I hate fish....help!!

Options
Ok, so I HATE fish. Back when I still ate at Subway I would occasionally have a tuna sub, but that is it. I am beginning to eat clean, and I would really like to incorporate fish into my diet. It is SOOOO healthy for you, and it always looks/sounds good, but I don't like the real fishy flavor and I don't like the "mushy" texture. (I always cook my chicken breast so it is almost dry). So I am looking for some suggestions on types of fish and ways to cook it. Thanks!!

Replies

• neclar
    neclar Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Tilapia , whiting and salmon fillets are firm textured fish. i usually thaw 'them. then spray them with "spray butter" ( parkey in the pump) and put season all on them and bake in the oven. becuz they are a firmer fish you can cook them til they dryer , like your chicken. hope this helps
  • melcpia
    melcpia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I love fish! We have fish at least once a week. I usually grill it, no oil other than a sqirt on the plate to stop it sticking. Like you I don't like mush but I've found flake, blue genadier and gem fish to be really nice grilled.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Flounder is great, halibut is great. (I'm actually not so much a fan of tillapia...). Steam them and you can get rid of the mushy texture without making the fish taste too strong.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Fresh fish isn't suppose to have a strong fishy odor or be mushy.

If you don't like it, why eat it? There are plenty of other healthy foods you can choose from.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I dont like fish either. So I dont eat it. Noone says you have to!
  • shlottelac
    shlottelac Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I always loved fish but I can understand you do not like it!
    Try this trick... use something like cod (sorry I'm not sure about the fish names in english) and before cooking it put some fresh lemon juice on it, some salt and some pepper with a very small part of olive oil (the best quality), then prepare a very light tomato sauce (some onions and some persil if you like it), with nearly no olive oil. After one hour you cook the fish(do not use the juice) in the sauce (10 minutes should be enough) and you have a delicious meal!

Fish is wonderful on barbecue with just some lemon on it... search the net for nice recipes and try to use some herbs and spices to make it tasty! Have you ever tried fish in a "papillote"? This is funny to eat and very healthy!
    Have fun with fish and sorry for my funny english!)
    Sarah
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Salmon steaks or fillets are beautiful. Dry pan-fried (no oil, just a hot pan) with a sprinkle of ground fennel and maybe a squeeze of lemon juice = delicious.

In general, fish cooks pretty quickly, and goes dry / flaky when it's well cooked.
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    If you dont like it, dont eat it! Why not take the omega 3, 6 and 9 fish oil capsules if you want the same benefits?
  • BethieBoops
    Options
    I'm not a huge fish person either, but I have found that the fresher the fish the tastier they are. I can eat almost any fish if it is fresh with a little garlic and lemon. It's okay if it has been frozen for a week or two, but if it is in a box, I won't touch it with a ten foot pole :)
  • pinkydemon
    pinkydemon Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    not a big fish fan either, but I go with Salmon or Salmontrout, they are not mushy and most of the time don't taste fishy
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is ever sensible to force yourself into eating something you hate. I don't eat fish and manage to be perfectly healthy.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Bump! I have no idea what to do with fish either!!
  • bridgeo74
    bridgeo74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe it lefse girl!!! You are from the home of the Friday Fish Fry!!! LOL!!
    The problem with that fish, is that it usually is made quick, fried, and is a little mushy.
    Try Schwan's, or Walmart, for some of their Seafood Creations...they have parmesan crusted tilapia, or bourbon salmon...adding some seasoning or marinades might help you get over the "fishy" taste at first.... We LOVE to grill the seasoned salmon from Sam's Club.
    Hope you find some you like!!!
  • adlwilmot
    adlwilmot Posts: 117
    Options
    Fresh fish isn't suppose to have a strong fishy odor or be mushy.

If you don't like it, why eat it? There are plenty of other healthy foods you can choose from.

What Crystal said. It definitely should NOT smell or feel like that.

You'll never convince you like it so just move on.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I loathe fish...even the smell turns me off... I hate tuna (or as Stewie and I call it...Cat food with mayonnaise...haha).

Like you I am really trying to eat clean too...and I continually try fish in hope that my tastebuds have changed and that I will eventually like it.

I can't wait to see what some people suggest...although, I might just have to settle for eating lean chicken and turkey for life...haha
  • Chubbasmommy
    Options
    tilapia and halibut ....thay are the best. i do love most fish and seafood. but these are the best texture wise. baked with salt free garlic pepper or any other seasoning u like. also u can add hot sauce ..covers up some of the flavor and is delicious =)
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Swai isn't so bad, not nearly as fishy tasting as tuna.
  • kittyneutron
    kittyneutron Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I hate fish too. I will not eat it. There is vegan based Omega 3 supplements you can buy. But you are doing better than me- I won't go near seafood or any kind of fish whatsoever. Nope nope nope....

I just stick with chicken, and am happy with that. Looking forward to next paycheck where I will invest in some vitamins and Omega 3 supplements.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Orange Roughy is the filet mignon of fish (problem is it can be a bit pricey, but worth a try)
    it's firm and dosn't have the traditional "fishy" smell/taste. I just broil it with a little light butter
    and Old Bay Seasoning- heaven.
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I hate it, too! I keep trying it with no sucess. I've the best luck with Tilapia but still only eat about 1/2 a filet. I also hate seafood. So, I eat it once in a while so my kids will be introduced to it and they do eat it. We're talking once every few months!