Dairy free recipes

Options
laughingatchu630
laughingatchu630 Posts: 69 Member
I'm looking for more dairy free recipes. I feel like I keep eating the same things and I'm getting bored. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I just substitute almond milk and soy loaf for everything dairy...and you know what? the calories are WAY less than if you used 2% milk and cheese :drinker:
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I just substitute almond milk and soy loaf for everything dairy...and you know what? the calories are WAY less than if you used 2% milk and cheese :drinker:
    ^^This.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Almond and coconut milk work great. Coconut cream can be awesome too. Also, for cheese there is Daiya, which is pretty good for fake cheese.
  • Inacay
    Inacay Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for more dairy free recipes. I feel like I keep eating the same things and I'm getting bored. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Try RAW recipes! So yummy! http://www2.dothaneagle.com/blogs/food-junkies/2011/feb/04/challenges-raw-food-diet-ar-1425223/

Also, I love to cook and am a vegetarian. What kind of foods do you eat and I can send you recipes. Just message me!

For now, here's a Chocolate Cream Pie recipe without dairy:

Alton Brown’s Dairy-Free Chocolate Pie
    Chef Alton Brown lost 50 pounds and has kept the weight off for two years. What’s his secret? Desserts like this no-bake, low-calorie chocolate pie. Satisfy your sweet tooth with this recipe that substitutes tofu for dairy products.

Added to Recipes on Tue 12/20/2011
    Ingredients
    Makes 8 servings
    13 oz semisweet chocolate chips
    1/3 cup coffee liqueur
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 lb silken tofu
    1 tbsp honey
    1 (9-in) prepared chocolate wafer crust (store-bought is fine)

Directions
    Place enough water in the bottom of a 4-quart saucepan to come 1 inch up the sides. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.

Place the chocolate chips and liqueur in a medium metal mixing bowl, set over the simmering water, and stir with a rubber or silicone spatula until melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.

Combine the tofu, chocolate mixture, and honey in a blender or food processor and spin until smooth (about 1 minute).

Pour the filling into the crust and refrigerate for 2 hours, or until the filling sets firm.

Courtesy Alton Brown, 2011
    From “ Good Eats: The Early Years”
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    I make a good cheese sauce with coconut milk and Daiya cheese. I don't have an exact recipe...
    sautee some minced garlic in a pan with a little olive oil (sometimes I sautee a little onion as well)
    Add any chopped veggies if you want to make it healthier
    add 1 can full fat coconut milk (I have never tried skim but it would prob work)
    and simmer until the veggies are cooked
    turn the heat to low and add about 3/4 of the daiya cheese
    season with salt and italian seasonings
    add pepper
    stir until it melts

This will be enough for a 12 oz box of macaroni noodles. You can also use the same idea to make cheese dip but add cumin seeds in with the garlic.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Almond and coconut milk work great. Coconut cream can be awesome too. Also, for cheese there is Daiya, which is pretty good for fake cheese.
    YES! It is the first non-dairy cheese I've tried that doesn't taste like salty butt.
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    I make a good cheese sauce with coconut milk and Daiya cheese. I don't have an exact recipe...
    sautee some minced garlic in a pan with a little olive oil (sometimes I sautee a little onion as well)
    Add any chopped veggies if you want to make it healthier
    add 1 can full fat coconut milk (I have never tried skim but it would prob work)
    and simmer until the veggies are cooked
    turn the heat to low and add about 3/4 of the daiya cheese
    season with salt and italian seasonings
    add pepper
    stir until it melts

I forgot...I usually add tumeric to make it more yellow but watch out because it can stain everything it touches.

This will be enough for a 12 oz box of macaroni noodles. You can also use the same idea to make cheese dip but add cumin seeds in with the garlic.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

it bothers me to see how many people use soy like its going out of style.

Unless it is fermented, soy is basically TOXIC....i wish this was more widely known.
  • gillybumbler
    Options

it bothers me to see how many people use soy like its going out of style.

Unless it is fermented, soy is basically TOXIC....i wish this was more widely known.

I agree and stick to fermented soy
  • kaybelmore
    Options
    Almond milk all the way! Hemp and Flax milk are great too (if you have a nut allergy)

My favorite replacements for yogurt in recipes: Silk live plain, and So Delicious Greek Style coconut milk in plain. You can make great sauces with these or even desserts.

I also use miracle whip light to for creamy for dipping sauces and aiolis.

Also, working with new spices can be great. I recently discovered curry powder and fresh ginger and that really helped change things up. Before that was the smokey chipotle phase :P

Silk soy nog is seasonal but it works great for any dish you need to set (like pumpkin pie or pudding pie, YUM!) You can also use silken tofu but it does alter flavor quite a bit.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    There are tons of websites that offer dairy free recipes as well as how to make substitutions... just gotta find the one(s) that work for you
  • Inacay
    Inacay Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I am a vegetarian, but I eat fish. So Pescatarian. Here is a delish recipe.

Salmon Veggie Tower

Ingredients:

COOKED SALMON:
    salmon filet (steamed or pan fried with lemon pepper to taste)
    KEEP the drippings!

COOKED POTATO:
    potato (cut into medallions and boiled, then set aside)

SEASONINGS:
    lemon pepper, oyster sauce 1/4 cup, oil

VEGETABLES:
    asparagus (5 spears chopped into 1 in pieces)
    mushrooms (2 sliced)
    chopped leek (1/4 cup)
    2 cups of a leafy green (Choose from Spinach, Pea Leaf, Kale, Bochoy) If you can get your hands on Pea Leaf...so Yummy!

DIRECTIONS:

Take your leeks, mushrooms, and asparagus. Lightly pan fry in a pan. (Do not over cook just lightly fry) Add your greens and salmon drippings. Then add oyster sauce.

BUILD TOWER:

Place the potato medallions on the plate, then add the vegetable mixture on top with the sauce. Then to with Salmon. Tower of Yumminess.

Probably has about 400 to 500 calories with little to no fat!
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I love the one below. I also make a lot of risottos, because they come out very creamy but without any dairy. And you can basicly use whatever you have left in the fridge.

Sweet and Sour Eggplant, Tomatoes and Chickpeas

This Lebanese dish is all about summer. Pomegranate molasses makes it both sweet and sour; you can find it in Middle Eastern markets. Serve the dish as a starter, a side or a main dish with grains.
    1 large eggplant (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds), halved lengthwise then cut in 1/2-inch slices
    Salt to taste
    3 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, as needed
    2 large garlic cloves, minced
    1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, grated or peeled, seeded and chopped
    1 teaspoon sugar
    Freshly ground pepper
    2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
    1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    2 to 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, or a combination of mint and parsley
    1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil, and oil it with olive oil. Lay the eggplant slices on top. Salt lightly and brush with olive oil. Place in the oven for 20 minutes until the eggplant is lightly browned and soft to the touch (the surface will be dry). Remove from the heat, and fold over the foil to make a packet around the eggplant slices. Allow them to soften and steam inside the foil for 15 minutes while you proceed with Step 2.
    2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy lidded casserole or skillet. Add the garlic. Cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes, salt to taste, sugar and pepper. Bring to a simmer, and simmer uncovered over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often, until the tomatoes have cooked down and smell very fragrant.
    3. Add the eggplant, molasses and chickpeas. Cover and simmer for another 20 to 30 minutes, stirring from time to time. The mixture should be thick and the eggplant should be very tender, melting into the mixture. Taste and adjust seasoning. Sprinkle on the parsley and/or mint, and serve. Alternately, allow to cool and serve warm or at room temperature.
    Yield: Serves four to six.
    Advance preparation: This dish keeps for three or four days in the refrigerator and tastes even better the day after you make it. Reheat gently in a skillet, or serve at room temperature.
    Nutritional information per serving (four servings): 272 calories; 1 gram saturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 8 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 milligrams cholesterol; 37 grams carbohydrates; 10 grams dietary fiber; 273 milligrams sodium (does not include salt to taste); 8 grams protein
    Nutritional information per serving (six servings): 181 calories; 1 gram saturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 5 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 milligrams cholesterol; 25 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams dietary fiber; 182 milligrams sodium (does not include salt to taste); 5 grams protein