confused!

Options
2»

Replies

• peanut1012
    peanut1012 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. You may gain before you lose, don't stop what you're doing. Do you drink water that helps too.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you are all right, maybe I am not eating enough. However, when you have cut so much from your diet, and are determind to eat healthily, when it comes to choosing between another apple, of banana, or salad etc, I'd rather choose not to eat, just because I know I will get no satisfaction from the food, just as i won't if i dont eat... so id rather not consume extra calories that i dont appreciate.. if that makes sense?

this is a bad choice that will lead to a loss of lean muscle, not just the fat you are looking at losing.

Try eating nuts, seeds, nut butters. Add olive oil to soups, sauces and salads, add avocado to salads and sandwiches. Drink some calories, have a glass of milk or a glass of juice
    Avoid diet and lite foods and eat the full fat, full calories version (usually much healthier and more natural)
    eat/drink higher MF% milk product. i.e. eat 3% Yogurt instead of fat free.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. You may gain before you lose, don't stop what you're doing. Do you drink water that helps too.

No muscle will be gained on a diet that low in calories, muscle needs energy to build, so if you eat less then you burn, there is nothing left to create muscle.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you are all right, maybe I am not eating enough. However, when you have cut so much from your diet, and are determind to eat healthily, when it comes to choosing between another apple, of banana, or salad etc, I'd rather choose not to eat, just because I know I will get no satisfaction from the food, just as i won't if i dont eat... so id rather not consume extra calories that i dont appreciate.. if that makes sense?

I know it sounds counterintuitive but not eating enough foods can cause loss in muscle mass, not fat. You need to eat. Cutting out food isn't the answer. There's nothing inherently evil about bread or pasta or cheese, etc. Just control the portions. Your body will thank you.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Have you been cutting the calories, or just the types of foods you eat?
    This!
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Hi Emma,

I agree that you need more food. Looks like you need more protein too. I'd also recommend tracking your sodium (go into Settings and you can add that to what you track) as high sodium consumption can hinder weight loss.

I'd also recommend getting a heart rate monitor or BodyBugg to accurately track your calorie burns during exercise. We tend to underestimate portions and overestime our exercise intensity :)

And please get yourself a tape measure and start tracking your body measurements! The scale doesn't always reflect our true progress.

Good luck and welcome to MFP!
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options

They aren't *extra* calories. They are calories your body desperately needs to function properly.
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i'm 188lbs and my goal is to get down to 140, so about 3 stone. Preferably more! And im 5"8 :)

Thing is, I've been going to the gym a lot, and ive cut out bread, pasta, rice, crisps, chocolate, cheese etc and am only really eating fruit, vegetables, yoghurt, and crackers. Yet not only have i lost NO weight since doing this, but ive PUT ON 2lbs!!

Anyone have any idea why??

While you are eating "healthy" food, there is nothing healthy about your diet. I think you need to do some serious research on proper eating and nutrition especially if you are a vegitarian - you can't live off crackers, fruit, yogurt and lettuce. Where is your protein, healthy fat and grains? I would guestimate you need to be netting a minimum of 1500 calories a day - meaning if you burn 400 cals a the gym you need to eat 1900 calories - and not 1900 cals of apples. You need to add nuts, grains, beans, eggs, tofu to your diet and make sure you are getting complete proteins.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    i'm 188lbs and my goal is to get down to 140, so about 3 stone. Preferably more! And im 5"8 :)

Thing is, I've been going to the gym a lot, and ive cut out bread, pasta, rice, crisps, chocolate, cheese etc and am only really eating fruit, vegetables, yoghurt, and crackers. Yet not only have i lost NO weight since doing this, but ive PUT ON 2lbs!!

Does not look like there are any significant protein sources in your described diet.
  • GoreWhore72
    GoreWhore72 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when changing to a new diet, adding a tonne of fresh fruits and veggies, can hinder your digestive system, and make you plateau.
    Try to eat all your fruit in the morning before noon, and as much as you want as long as it's fresh.
    Also, at lunch is when you consume all your fresh veggies with protein or starches.
    As will be at dinner.
    No fruit after Noon.
    and see how that goes.
  • KerryB1977
    KerryB1977 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The numbers MFP gives you are the calories you should eat to lose weight WITHOUT exercise. If you exercise (and it looks like you do!) those calories can be eaten in addition to your base calories. You should still continue to lose!
    [/quote]

Totally agree here and you should never eat less than 1100 calories because your body will go into starvation mode which prevents you from losing weight. Hope you the best of luck :happy:
  • Inacay
    Inacay Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I'm a vegetarian. I work out and eat super health. However, I have a low metabolism. My problems have been skipping breakfast (slows the metabolism) and eating too few calories (slows the metabolism). So to lose weight, I have to eat breakfast and meet my caloric daily intake. Maybe ask a professional from a fitness instructor or nutritionist about how your diet is affecting you. A proper assessment will clear your confusion.
  • Foskeylady
    Foskeylady Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I definitely think you need to eat more substantial foods. While fruit is good, too much can be an excessive amount of sugar. I think you need to up the protein (lean meats like chicken, fish), green vegies, like spinach, broccoli, kale etc.., allow for some whole grains, some carbs are good but also in moderation and should be the smallest portion, try sweet potatoes instead of white. Eat smaller portions for each meal and eat more often. I think your start is a typical error most do, so don't stress over it, just bring in better food choices and you def need to eat more calories. Your body goes into starvation mode and holds onto fat for fear of when it will get fed again, so by eating less you are actually reversing what you want to do.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Food is fuel, so you gotta eat to lose. Your body will fight you otherwise and hold onto every single calorie possible for energy later. Below are two threads that show eating more will help you lose more. Also, look into programs like insanity or p90x. They are extreme home workouts, and all require woman to eat NO less than 1800-2000 calories. You will only lose muscle as Eric said by eating very low calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395948-caloric-intake-results?hl=caloric+intake+results&page=1#posts-5425208

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395881-people-who-lost-weight-eating-more
  • Foskeylady
    Foskeylady Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I saw someone mention you were a vegetarian, sorry if I didn't pick up on that, but you still can have garden burgers, Beans and whatever proteins vegatarians eat, but the important thing is to eat some protein.
  • EmmaMay93
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

That's a really unhealthy attitude towards food and could be the start of an ED.

Eating is not bad. Eating grains, dairy and so on are not bad. It's all part of a healthy, well balanced diet.

If you're exercising for an hour a day you need to eat and keep your body fueled. You wouldn't drive a car around on an empty tank only filling up $2 at a time would you? Your body is the same. It needs a certain amount of fuel to run and continue normal functions.