Polar FT4--Reviews Anyone?

Options

Replies

• morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I'm researching HRMs as well but I only see the FT4 in the watch form. Is there a choice between chest strap or wrist (watch)? Is one more accurate than others?

Thanks!

The watch is paired with a chest strap. The watch is a computer device that reads the signal sent out by the transmitter, which is attached to the chest strap that has contact points to pick up your heart rate. You want a chest strap as it is more accurate. The FT4 fits this criteria.
  • pinkstarr
    Options
    I'm researching HRMs as well but I only see the FT4 in the watch form. Is there a choice between chest strap or wrist (watch)? Is one more accurate than others?

Thanks!

The watch is paired with a chest strap. The watch is a computer device that reads the signal sent out by the transmitter, which is attached to the chest strap that has contact points to pick up your heart rate. You want a chest strap as it is more accurate. The FT4 fits this criteria.

Thank you!!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    How accurate is it about calorie counting?
    I have a Timex and I hate it! It always overestimates soooo much that it's unrealistic.
    For example, my treadmill said I burned 325 cals in 45 min.
    My Timex HRM, said I burned 677 cals! Yeah right! I wish!
    I tried wearing it for an hour doing nothing (just sitting on the couch watching TV) and it said I burned 200 cals.
    Like if I burn 4800 cals per day!

As anyone tried to wear their Polar FT4 for an hour watching TV just to see the results?
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Can any of you folks let me know if the strap on the FT4 is adjustable enough to fit really big chests?

I'm a pretty big dude, at 6'5", 240#, and the strap on mine fits fine, with plenty of adjustment left.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar F4 ! Best thing since sliced bread ! Ha !
  • Bysshe
    Bysshe Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the Polar FT4 the other day, I haven't recieved it yet. But I am excited. And it's purple/pink. :D
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    It's easy.

It's peasy.

It's lemon squeazy.

You can't go wrong :)
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I :heart: my FT4!!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    How accurate is it about calorie counting?
    I have a Timex and I hate it! It always overestimates soooo much that it's unrealistic.
    For example, my treadmill said I burned 325 cals in 45 min.
    My Timex HRM, said I burned 677 cals! Yeah right! I wish!
    I tried wearing it for an hour doing nothing (just sitting on the couch watching TV) and it said I burned 200 cals.
    Like if I burn 4800 cals per day!

As anyone tried to wear their Polar FT4 for an hour watching TV just to see the results?

No HRM will be accurate outside a zone of about 90-150. The formula's break down badly outside that range.
    As you confirmed. The Polar will do that too though.

The Polar, and some others, can be more accurate on the calorie count because they ask for more stats, making the calc's more accurate.

Gender, age, weight, MHR, VO2 max are needed to be as accurate as you will get. Which for women is still possible 13% off sadly.

If you don't enter known measured estimated MHR or VO2max, those are calculated for you based on age. For women, that means up at 33% off now.

Oh, those % off is for Polar HRM in a study, others may be similar or worse.

And the Polar watch function to measure VO2max is no where near accurate. And the MHR calc for women has a very wide bell curve for accuracy in general.

But it seems to be the best out there.
  • loserforlife
    Options
    bump
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    HELP PLEASE! I have been looking into getting this one too. But my skin is extremely sensitive to nickel and even more so when I sweat. I cant seem to get the specifications for the metal pieces of this monitor online. While they are probably stainless steel, I have had watches that were stainless steel backs but the lower quality buckle part made it impossible to wear. Any input??
  • heybales
    Options
    HELP PLEASE! I have been looking into getting this one too. But my skin is extremely sensitive to nickel and even more so when I sweat. I cant seem to get the specifications for the metal pieces of this monitor online. While they are probably stainless steel, I have had watches that were stainless steel backs but the lower quality buckle part made it impossible to wear. Any input??

For this new cloth strap type, there is no metal touching the skin. Even the little piece of metal on the side for hooking the ends together, they included a fabric piece between your skin and that. Very thoughtful design.

Most I've used though, are totally plastic, no metal at all. Because, after all, there will be sweat all over it - very bad idea with metal.
  • kattydid65
    kattydid65 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 is awesome. Even though I got a lttle discouraged using it. I have to face the truth. I was using the machines to calculate my calories burned but when I use the FT4 it's telling me alot lower. :sad: So I thought I was really pushing myself. Obviously I wasn't pushing hard enough. I wanted to burn 500 calories a day. Oops but Ft4 is saying I am burning 300 calories. But overall I really like it. I have to adjust the strap a little, the buckle part rubs my skin a little and is irritating but I will work thru it. Silly me but I also ordered the Fitbit. I want to try it out as well.

Best of Luck to you!
  • sblueyez
    sblueyez Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7. I like it. It shows calories burned and stores the data. If I had a disposable income then I would buy a sensor that is compatible with Bluetooth so I could upload data instantly to a program on my phone. They make one by polar now. To the person wondering about the back, mine is a thick plastic. The buckle part is some kind of metal. Some times it irritates me to have the watch on while on the treadmill so I will take it off and hook it to the strap itself an it works that way too but looks a little funny. The only downside to this hrm is that the belt has to be extra dripping wet to work properly and it is just so cold when I put it on because of it. One bonus is that you can change the batteries yourself. Some of them have to be sent in, older models I think. I believe the calorie counting is accurate as I've tested my pulse the old fashioned way simultaneously. It uses an equation based off of your hr, age, height, weight, gender etc. As you lose weight you need to change it in the watch, which is simple to use. It knows when it is your birthday (shows you candles and all) so you don't have to update age. When the battery ran out all my old data was still there so that was nice. Sorry this is so long. I just really love my hrm. It helped me lose 20 lbs already.
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options

For this new cloth strap type, there is no metal touching the skin. Even the little piece of metal on the side for hooking the ends together, they included a fabric piece between your skin and that. Very thoughtful design.

Most I've used though, are totally plastic, no metal at all. Because, after all, there will be sweat all over it - very bad idea with metal.

Thanks, this is very helpful! The new strap one-- is it a new version of the FT4 or something different entirely? Thanks!
  • sblueyez
    Options
    To the one asking about the strap size:

Mine says it fits size medium through xxl. Half of it is stretchy. I find it is true to size as I currently wear a medium and it won't get much smaller than it is. I looked up the specs before I bought it and it did tell me how many inches it was on the polar website.
  • heybales
    Options
    Thanks, this is very helpful! The new strap one-- is it a new version of the FT4 or something different entirely? Thanks!

Sorry I didn't think of the back of the watch, as other poster mentioned, I always take it off and strap to a bar on treadmill, or spin bike. Just easier. But it actually is plastic.

The straps used to be like this, hard plastic with no metal.
    http://www.amazon.com/T31-Coded-Hrm-Chest-Strap/dp/B005ERW9YY/ref=pd_sim_sg_3/180-6957208-4868952

They are now this, and there are 2 cloth areas that have sensors under them that you can get wet and it stays wet better until you sweat more. I don't need it drenching as other poster.
    http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Wearlink-Strap/dp/B000OL06A4/ref=pd_sim_sg_1/180-6957208-4868952

This last picture actually lets you zoom in on the hook and cloth cover I'm talking about. If you are not careful, you could push that cloth the wrong way, and no covering. That may be the reason for several comments about it pinching.
  • Legally_Natural
    Legally_Natural Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4!!!! It is the bomb.com! I also like the fact that I can tell if I am losing weight by the chest strap.
  • sblueyez
    Options

Sorry I didn't think of the back of the watch, as other poster mentioned, I always take it off and strap to a bar on treadmill, or spin bike. Just easier. But it actually is plastic.

The straps used to be like this, hard plastic with no metal.
    http://www.amazon.com/T31-Coded-Hrm-Chest-Strap/dp/B005ERW9YY/ref=pd_sim_sg_3/180-6957208-4868952

They are now this, and there are 2 cloth areas that have sensors under them that you can get wet and it stays wet better until you sweat more. I don't need it drenching as other poster.
    http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Wearlink-Strap/dp/B000OL06A4/ref=pd_sim_sg_1/180-6957208-4868952

This last picture actually lets you zoom in on the hook and cloth cover I'm talking about. If you are not careful, you could push that cloth the wrong way, and no covering. That may be the reason for several comments about it pinching.

Right, I forgot about that flap. Mine looks like this: http://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/polar-wearlink-strap-med.jpg?w=350

But, for this person I'm worried about the tiny metal buckle on the wrist part. It seems like it is kinda heavy duty metal to me. I looked at mine and it doesn't say stainless steel at all.

And the m to xxl strap extends all the way to 60".
  • ElisaMarie82
    Options
    I was going to buy the FT4 model because the reviews are so great, but I ended up finding them on bodytronics.com for super cheap, so I decided to spend a few extra bucks and bump up to the Polar FT60! Best investment EVER!!! I have to admit at first I got a lttle discouraged using it though, because the machines at the gym would tell me I burned massive amounts of calories, then I looked down at my watch to see I burned waaaay less! On the plus side, it motivates me to push myself even harder than before!