Saving calories for a treat

Options
Does anyone save calories up for a treat at the weekend and if so, is your weight loss as effective?

Replies

• merrynutlump
    Options
    I don't save it for the weekend, but if i know im going out for a meal on a certain night, or i fancy a snack when i get home then ill eat very low calorie during the day. My weightloss has been effective, ive lost about 1stone so far (before i joined MFP) good luck :)
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I might eat lighter during the day if I want a treat that same day, but no I personally don't lessen calories one day to use on a completely different day.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Yup, and yup.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    Does anyone save calories up for a treat at the weekend and if so, is your weight loss as effective?

Honestly you're going for a total weekly deficit (or even a monthly deficit) so I don't think it's too awful to create a slightly higher deficit during the week to eat something you really want on the weekends. I'm not actively really trying to lose pure pounds any more but I have done that in the past for special meals and occasions, and in the long run everything was fine. I also didn't weigh daily. :) If you weigh weekly, etc. you'll get a better picture of what works for you over the long haul.
  • Steffi330
    Steffi330 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have never saved from previous days becuase I prefer to take one day at a time!
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I count my calories daily, not weekly. If I want a treat in the evening, I save my calories during the day.

However, I *do* allow myself one treat day every week where I'm allowed to go over my calorie goal. Sometimes I use it, more often I don't.
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I save calories everyday so I can have my bowl of chips or something salty and ice cream/and/or chocolate at night while watching tv..... It keeps me feeling satisfied and I don`t feel like I am dieting all the time. I obviously eat the best I can every day with vegetable and proteins and of course WATER... but having something everyday that makes me happy has definitely contributed to my success... I have lost 51lbs so far and have 8lbs to...so I personally don`t think it has a major effect.
  • sasbw27
    sasbw27 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I also lower cals on meals before hand and just workout to try to balance it out that same day. I don't carry calories over for another day but I suppose that would work as well. I have a coworker who is on weight watchers and that approach seems to work for her.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I personally weigh once a week, so I see no issue with "banking" a few calories one day to use on another. Weight Watchers uses this system with their points, and many people "zig zag" calories with success.

That being said, only you can figure out if that works for you. Try it for a couple weeks and see what effect it has.

Good luck.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I will eat less during the day or workout for longer in order to have a treat but I don't save calories from one day to the next, new day, new calorie allowance.
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Snacky McSnackerston & I eat low cal meals (100-200) for breakfast, lunch, and dinner so I can snack on low cal treats through the day :)
  • rmesta
    rmesta Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I save some throughout the day so I can have a slice of pepper jack cheese :-)
  • Momma2fourunder5
    Momma2fourunder5 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't save it for the weekend, but if i know im going out for a meal on a certain night, or i fancy a snack when i get home then ill eat very low calorie during the day. My weightloss has been effective, ive lost about 1stone so far (before i joined MFP) good luck :)
    I'm sure I'm going to sound dumb, but I've been wondering this for a while - what is a stone??
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50lbs so far and I've always had a day a week where I eat a lot more than other days. A kind of 'day off' where I could go out to eat, have an indian takeaway, pizza etc. For me it actually helped me lose weight. If I stuck to my calories every day I'd stop losing after a couple of weeks. Having a high day seemed to kick start me again :)
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I'm going to sound dumb, but I've been wondering this for a while - what is a stone??

A stone is 14lbs. It's the usual weight measurement used in the UK
  • loubear1
    Options
    Thanks for the super speedy replies. I think I will give it a go and see what happens.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Saving can get easily out of control, it's better that you enjoy Saturday for example by eating maintenance cals (1800-2000 for most people) or even just above that and have a good hour of cardio workout to burn 500-700 cals. You’ll find you’ll end up netting about 1200 cals and you had a wonderfully calorie dense dinner and dessert.