake! :)

Side note-you might want to try a new chiro. Mine is great! He knows my fitness goals and has shown me exercises with weights and stretches to do specific to my problem areas to strenghten my back. He's more about prevention..he doesn't WANT to see me every month for an adjustment like some chiro's I've seen in the past. He wants me to be able to function without constant intervention. GOOD LUCK!
  • aliciapenny
    aliciapenny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have a herniated disk in my lower back and a ruptured disk in my neck. I have been going to the gym for 12 years anyway. I have an orthopedic doctor that says I absolutely should NOT have adjustments by a chiropractor. I believe and trust him. I have completed several physical therapy sessions for my back and they all revolve around strenthening your core (deep in the abs not just a normal ab workout) and stretching out the hamstrings. In my case for the herniated disk, the nerves being pinched causes my hamstrings to tighten...that is where the pain comes from for me. Once the hamstrings are tight it pulls everything down. I use a straight leg stretch while laying on my back and also an ankle across the opposite knee while pulling them towards my chest. this helps me tremedously. this is all stuff I did in physical thereapy. as for working out I still do. I am just careful not to pick up improperly. Of course one wrong move and not paying attention while lifting (ie lifting with my back not my legs) will put me back in the doctors office. if you are worried about this use machines instead of free weights. then you do not have to worry about pulling somethig wrong when picking up free weights.

I was very hesitant that physical therapy would help because i have been working out for years. but it has. and I am able to incorporate those stretches and exercises into my daily life to keep the pain to a minimal. Unless I pick up something wrong I feel minimal pain and it is not daily.
  • nilyhi
    nilyhi Posts: 1
    Options
    Agreed. I also have two herniated disks and have had a laminectomy previously. My ortho surgeon also told me NOT to see a chiropractor. Basically, he said that he could possibly "undo" everything that my surgery did.
  • Teresa527
    Teresa527 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had back surgery on a bulging disc at L5-S1 when I was 25 (I am 33 now). The disc was bulging to the point of no return and sitting on my sciatic nerve. I also had 3 other herniated discs and over the years they never got better. My last MRI was last year and showed I still had those three herniated plus the other side of the disc was herniated at L5-S1. (Basically my surgery was to drill a hole in my vertebra to relieve pressure and then they cut off the piece of disc that was bulging to one side.)

I had a hard time doing anything physical for years. Prior to my surgery I was very physical. I was a Marine and I ran 8 miles a few days a week. I had to quit running and doing any physical activity.

Once a month or so my back would go "out", I had severe muscle spasms to where I couldn't stand up straight and they would last for 2-3 days. My doctor explained it was my "warning system" that I was doing too much. I kept being told that the only thing that would improve my back was to strengthen my core and lose weight. Then I had 2 babies via c-section and then my gallbladder removed. This destroyed my core.

I started Turbo Fire on October 1, 2011. I refused to allow myself to give up. I started doing some easy yoga videos. My body was incredibly tight and I had a hard time with most of the moves. Then it started coming easier. I never gave up.
    To date I have lost 28 pounds and I am almost back to my pre-surgery weight.
    I don't have nearly as many back problems as I had before. My back hasn't went "out" since I started exercising. I do have pain every now and then. And, when I do I just rest and then keep going. I can tell at this point what is real pain to where I need to stop and what I can work through.

I think a lot of people with back problems use it as a reason to not push beyond. The fear of hurting more will keep you from doing things that your body needs and craves. The tightness in your limbs will make you hurt worse. Take it from me.
    Go online and look for back and core strengthening exercises. Hang in there!
  • Havend1
    Havend1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Why are you not following your Chiropractor's advice on the strengthening exercises? You would rather ask advice on a public forum?

If you are disregarding your Chiropractor's advice, why are you bothering going to him/her?

The herniation is mild so I can still do thos wrkouts. I do modify them.
  • fatgirlslimagain
    fatgirlslimagain Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started Turbo Fire on October 1, 2011. I refused to allow myself to give up. I started doing some easy yoga videos. My body was incredibly tight and I had a hard time with most of the moves. Then it started coming easier. I never gave up.
    To date I have lost 28 pounds and I am almost back to my pre-surgery weight.
    I don't have nearly as many back problems as I had before. My back hasn't went "out" since I started exercising. I do have pain every now and then. And, when I do I just rest and then keep going. I can tell at this point what is real pain to where I need to stop and what I can work through.

I think a lot of people with back problems use it as a reason to not push beyond. The fear of hurting more will keep you from doing things that your body needs and craves. The tightness in your limbs will make you hurt worse. Take it from me.
    Go online and look for back and core strengthening exercises. Hang in there!

This is so inspiring and I'm glad I found this post. I too have herniated discs and the pain has made it so hard but i just keep going. I find aqua therapy really helpful as the water supports me while i strengthen my muscles. Thanks for this post