is Over 30 high risk???

Options
So...im throwing this out there! if anyone gets offended im sorry but this woman at my work really pissed me off!

We were all sitting at the table having lunch chit chat and the subject with having kids came up. She mentioned in a very obnoxious tone of voice that all women in their 30's are now considered HIGH RISK for pregnancy. FYI - I am 30! I am planning on having another kid in a couple of years and she knows this.

Then she proceeds to tell me that I should have them before its too late! (Well im sorry I cant have one now because babies are expensive and we are waiting a couple of years.) So apprently my baby might problems like spinobifia "Her Words" This woman is driving me nuts!!!

Can anyone tell me if this really is true or not? I know so many career women like me who have waited till after 30. I already had one at 20 but now that I'm remarried we want another child.

Thanks

Replies

• lynnsf
    lynnsf Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Finally then, after potential parents have weighed the age factor in terms of conceiving and carrying a pregnancy to term, they may be comforted to know that a child born to older parents does have advantages. In some studies that have controlled for social factors and parity, such children do better at school than those of very young parents.12,13 In the demanding task of raising children, older parents may be less resilient than younger ones, but their experience and knowledge are almost bound to be greater, their economic situation better, and child rearing more affordable. Biologic disadvantage is to a degree balanced by social advantage.

This is from an study by the National Institute of Health.
    The risks of having children in later life

There is some biological difficulties with older mothers - but they normally occur around 40 not 30.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1071137/
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lynn!
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My mom was 30 when she had me and I'm awesome. So don't worry about it.
  • princesskel30
    Options
    I am a midwife and she does speak some truth unfortunatly. We do class women over 35 as a high risk group as they are at risk of more problems BUT we class lots of groups as high risk...BMI over 30, smokers, drug takers, diabetics, teenage mothers etc. so it does not mean you will have problems. The amount of women over 30 having babies these days is increasing and in the majority of cases everything is fine! Don't let her comments upset you, it is much more important you are in a position financially and mentally to have a baby and they are being bought into a wanted loving enviroment than your age. Good luck with your future pregnancy!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    She probably is sexually frustrated. LOL
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Oh good god, now only women in their 20's are allowed to have babies???? :huh: I didn't know 30's was old!!! Hmph. *hobbles off to my walking chair to do some knitting* LOLOL
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Generally over age 35 has higher complications, but it doesn't necessarily mean that on your 35 birthday, everything is going to hit the fan. Of course the younger you are the lower the risks are. Ideally, the body is best to bare babies in the teens, that doesn't one should.

I wouldn't too much about it. I know when I hit 29, people started coming out of the wood work about how I better get on to babies. I had mine at 31 and 34. They healthy little kids.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    After age 30 there is an increased risk of your child having Down's Syndrome. There may be other risks that go up as well with age, but increased risk does not mean high risk. It just means it's higher than it was.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I thought over 35 was classified as higher risk...I had my 2 at 32 and 34 and they're both fine - naughty but fine.
    Thinking about it my mum was 30 when she had me (which back in the 70s was geriatric, she was by far the oldest mother at the school gate!), and I'm disgustingly healthy.
  • angelakayerickson
    Options
    Personally I think that lady is crazy....age in my book has no bearing....I know a girl who is 25 baby born with cleft pallet , I know a mom who is 24 had three miscarriages AFTER having a baby, and now she just gave birth to a baby boy, I know a me, who had 2 kids in my twentys, remarried and he is 10 years older, 42 and i was 32 and had NO problems....except...I was FAT, so that gave me issues with joint, back and pelvis pain.......My husbands mom thought she was going thru menopause AT 50, when she gave birth to him.....My friend just had a HEALTHY baby boy at age 45.....they can tell ya what they want, but not trying to get all churchy on ya, but God has a plan, and if babies after 30 is what you want....all you have is faith that the baby will be healthy AND even if it isnt, SHE wouldnt be right.....lots of things cause birth defects......NOT JUST AGE! So have at it, have your babies, make your money, and tell her to quit reading books, internet, or scaring a young women!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    So...im throwing this out there! if anyone gets offended im sorry but this woman at my work really pissed me off!

We were all sitting at the table having lunch chit chat and the subject with having kids came up. She mentioned in a very obnoxious tone of voice that all women in their 30's are now considered HIGH RISK for pregnancy. FYI - I am 30!

what? no way! judging by your picture I would have thought early 20's!
    and I have met other women in their late 30's early 40's that have had kids no problems.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Generally I've read the risks are higher the older a woman gets.. but 30? I don't think there will be any problems. My mother had me at age 38 and I turned out fine.
  • HoopoeBird
    HoopoeBird Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Logic tells me that the healthier you are, the better and easier pregnancy you're going to have. Age is relative.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    It's always nice when co-workers give out medical advice for free. Otherwise we might need to see doctors and pay for it. That would just suck.
  • mlang1955
    mlang1955 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had my third child when I was 34. Don't worry about what this woman said. Just keep yourself active and eating healthy and when the time is right, you body will do fine.
  • tinalatina
    Options
    I am a midwife and she does speak some truth unfortunatly. We do class women over 35 as a high risk group as they are at risk of more problems BUT we class lots of groups as high risk...BMI over 30, smokers, drug takers, diabetics, teenage mothers etc. so it does not mean you will have problems. The amount of women over 30 having babies these days is increasing and in the majority of cases everything is fine! Don't let her comments upset you, it is much more important you are in a position financially and mentally to have a baby and they are being bought into a wanted loving enviroment than your age. Good luck with your future pregnancy!

Thank you for that reassuring info.....glad im working on being healthy too!
  • tinalatina
    Options
    Oh good god, now only women in their 20's are allowed to have babies???? :huh: I didn't know 30's was old!!! Hmph. *hobbles off to my walking chair to do some knitting* LOLOL

Did I forget to tell you she was 16 when she had her first of 5!?
  • tinalatina
    Options

We were all sitting at the table having lunch chit chat and the subject with having kids came up. She mentioned in a very obnoxious tone of voice that all women in their 30's are now considered HIGH RISK for pregnancy. FYI - I am 30!

what? no way! judging by your picture I would have thought early 20's!
    and I have met other women in their late 30's early 40's that have had kids no problems.

haha yes 30! thank you :D
  • netsirk12
    netsirk12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are not sure we want kids. Right now our dogs are kids but we agree that when I am 30 we will decide what we want. 30 is not too old. I have experenced horrible comments from my family and the older generation about my choices. They say that I am "selfish". If we want to make sure we are happy and can provide for a child then I guess we are!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are not sure we want kids. Right now our dogs are kids but we agree that when I am 30 we will decide what we want. 30 is not too old. I have experenced horrible comments from my family and the older generation about my choices. They say that I am "selfish". If we want to make sure we are happy and can provide for a child then I guess we are!

Lol, selfish. As if people are somehow obligated to breed within a specific time frame, or reproduce at all for that matter. People are strange.