What do you add to your smoothies?

Options
Hi all...what are some ideas to add to my breakfast smoothie to boost it...I add frozen banana pieces, soy milk and ice, maybe a little honey or frozen berries. I've heard of things like flaxseeds etc. to add protien and make you feel full...what do you suggest?

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Flax! I also add spinach. You could also try oatmeal or protein powder :)
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm PB2 and Cocoa powder to unsweetened vanilla almond milk with some ice. sometimes I add a banana if I need the added calories. This is my favorite and I have it daily 127 cal (w/o nana) 237 cal with nana.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are pretty much pure protein. I buy them in a carton, b/c I wouldn't know what to do with the yolks if I separated whole eggs.

As for fruit, I freeze cut up fruit when it's in season, then add it to my smoothies in the dead of winter. There's nothing better than peaches or strawberries in January.

And to make a banana smoothie sinfully delish, I add a teaspoon of hershey's dark chocolate baking powder. A spoonful only has (about ) 5 calories.

Well, I know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow.
  • speedycakes
    speedycakes Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, soy yogurt, fruits, veggies, ice, silken tofu, protein powder.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Apple or applesauce cinnamon extracts...
  • LisaRN9
    LisaRN9 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I add a tablespoon of goya cocout cream. It ain't healthfood folks but I loves it!! I open a can and freeze it and scoop it out a spoonful at a time. A can lasts me a very long time even though I usually have a mango smoothie every day. I make it thick like ice cream.
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds, rice protein powder, sometimes coconut oil. Usually as a base I have spinach mango and berries.
  • the_other_kitkat
    Options
    Greek yogurt, flax seed, protein powder, and spinach. I add all that to my standard fruit smoothie (frozen banana, pineapple, mango, a little honey and a mandarin orange). 300 calories, 27 grams of protein, 19% calcium RDA, 91% vitamin C RDA, 12% iron RDA, and 5 grams of fiber. :)
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    chia seeds, spinach, almond milk, frozen berries of the day (strawberries or blueberries usually), couple ounces of avocado, protein powder. YUM.
  • donnse
    donnse Posts: 5
    Options
    I use half a banana, 1/2 cup frozen berries (no sugar added), 1/2 cup fat free milk, 6 oz. plain greek yogurt, 3 TB benefiber and half a scoop of protein powder. YUM!! And filling and pretty nutritious.
  • riiah86
    riiah86 Posts: 35
    Options
    Just this evening I had a smoothie with dannon lighat and fit non fat raspberry yogurt, fresh blueberrys, spinach, haf a bannana and ice.
  • nazey25
    Options
    3/4c Almond Milk (original), 1/2tbsp each natural peanut butter & natural almond butter (no sugar/salt added), half frozen banana & 1 scoop of protein powder as well as 3 ice cubes. It's my breakfast every morning & I love it!
  • jvorrei
    jvorrei Posts: 13
    Options
    I add in greek yogurt (protein!) and spinach. I am the pickest eater *ever*, and you really can't taste the spinach. It's so worth trying.
  • CoachDMarz
    Options
    everything everyone else said is good its best to switch it up and see what you like .. I have all types of frozen fruit in my freezer I grab depending on what I'm feeling like that day, sometimes I throw in Kale, wheat germ to get some texture and omega 3s , sometimes I'll sprinkle cinnamon or put a little hershey's pure cocoa in there for flavor and antioxidants
  • Momkat65
    Momkat65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    coconut milk, almond milk, agave, 1/2 banana, peanut butter + frozen fruit- varies by day
  • kalepowered
    kalepowered Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I always have a banana and agave in my smoothies, and am trying to do flax seeds and/or hemp protein powder some days. If it's a green smoothie (which most days it is, I am an addict) it gets kale or spinach, then whatever fruits I have on hand... oranges, apples, sometimes strawberries - except berries turn it from a beautiful green to a nasty puke shade, unfortunately. The other smoothies I switch between have strawberry/cocoa, peanut butter/cocoa, or cucumber/honeydew (this one is a bit odd-tasting to me still, but oh man it's refreshing) in addition to the basics. I'll put almond milk or water in to give it enough to blend together smoothly. I have at least one smoothie every day, and I'm starting to think I should invest in a better blender, haha.
  • ShaneWinston58
    Options
    I add a whole block of silken tofu...best way to get a lot of protein. Berrys, bananas, honey, soy milk....:ohwell:
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Kahlua is really good with banana smoothies ..... probably not so good for losing weight though
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    In my morning shake I normally have 2 scoops of protein, frozen berries, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and maybe a banana.
  • kittyneutron
    kittyneutron Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Try using soy milk, vanilla flavored. It's delicious. I was really skeptical of it at first but it's great for smoothies. Hemp protein powder is great, although I think (I may be remembering incorrectly) that you cannot mix hemp protein with citrus. Wheat germ is good too. My go to smoothie is the following:

Soy milk
    Mixed frozen berries
    1 fresh banana
    1 yoghurt (usually coconut)
    vanilla extract (powder)
    a bit of lemon zest

You can also switch out the soy milk with fresh squeezed orange juice.