Which kind of milk?

Options
My mum and dad (who I still live with, unfortunately) don't have a clue about milk, so they sometimes by skim, sometimes semi-skimmed, and sometimes lite. Are there other kinds that are less fatty? If there aren't, can you please tell me which out of the three is the less fattening? Because I drink milk heaps and heaps and I want to know if it's one of the reasons I'm struggling with my weight. Thanks!!!

Replies

• firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I think 1% is the best. You get all the nutritional value with little fat. If you do skimmed, you don't get all the nutritional value. If you do whole fat, well, it's whole fat.
  • jadelayel
    Options
    I drink skim fat free milk. It's 80 calories for 1 cup compared to 150 calories for whole milk or 130 calories for 2% milk.
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I started drinking almond milk or coconut milk. Regular cows milk is loaded with hormones and has about 12 grams of sugar per cup. This was really hard for me since I LOVE MILK and also use to drinks gallons.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I love unsweetened almond milk. For some reason the taste appeals to me much more than that of normal milk, and it's also lower in sugar and higher in vitamins- half the calories as well :D
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is the besttttttt <3
  • emilioleija
    Options
    Same here. Fat free skim milk. I also only have one cup a day during breakfast.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I think 1% is the best. You get all the nutritional value with little fat. If you do skimmed, you don't get all the nutritional value. If you do whole fat, well, it's whole fat.

this has always been my rational...1% is right in the middle.
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    There are lots of options besides cow's milk including soy, rice or almond milk. Unsweetened vanilla almond milk is my favorite and for 40 cals per cup, you can't beat it!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I drink 1% Chocolate and White Milk daily.........
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I drink 1% as well. I read somewhere once that's it's the best for weightloss. Don't know if that's true, but that's what we drink.
  • CoachDMarz
    Options
    I started drinking almond milk or coconut milk. Regular cows milk is loaded with hormones and has about 12 grams of sugar per cup. This was really hard for me since I LOVE MILK and also use to drinks gallons.

Go organic .. its a little more expensive, but it lasts longer and there aren't any hormones or steroids injected into the cows that really do have an effect on our bodies.

Also as to what kind of milk, I drink skim. Less calories, no saturated fat, less sugar and more protein. That would be my choice, especially if weight loss is your goal.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I love unsweetened almond milk. For some reason the taste appeals to me much more than that of normal milk, and it's also lower in sugar and higher in vitamins- half the calories as well :D

Ditto. I mean, I drink it because I can't have cow's milk. But Almond milk is yum!
  • CoachDMarz
    Options

What nutritional value do you not get from skim milk? Besides more protein and less calories & sugars there isn't any difference in the amount calcium or vitamins in either. Not sure I understand your reasoning.
  • Stinkybug
    Stinkybug Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I only drink coconut milk. I have tried all the others and coconut milk is the only one that I like and fits into my dietary needs.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Silk almond unsweetened vanilla milk 35 cal

Love this milk, sweeten it myself with stevia or splenda
    :flowerforyou:
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I do skim most of the time. I've tried almond milk, and while I can tolerate it, I don't enjoy it. Unfortunately, a cup of skim has about 80 calories so it can still be a diet downer. I drink it sparingly, a bit in my coffee, a little with my cereal and occassionally, if I have extra calories, I will enjoy a glass after dinner or mixed with hot cocoa.
  • shuttersound_
    Options
    Thank you!! I will make sure that I buy my own milk now, because I highly doubt my mum would want to start buying this sort of milk, since she's a sort of traditionalist, it's cows milk or nothing for her. Thank you for all the feedback though, much appreciated :)
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I love Almond Milk. I have it for pretty much everything now. Best switch I ever made.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    unsweetened almond milk
    unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • jennywren1971
    jennywren1971 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I drink long life UHF skim milk. It is lower calorie, low fat, good protein , good calcium option for me. You are not losing any nutritional value drinking skim milk. Also the it treatment doesn't tak Rahway from nutritional value either.

If you haven't drunk skim milk before it may take a bit of getting used to at first. But now I find it hard to drink full cream milk - its just so eeerrk.