Does anyone use a crockpot for making steel cut oats?

Options
13»

Replies

• granni87
    granni87 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    We use the crockpot to make steel cut oats regularly you can add whatever you like but the basic receipe is

1 cup steel cut oats,
    4 cups of water
    I put a bit of salt in

Mix in a pyrex bowl or oven wear container
    Set on a trivet or something to keep the bottom of the container off the liner of the crock pot
    fill the crock pot with water approx 3/4 of the way up the container the oats are in ( making a water bath)
    set on low cook 10 - 12 hrs

Great for breakfast I usually throw a handful of raisins in ours because we love them and in the morning a teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of peanut butter per bowl.. with some milk Enjoy
  • DanceYogaRun
    DanceYogaRun Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Love this idea! I can't wait to wake up to a hot breakfast!
  • BlueHydrangea50
    BlueHydrangea50 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Someone on OPRA talked about that when she was really in to steel cut oats. Maybe it is on her recipe board.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I tried a recipe once and my family did not like it. I saw this recipe and they are cooked in a hot water bath in the cp and so I'm wondering if they would turn out better? This sounds good:
    http://www.simplebites.net/how-to-cook-apple-pie-steel-cut-oats-in-a-slow-cooker/?doing_wp_cron=1327624598

I made this yesterday, and it was so easy, and so delicious. I'll never babysit the steel cut oats again. Thanks so much for this super recipe!! I made only 1 small change, I had no applesauce, so I put two grated apples instead of 1, and I left out the nutmeg just cause I don't like it. The recipe calculator says this is 209 per serving, and it was a totally satisfying breakfast. Warmed up so easily too.

Hip hip hooray!!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    And it is finished in only 6 hrs! Swooning over this recipe :)