Any exciting salad ideas?

Options

Replies

• PolkaDot88
    PolkaDot88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I discovered this the other day (well, I borrowed the idea off an MFP topic) and it is AMAZING - been eating it every day since until I ran out of cottage cheese yesterday!

Wash some spinach and tear it up into fairly small pieces. Mix it with an equal or slightly less amount of cottage cheese, add salt and pepper (lots of pepper, minimal salt), and ENJOY.
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    bump for more ideas...:drinker:
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I always try to keep salad simple..
    My new discovery is:

iceberg lettuce + chopped avocado + nuts + chopped emmenthal
    maybe you could add chicken, too! :)
  • HotAndSpicy10
    Options
    bump
  • wo1wendy
    wo1wendy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I try to have a salad every day. A very full salad with everything I could possibly like. If I am using an oil and vinegar dressing I will put in some flavored hummus and it turns the dressing into a creamy version. Today I bought some horseradish for my husband and thought I would try that. It really made it pop!!! right into my nasal cavities
  • luvsdeals
    luvsdeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad is baby spinach with strawberries, celery, grilled chicken and newman's own balsamic vinaigrette.

I also love grilled salmon over mixed greens with tomatoes, grilled corn, goat cheese, dried cranberries, dates, pinenuts and newman's own balsamic vinaigrette. That's a much more expensive salad but all the kids love it.
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My husband thinks raisens in a salad are the best thing in the world!...even with ranch dressing! I'm not a raisen person so I haven't tried it but I recommend it for raisen lovers. Me personally? the spicier a salad the better...bring on the hot sauce!
  • pinkdawn72
    pinkdawn72 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Banana peppers or chick peas are a nice change. Also just tried dried cranberries in my salad which I love.
  • athearenee
    Options
    I made pulled pork in the crockpot the other night...

I heated up 6 oz of it and put it on Romaine lettuce.....so yummy!!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Zesty Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes (skinnytaste.com)
    Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 7/8 cup • Old Points: 4 pt • Points+: 5 pt
    Calories: 210.4 • Fat: 9.2 g • Protein: 25.1 g • Carb: 7.8 g • Fiber: 3.6 g • Sugar: 0.6
    Sodium without salt: 260.8 mg

1 lb jumbo cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined, chopped*
    1 medium tomato, diced
    1 hass avocado, diced
    1 jalapeno, seeds removed, diced fine
    1/4 cup chopped red onion
    2 limes, juice of
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 tbsp chopped cilantro
    salt and fresh pepper to taste

In a small bowl combine red onion, lime juice, olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper. Let them marinate at least 5 minutes to mellow the flavor of the onion.
    In a large bowl combine chopped shrimp, avocado, tomato, jalapeño. Combine all the ingredients together, add cilantro and gently toss. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.

"Zesty lime juice and cilantro are the key ingredients to creating this light and refreshing salad, no heavy mayonnaise to weigh it down. Made with the freshest ingredients; jumbo shrimp, avocados, tomatoes, red onion, cilantro and chopped jalapeño tossed with some freshly squeezed lime juice and a touch of olive oil.

This will be a huge hit at your Cinco de Mayo fiesta or summer bash! Serve this as is for an appetizer, or over lettuce o tostadas for a lunch or light meal. You can easily adapt this to suit your taste by adding more or less cilantro, jalapeño etc. If you plan on making this ahead of time, you can combine all the ingredients except for the avocado and cilantro and keep this refrigerated, then add them right before serving. This easily doubles for a large crowd."
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Andaw
    Andaw Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I usually do my own dressing - 1 tablespoon of sweet chilli sauce, one tablespoon of Nam Pla (Thai fish sauce) and half a tablespoon of lime juice. It's quite a strong, tangy flavour so it might not be for everyone, but I love it - it works for me!!

Love the sound of your salad though, I just stick with lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber!! Must try living a little more!!
  • beverlylouise
    beverlylouise Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do a head of romaine, 2 cups of spinach, a can of tuna, and a hard egg (or 2), sometimes I add a tiny bit of mayonaise, but the egg and tuna really make the salad taste good
  • SheilaS95
    Options
    This is my favorite...
    Mixed lettuces, grilled chicken breast, 1-2 TBSP each of chopped fresh cilantro, corn, red onion, bell/anaheim pepper, and black beans. take 1 tbsp bbq sauce, add a little water to thin it and drizzle over the salad. if you have the calories to spare, you can toss a couple of crushed tortilla chips in as well. I also like to toss on a tablespoon or so of a cheddar jack cheese.
  • jens1285
    jens1285 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If I'm in the mood for salad, I go with spinach, strawberries, and walnuts. The strawberries act as the moisture dressing would serve but if you want some more flavor raspberry vinagerette works really well. Otherwise try adding salsa instead of dressing to salads with meat in them. It's something different in every bite.
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    The Marzetti Light Dijon dressing is amazing!
  • tightnup
    tightnup Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    All of these salad ideas are great- but perhaps just changing the topping isnt going to be dramatic enough to feel like a different salad.

try changing your base.. either NO base (so no lettuce and just chop up tomatos, cucs, olives, basil)
    or simply change your greens out. so many different leafy greens out there, butter lettuce, raddichio, arugula, spinach, swiss chard, endive..

i just feel like if you keep your base constant, it will always feel like the same salad in a different costume.
    try changing the essence of the salad and it will feel like a totally different meal!

or maybe change the temperature! grilled zuchs, mushrooms, green beans, .. that can be "salad" too!

dont limit yourself :)
  • cookie60five
    Options
    Hi, I've just recently joined MFP and am finding it really good it's helping me to keep on track with my healthy eating, I eat salad every day for lunch, little gem lettuce, cucumber, spring onions, red and green peppers, pineapple and cherry tomatoes, I add about 50g of good tasting hard cheese and add a little dressing usually a low cal honey & mustard seed or a balsamic glaze.

Could someone please tell me what BUMP means? Thank you
  • luvsdeals
    luvsdeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I forgot--I've been making mexican type salads and adding this guacamole salsa on everything. It's so good and just 13 calories per T.
    http://frostedbakeshop.blogspot.com/2010/05/guacamole-salsa.html
  • MissMizzy
    Options
    When I'm feeling lazy, I just mix some mango salsa in with baby spinach and call it DELICIOUS. Otherwise, my favorite is baby spinach, feta, dried cranberries, and a light balsamic. So good, so easy!