Quit Smoking, packed on 15 lbs.

Options
So, I decided to quit smoking cold turkey on December 23, 2011. It was very tough, but I knew it was the best thing I could do for my health. I managed to pack on 15 pounds since then and it has been hard getting back on track with MFP. Every week led to the next week and so on. I finally made my mind up to get back on track. The smoking urges are all gone and was worth the 15 pounds I gained. I am even more motivated now to get back on track with MFP.

Replies

• Lauralovesmfp
    Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking! That is a huge step. I smoked from the time I was 14 until I was 28. I have been smoke free for almost 12 years and would never EVER go back! You should pat yourself on the back for getting back on track with MFP so quickly and WTG!
  • harleygirl6363
    harleygirl6363 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 2 and a half weeks ago I started when I was 12 and am now 34. I also started a diet almost the same time. I know what you are feeling it is a hard hard thing to do but we can do this :) Good luck YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • David1106
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah, I started when I was 15. 33 now. 18 years at a pack day.....I hate even thinking of how stupid I was and how much money I wasted killing myself.
  • JennyAnn35
    Options
    Way to go!!!! You may have gained a few pounds, but you also gained more than a few years onto your life!!
  • harleygirl6363
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah, I started when I was 15. 33 now. 18 years at a pack day.....I hate even thinking of how stupid I was and how much money I wasted killing myself.

Same here the main reason I quit is because I moved to CT and they are $10 a pack YIKES smoked for 4 months of being here about 5 packs a week DOUBLE YIKES
    Do the math thats 800 I wasted in 4 months imagine the rest I blew DAMN IT Thats a nice vaca to spain where I have been wanting to go LOL
  • David1106
    Options
    Just a warning Haleygirl, I had a very hard time with cravings the 4th week. I would be fine then all of a sudden I was going through withdrawls again. There were many times when I was about to cave in and light back up, but I didn't.

I read online last week saying the times that people who quit smoking could relapse is:
    3 days
    1 week
    2 weeks
    1 month
    3-6 months
    1 year

I am making these my milestone dates that I already have on the calendar.

After 1 year, they say you are completely rid of the addiction.
  • Lauralovesmfp
    Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I would agree with those stats!
  • harleygirl6363
    Options
    Just a warning Haleygirl, I had a very hard time with cravings the 4th week. I would be fine then all of a sudden I was going through withdrawls again. There were many times when I was about to cave in and light back up, but I didn't.

I read online last week saying the times that people who quit smoking could relapse is:
    3 days
    1 week
    2 weeks
    1 month
    3-6 months
    1 year

I am making these my milestone dates that I already have on the calendar.

After 1 year, they say you are completely rid of the addiction.

thanks these are interesting stats so far they are true with me lol. Well keep up the great work on non smoking and the diet im right there with you if you need support
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I quit almost 1 year ago. I never miss it, i think i was really, really ready. I quit soda on Monday and now i feel like i am damn near perfect!! LOL
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    Will be smoke free for 2 yrs on April 19th! I am very proud of it! I started when I was 14 and quit when I was 28. I quit to loose weight! I know, sounds ridiculous, but I knew I would never be able to workout if I kept smoking! Very very happy I quit! Good luck to you and congratulations on your achievement!
  • Renee2GetFit
    Renee2GetFit Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! I quit last year for about 5 months and gained like 30 lbs. I have to admit, i felt awesome overall but hated that I had gained the weight. In October, one of the girls in my group at work quit on me and was acting crazy and I let my nerves get the best of me and picked the cig's back up. I know, I know... I'm trying. My 11 & 12 year old kids are always telling me I need to quit and they give me guilt trips all the time. I really just need to stop again so congrats to you for doing it!
  • kp1439
    kp1439 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    i Quit smoking too and also got the diet going .. started on the 3rd of this year and i feel great.. have faith man you will do it ... good luck
  • tracy1727
    tracy1727 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting! This March will be 3 years now for me that I quit cold turkey. Started at 15 and quit at 39. After I quit I packed on pounds on top of the pounds I already needed to lose... but I dont regret it! I am so glad to have that nasty monkey off my back that controlled me! For me there are still random times that I miss it and I might crave one after a bad day...but then I think back on when my kids said they were "proud of me"...Then the little voice says "Never go back!!!!"
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Like many things, it's hard, but not impossible.

I smoked for 8yrs, had lost 50lbs prior to quitting, and then I quit, and didn't smoke for 4yrs. Felt great. Never had the urge. was actually repulsed by it. Also packed back on the 50lbs plus 20more. Things got hard in life, overwhelmingly hard, and one weekend out drinking with friends, I caved and had a cigarette, which led to another day having one. and well now i'm back to smoking full time again. Learn from me.....don't even have ONE. it's not worth it.

Trying to quit again. I know I just have to do it. This time, combining healthy eating, working out. Will help from putting on a crap load of weight, and will help with stress. A different approach this time!

Hearing you and others talk about it, is rather inspiring and motivating for me to get my act together and once and for all kick the habit. Thank You!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!