Trapped wind due to protein?

Options
Apparently, trapped wind can be caused by eating too much protein, although lately I've not gone that far over what is a low amount given by MFP. How accurate is this?

The reason I'm asking is that since I got up this morning, I've had a dull ache around my abdomen, which has tended to become more noticeable if I move (I did go for a walk this morning, but that hasn't made it worse, at least as far as I can tell). As far as I know, I don't need the toilet, plus I've had plenty of fibre lately. My stomach also seems to be slightly swollen, which is why I think it's trapped wind. There also seems to be two areas of dull aching - one near the front and one near my right kidney.

I'm drinking some peppermint tea now to try and help get rid of it. Anyone have any other ideas on what I can do? I've been drinking plenty of water all day, so that's one thing I think should help. There's also the possibility that I might just have overdone exercise this week or something.

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Nope, your body learned a long time ago how to burp if there is too much "trapped air"
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    You could put both legs behind your head. I remember Oprah said one time that that helps......good luck buddy!
  • melissamason941
    Options
    protein is filtered by your liver & too much is not good for you. i don't understand high protein,low carb diets. we need a balance of everything. do some research & figure out a good balance for you. we don't need as much protein as we think & most of us eat too much any way. good luck
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Haha, "trapped wind," what a delightful way of saying "gassy." But I feel for ya, buddy. Yesterday I ate wayyy too many brussel sprouts and felt like I weighed a million pounds. I just went and took two GasX and it really helped. The protein thing though, I can't help you with.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    More likely the fibre is making you gassy. It will do that, especially if you don't drink enough water. You will need more fluid if you eat more fibre.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Large amounts of protein, particularly protein powders will cause gas.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Apparently, trapped wind can be caused by eating too much protein, although lately I've not gone that far over what is a low amount given by MFP. How accurate is this?

The reason I'm asking is that since I got up this morning, I've had a dull ache around my abdomen, which has tended to become more noticeable if I move (I did go for a walk this morning, but that hasn't made it worse, at least as far as I can tell). As far as I know, I don't need the toilet, plus I've had plenty of fibre lately. My stomach also seems to be slightly swollen, which is why I think it's trapped wind. There also seems to be two areas of dull aching - one near the front and one near my right kidney.

I'm drinking some peppermint tea now to try and help get rid of it. Anyone have any other ideas on what I can do? I've been drinking plenty of water all day, so that's one thing I think should help. There's also the possibility that I might just have overdone exercise this week or something.

I'm assuming you're referring to protein powder and yet, it can tear your gut up. I suggest you use protein isolate. My guess is you're using concentrate or some form other than isolate. Although, Jay Robb is isolate and it tore my stomach up. I use EnergyFirst and have no problems at all. As a general rule, a pure, good brand isolate will not cause the trapped gas.

Peppermint should help. If you can get to a health food store, get some ginger and/or fennel. That will help a whole lot. Or get some Phayzame at the drug store. It's OTC. There are generics that are basically the same thing and cheaper.

I see you said "eating" protein. I'm not sure if that causes gas or not. Sounds like you may have some simple, yet miserable, gastritis. But that's just a guess. Trapped gas is miserable. Hope you feel better soon.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    acc
    protein is filtered by your liver & too much is not good for you. i don't understand high protein,low carb diets. we need a balance of everything. do some research & figure out a good balance for you. we don't need as much protein as we think & most of us eat too much any way. good luck

Everything is filtered by your body's organs.

How much is too much?

In case you really wanted to know more about that type of diet, I can tell you that according to my doctor, my low carb-high protein diet's purpose is to keep my sugar low incorder for my body to have to burn more fat for energy instead of just using the sugars and carbsthat are usually readily available in my system and toe higher protein level is to help ensure against muscle wasting away during excelerated weight loss.

If you really didn't wanna know, but just disapprove of that sort of diet, sorry for tmi
    :tongue:

OP: yep, protein shakes make me gassy. My suggestion is more fluids and more movement. Helps me, anyway.
  • melissamason941
    Options
    yes, but dear we are talking about PROTEIN, not other substances...
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    you don't understand? Some people need it for medical reasons, for starters.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    try some probiotics??? might settle your stomach?
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    More likely the fibre is making you gassy. It will do that, especially if you don't drink enough water. You will need more fluid if you eat more fibre.

What he said. Fiber slows up everything going through the intestines as it doesn't digest well. It's why most people with IBD's are on low-fiber diets.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Take gas x. Generic is Simethicone. Works like a charm. Too many raw veggies will do it to me, and it can be quite uncomfortable!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    peppermint oil in capsule form is great.
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Exercise and more water will help the wind escape.
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    i don't understand high protein,low carb diets.

Ok, then let me help you out..

There is no scientific evidence that demonstrates any harm with a high protein diet. Assuming enough dietary fats and carbs for normal function and no preexisting medical condition you can eat as much protein as you like.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Actually, from the studies I've read, people need a fair degree of protein and less carbs --- just the opposite to what our wonderful government says on its pyramid. Certainly we can easily overdo on anything. Also, some people need more protein than others. As a general rule, more protein and less carbs causes our metabolism to get faster and we lose more weight faster. But certainly we should overdo it and it's easy to overdo protein if we take powders.

I generally only eat meat once a day and have one or two protein shakes. That seems to work for me. But it probably wouldn't work for lots of other folks. Everyone is different.

And JacksMom12 is right about the Simethicone. It works fast and good in most cases. Also Alka Seltzer seems to cut gas pretty quickly.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Another thing to think about. any chance you are lactose intolerant?
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of "trapped wind." But this quote is completely wrong. Most people eat far too little protein, especially if they are trying to lose weight.

IF you have a preexisting kidney or liver problem, eating a high-protein may stress them. But if you're healthy, there's nothing to worry about. Processing protein is their *job*. Like if someone has a weak heart, then strenuous cardio could cause a heart attack. But for a healthy person, strenuous cardio is good for you. If you're healthy to start with, then no worries about upping your protein.

Protein has a LOT of uses in your body. It's not just burned for energy. Your body also needs it to build and repair muscle, to grow your hair & fingernails, all sorts of different functions. And the chemical reaction that burns fatty acids also requires amino acids (protein) in order to work. Like the way a fire requires both fuel and oxygen. So if you want your body to be burning your stored fat, you need to make sure & eat plenty of protein to keep that reaction going.

MFP's recommended protein level is the minimum you need in order to stay healthy if you aren't trying to change your weight or body composition.
    If you are trying to lose weight, you should eat your total body weight in protein per day. I started out at over 300 lb and ate 300g per day, which was tough, but it worked wonderfully. I've been eating at least 250g protein per day for over 10 months now and it hasn't hurt me a bit. In fact, I've cured my high blood pressure, high cholesterol, pre-diabetes and depression.

To go back to the original topic: since I started eating high-protein, I have occasionally had digestive upsets, but it was usually from eating a single food that disagreed with me. Foods with sugar alcohols in them upset my system, so does eating broccoli too many days in a row, stuff like that. But protein has never caused me a problem. Of course, everyone's body is different, but I'd say the odds of protein being your culprit are pretty slim.
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I feel that way when I eat eggs. Not sure what it is in the eggs but I have terrible built up gas that hurts so I avoid them.

Sometimes too I feel gassy & crampy when I've eaten too much. My body isn't used to eating large portions anymore.

I hope you feel better soon :smile: