Gained...trying to keep focused.

Options
I know it is "that time of the month" but I gained back what I lost last week and I thought I did fine this week. I went over my calories yesterday but all week even going out with friends I was on target.

I'm struggling with working out so I know that is it, along with it just being female, but just kinda down right now that I work this hard to keep on track and end up gaining so much weight.

I never forget anything and always put it in - even creamer! I just am a little down and hope to get some inspiration to keep pushing along...

Replies

• Lady_Chilli
    Lady_Chilli Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If it is your TOM then I would literally write this week off and weigh yourself next week. I too am 'on' and had to reduce my exercise to basic walking and am giving myself a break this week. As long as I keep my diet the same I know I will be back on form tomorrow and ready for next weeks weigh in.
    Just keep your chin up and keep going!
  • Quarrysider
    Quarrysider Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Tom imminent here too - not weighing in again until it's all over!
  • camayallover
    camayallover Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much....I"m already feeling better knowing that I'm not the only one who has weight gain like this...
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    when i feel down i do something active . it makes me feel better afterwards even though i had to force myself to do it . ive had my days during the week where i gained four lbs but lost it all by the next week.. it was usually just a water retention issue .
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Don't be disheartened.

I gained 4 lb this week and it's not even my TOM. I've been poorly and not been allowed to exercise (doc's orders). I've been on antibiotics and steroids for the infection and have been forced to up my calories to gain my strength back.

I was SO upset when I hit the scales yesterday, but I'll get over it and I'll just work harder once I'm well :smile:
  • crystal479
    crystal479 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    dont feel down there are plenty of people here who have lost weight so it does work you just got to keep possitive
  • Zardpack
    Zardpack Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers two years ago, where you have to weigh in weekly. I decided when I started on this, that I would not put myself through TOM weigh ins. I will continue to try to eat right and exercise as I can. Then when it is all over with, I will return to weighing in. It is too disheartening to see the gain... even if you can explain it. That's just my plan...
  • freedomlady
    freedomlady Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    As long as I KNOW that I did well with my food intake I IGNORE the scale. Tell the scale that it is a Liar. I only chart my low weight when I am writ ing it down because I know that I can go up as much as 6 pounds in just water weight alone. So if I have a day where I ate something salty or had a hard workout on weights the muscles are retaining water and I just ignore the scale. I KNOW that it will come down eventually if I just keep sticking to my food plan.
    Keep going, Keep going, you are doing great and you can not let a little ole scale be the judge of you .Its just a tool we use in measuring progress and right now it is not doing a great job at measuring, so use what you know. You know you ate well. Thats all that matters.
  • Mandypt
    Mandypt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I know it is "that time of the month" but I gained back what I lost last week and I thought I did fine this week. I went over my calories yesterday but all week even going out with friends I was on target.

I'm struggling with working out so I know that is it, along with it just being female, but just kinda down right now that I work this hard to keep on track and end up gaining so much weight.

I never forget anything and always put it in - even creamer! I just am a little down and hope to get some inspiration to keep pushing along...

it is for me too but now that its calming down I lost 2lbs... all in the water weight my friend, keep ya chin up!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Especially at the beginning the weight seems to fluctuate a lot until your body gets used to a new way of life. So be patient with it and yourself. It does get better, I was pretty frustrated the first month but then it settled out and now I am either not losing or losing, the gaining part seems to be past. Also, as I am sure others will say, TOM, salt, not enough water, and irregularity can all cause you to gain "temporary" weight.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged, the longest period of my life has just finished. From Christmas Eve! Finished this morning. If I can lose a tiny bit of weight in that time, you can keep focused for one week. You know you can! :flowerforyou:
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories
    You should eat back your exercise calories.
    Simply stated MFP has already figured out your total calories you need to eat per day to lose 1lb etc. a week.
    That's WITHOUT exercise. You'll notice that when you actually add exercise in, the calorie limit goes up.
    Why? Because it's telling you to eat your exercise calories.
    Large deficits aren't really good to do because while you will lose weight, what kind of weight will it be?
    In many cases you'll lose lean muscle tissue which LOWERS your metabolic rate even more.
    Then you have to eat even less to compensate for less of a calorie burn to continue to lose the same amount
    of weight each week.

Be efficient.
    Exercise hard and eat back the calories. The hard exercise will RAISE your metabolic rate and burn more fat at rest.
  • susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It could be the fact that it's your TOM or maybe it's your salt this week? When I eat out, I go over on salt even if I stay at my calorie goal and my weight is always up for a week afterwards.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I never weigh myself when it's that time of the month, but weigh about a week after I'm finished. I know i ALWAYS put on about 5 extra pounds and as long as I stay on top of it, things will go back to normal. Don't lose heart!!
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Just remember that you are going to change and fluctuate daily and weekly. Curse at the scale and walk away knowing you've done all the right things this week. Go back to it next week.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    What gain and loss are we talking about? I like numbers. :)
    If it's about 2-4 lbs then forget it. If you kept your diary under control then this is only WATER. It is going away in the next couple of days. Keep sodium under control as well.
  • sharonruth7
    sharonruth7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Grrrrr! I hate "that time" along with all the rest of the woman. But I also know how frustrating it is to see a gain!!! Especially when you haven't eaten anything more than usual. It makes me get to the point of "Oh well, I am not eating all the delicious looking food everyone else is and I gained weight so I give up!" We are all with you! Don't give up. Stay positive. Try to bring yourself up quickly and look to the future. We are all going to have ups and downs along the way but in the end when we are healthy we will laugh! You can do this! I can't wait to see a post next week with your loss! :)
  • adlwilmot
    adlwilmot Posts: 117
    Options
    It's water; ignore it. I now weigh myself every day. That way I can see exactly what's going on and not think that because I weigh 4 pounds more this week than I did last week, that that's all fat. It's not - it's water, and I know it is because the scales have shot up 4 lbs overnight. In my eyese, weighing yourself daily is far more benficial than doing it weekly.
  • PenguinPrincess
    Options
    Your body retains water right before and during the TOM. You probably really haven't gained any weight, just water weight!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    TOM is usually water weight (more water in, more water out), but I totally understand how the extra fatigue can hamper your workouts. Do what you can and stay on track with your calorie goal (even with the PMS munchies LOL). My OBGYN suggested some supplements to take the edge off the PMS, yours may be able to do so as well. And like everyone said, just don't weigh yourself that week.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!