2»

Replies

• gatecityradio
    Options
    Olive Oil or PAM.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    For frying, canola or rice bran. I'm currently using a bottle of Carotino, which is a blend of canola and red palm.

Olive oil or walnut oil or hemp oil for salads.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Sunflower or peanut oil has been all the rage lately in healthy frying.

Here's a good article addressing this...
    http://www.ehow.com/facts_7301345_oil-healthiest-deep-frying_.html
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I used to use Olive oil, but it is not meant for cooking over high heat. Once it starts to smoke, it's gone bad. I only use it for dressings and dips.

This.

The higher the smoking point, the less oil is absorbed in the food. Peanut oil is superior.
    ^^^^^^
    And THIS
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I didn't look where you are based but in the UK there is flora cuisine which looks a bit like liquid butter, it tastes incredible and is much better for you.
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    ghee, and bacon grease. :bigsmile:

(I'm serious.)

• shanighias
    shanighias Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil cooking spray. It has zero calories!

even spray has calories no kidding!
  • lovemydrmartens
    lovemydrmartens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    olive oil for most things and groundnut for stir fry...( I think that's peanut? but my label says groundnut..)
  • GrahamBarwick
    Options
    coconut oil everytime me for me, full of medium chain fatty acids, that help with metabolism and breaking down other fats apparently. It really did help me and other people i have told to use it :smile:
  • yesiwillbeloosingit
    Options
    I use canola for every day cooking. I doesn't add any odd taste to food, its not filled with sat fat - and doesnt burn unless you really put an effort to burn it hehe
  • yesiwillbeloosingit
    Options
    The PAM light cooking sprays have 1 calorie for each spray :)

I like to use to when I fry eggs - or make omlette and so on
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    Coconut oil. It's oil of the gods. It has a higher smoke point than olive oil and it's good for you. It also has many uses besides eating. Diaper rash cream, face scrub (mixed with sugar and a squeeze of liquid castille soap), deoderant (cno w/ baking soda and corn starch), lube, hair conditioner, lotion.

Also use bacon grease, other meat grease (duck grease anyone?), ghee, and butter.

I dont like can sprays, never have. Vegetable oils are horrible for you.
  • GrahamBarwick
    Options
    Coconut oil. It's oil of the gods. It has a higher smoke point than olive oil and it's good for you. It also has many uses besides eating. Diaper rash cream, face scrub (mixed with sugar and a squeeze of liquid castille soap), deoderant (cno w/ baking soda and corn starch), lube, hair conditioner, lotion.

well said :happy:
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil for everything ... even high temp searing of meat / chicken.

a tblsp is around 60calories however so for the last 2 weeks, we've switched to the Olive Oil "1Cal" spray. Yes - it's dryer than I'm used to so a good quality pan is essential to avoid food oversticking to it.

All oil / fats are calorie dense so it does contain calories. A single spray is 1 calorie though.

I've found 3-5 sprays happily cooks chicken breast or softens mushrooms / onion for an omelette .... and 5 calories is MUCH better than a previous 60 calories for a 1tbsp "splash" from the bottle :-)
  • Sophiepoo
    Sophiepoo Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Loveee Coconut oil!
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    Am I the only one who gets annoyed with cooking shows when they drizzel in olive oil and they have the burner set to medium high heat?
  • iraidatheseeker
    Options
    Thanks interesting - will do! :wink:
  • iraidatheseeker
    Options
    why don't you use any of the PAM spray cooking oils? i use the olive oil one and it has no cals/fat and tastes fine. I also use a non-stick pan so sometimes i dont even use oil. If you don't have a non-stick pan then use water. foods won't be as tasty but you can get the saute effect by using little bits of water along the way as you cook.

I def use PAM sprays but there are some spanish dishes that I would really need to use oil with. :smile:
  • iraidatheseeker
    Options
    I cook a lot of things in Kraft Zesty Free Italian Dressing.... use it as I would oil... gives a great taste to chicken and is amazing if you make canned salmon into salmon patties. Try it and let me know what you think!

Interesting - will do! Thanks! :wink:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Sunflower or peanut oil has been all the rage lately in healthy frying.

Here's a good article addressing this...
    http://www.ehow.com/facts_7301345_oil-healthiest-deep-frying_.html

I am a professional chef. This is good info. What I use depends on what the flavor profile is I'm shooting for. Oriental is sesame oil, Mediteranean is Oilve Oil, SE Asian or some Middle Eastern, Coconut or Palm Oil. Peanut is great for deep frying! hven't tried Sunflower Oil.
    On a different note, oils do have a certain calorie load but are essential to weight loss. If given a choice, I will moderately reduce my carbs and increase my oils. Key thing is do not buy processed oil. Ideally use cold, expeller pressed oils. Processing changes the chemical composition of the oil and never for the better.