Motivate me or I'm giving up

Options

Replies

• kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like I need to take a break from the "diet"
    Not that I go crazy but that I eat closer to maintenance calories.

I still track but it seems to re-set everything and when I go back to "diet" calories my body immediately responds and starts loosing again.

Maybe give that a try....

If not I also have a daily reminder set on my phone that says

"NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS SKINNY FEELS" just a daily reminder of why I go to the gym!
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    What in the heck every happened to personal responsibility? Hun, you have to motivate yourself.

We can offer support, but we don't even know who you are or what your gone through. We don't know what your goals are or how close you are to them.
  • Pifflesmom
    Pifflesmom Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Discouragement

"If you've invested enough effort and energy to get discouraged, you're well on your way to success. Discouragement is a certain weigh station on the road to any worthwhile achievement.
    If you know and care enough to be discouraged, you've made considerable progress. Learn what the discouragement has to teach you and then continue moving forward. It may seem as though you'll never make it, but in reality you're already there. Discouragement tempers and hardens you; it does not stop you.
    Reflect on your discouragement and you'll discover that it is a result of your commitment. You've already invested your time, your effort, your life. Soon, you'll reap the full reward of that investment. Let discouragement spur you on.
    Motivation is born of desire. The stronger the desire for something, the stronger the motivation.
    Endeaver to keep the promises we make to ourselves... We deserve to be treated with the same love and respect that we would give to others....."
    (By CW on bootcamp buddies)

This is a fabulous quote - thank you very much for sharing :-)
  • gwensmamma06
    Options

You can do it. YOU have to convince YOU to do it. Think of the end goal, bite the bullet, knuckle down, battle through the tough times and as Nike say..."Just do it". You're only a failure when you give up, in the mean time, you;re a soldier battling through tough times....

(I'm the military girl who's giving you the tough love approach)

I like this kind of pep talk, it motivated me while I read it just now!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just checked your diary and there are very few entries. If you have lost 45 lb that's an amazing amount of weight to have lost. You did it already, so don't stop - this should be a lifestyle change, not a short term fix.

If you always do what you always did you will always be the same.

Motivation is very difficult, but only you can do it. I would suggest:
    1. Every time you look at food, make a healthy choice - portion size / cooked with minimal fat / fresh / unprocessed is best. Choose low calorie / low sugar / low fat if such options exist, or have somethig completely different - eg instead of coke drink water!!
    2. Do some exercise - even just short walk around your block, marching on the spot, doing weights, makes you feel better, helps lift mood.
    3. Go find some old clothes and put them on - feel the difference 45 lb makes.
    4. Take a good long hard critical look at yourself, are you happy with what you see or would you like to continue to lose more weight?
    5. Look at what you have achieved - where you were, how you got to where you are now - what helped the most? What helped the least? Is there anything you could / would change?
    6. Visit a doctor, get your bloods tested - you may find that your cholesterol, sugars etc are at more healthy levels due to your hard work.
    7. This is not just about losing weight - it is about educating yourself to live better and longer.

I'm a fellow traveller on this struggle, don't give up. :flowerforyou:
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options

"NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS SKINNY FEELS" just a daily reminder of why I go to the gym!
    I LOVE THIS!!!!!
  • kahlee2000
    Options
    I don't have much to offer in the way of advice. All I can offer is my own track record -- 100 in 6 months. You can do -- you just tell your body that your brain is in charge -- and then tell your brain that you don't care what it has to say -- you are going to do this anyway. :wink:
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I looked at your weight ticker and it says you have 25 pounds to go! I know closer to the goal it becomes harder and takes longer to lose the weight.

But really your motivation has to come from within. I started with 145 to lose and now have 97 still to go. My friends inspire me and cheer me along the way but the motivation of what to eat and how to make life changes, comes from my mindset and willpower to succeed. The right mindset is the biggest battle of all. We can all give inspiring stories but you are the one in control of your body and the decisions you make regarding your lifestyle.

I believe you really want to continue or you would have just quit without posting this in the forum. So dig deep and we'll all help celebrate your success your reach your magic number. This is a lifetime commitment so dont wimp out now or a few years from now you will look back and regret that you were so close to winning.

Your last food log was January 17th. I'm sorry but somehow I think you've already given up. Food logging is one of the most important things I do every day and I document every morsel that I eat. It's a great tool for keeping me honest with myself. Get it together and do it for you and no one else.
  • alexzepp
    alexzepp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hang in there ! The man on top of the mountain didnt fall there - he fell many times on the way , he just kept getting back up.... Ive lost 160 - but its been an 8 year journey.. Ive been stuck 12 lbs from the finish line for a year... keep working at it - every ounce adds up !
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking a week ago and was going to give up on weight loss, weight loss is very slow, but all you on MFP are so great
    and motivate me to keep going, slow go good food.
    Thanks
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    By the look of your profile and food diary and the fact that this is your first post, I would safely say you just joined MFP today? Yes?

If you want motivation and some friends to help you along this is a great place for that. It's also a great place for information, yes some of it is bad, but some of it is very good. Of course you have to do your own due diligence regarding any info you come across.

If you truly want friends to help you on your journey and/or your stuck in a rut or plateau, add me!! I'd love to help any way I can. Of course I'm a paralegal so I can't give you a whole lot of info, but I can root you on!!

I stand corrected....I see 4 entries Jan 15, 16, 17 for food and one day of exercise....
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    THIS!!!

noquitting.jpg
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    As a broke college student I can tell you where to find all the free food (even the healthy stuff), the party with the free beer (light is served there too) ~.

But seriously, if you've lost about 40 pounds then congratulations! that's out of sight~!!! Don't ever give up on making your life a healthier one. If you're tired of thinking about food and weighing in so much maybe take a break from MFP and logging all your food (but still eat in moderation, don't go overboard), and just relax for a while and work to maintain. Maybe before you leave/take a break go see what calories you need in order to maintain your weight and then just take it easy =3
  • cherrytulips
    Options
    Ive lost 45 pounds and can't do anymore
    I'm at a similar place. I'm not where I want to be yet, but I'm very tired.
  • robinpickles
    robinpickles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You have to want it... simply said..

You CAN do it.. and if you want it, DO IT!!!!!!!!

YOUR WORTH IT!!!!

WE ALL ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jlira01
    jlira01 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In my experience..one's motivation has to stem from within. I find this site and friends encouraging, helpful, funny, and great sources of info..but I'll meet my goals and keep on my journey alone if needed. it's my health, body, and future that I'm trying to secure and change...and It's on "me" to make it happen. If your having a bad day...then give up for today..but dig deep and follow the hilarious advice on this thread and march on.

Just looking at some of the profile pics on this thread inspire me ; ) Folks are looking good ....
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a break from the diet, It's better take a break, say a week or so and then come back ready to do some more, than to just outright give up. How close are you to your perfect weight. Is the weight loss you have chosen appropriate you. Some try to lose more than they should.

Decide what you want to do, then do it.
  • myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    THIS!!!

noquitting.jpg

Read this graphic. Spend some time reading through the success stories, where people often share their initial feelings of vulnerability and discouragement. Forty-five pounds is a huge achievement - it really is. Look through the groups and find those with similar interests or goals. Don't give up, whatever you do.
    Good luck.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, only you can motivate yourself.
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You never fail until you quit trying.
This discussion has been closed.