What am I to do with all this skin?

Options
Ok Guys Help.. I do crazy cardio and resistance/strength/ab training.. and The smaller I am getting the more frusterated I am getting.. Is there hope, Or do I play the lotto and try to win enough for plastic surgery : ) I have so Much skin on my tummy.. Not when I am standing The belly is flat and I can see the muscle but when I am doing pushups or planks or those type of excercises, Literally my belly Skin is Hanging off my body , How gross.. Yes I have had 2 LARGE babies and I peaked out in weight at 215 But There has to be some hope, am I working hard on my abs for nothing.. I am honestly scared to lose anymore weight because I don't want more skin.. Just discouraging ya know : (

Replies

• DanielleWatson83
    DanielleWatson83 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    When I lost all my weight few years ago... since gained it back ... but anyways I had loose skin gallore and my doctor said eat lots of jello or anything with gelatin in it...?
  • garbanzalo
    garbanzalo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you don't see it normally, then give it time. As you continue the routine, your skin will tighten automatically.
  • hofficoffi
    hofficoffi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've read from numerous places that skin take up to 2 years from final goal to shrink. You can be left with some loose skin and all you can try to do is keep doing your exercises, get the body fat down and give something for that skin to stick too (i.e. muscles) I too am having a problem with loose skin and i'm dreading it but i'd rather have that than be fat again. However it does kinda suck that we work so hard to get our perfect bodies....yet we still get the 'scars' of our high weight. Sucks a bit hun, know how you feel!!! xxxx
  • amycarol59
    amycarol59 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have been really studing this fact because I don't want surgery and I maxed out in the 370's. I am now 120 down and very concerned about the extra skin too. I have found things that are said to help 1) moisturizing with aloe, baby oil or coco butter. 2)exfoliation 3)massage. Don't fret they also say it takes 2 yrs for your skin to rebound after losing weight. So give yourself the time, Be patient and you may not need that surgery. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    don't panic! that's most important :)

skin is a living organ and after some time it will fit your new body.
    it would be best if you don't loose your weight very quickly, then skin has time to shrink.
    it's important that you drink A LOT of water - it will give elasticity to your skin.
    eat protein rich foods.
    nourish your skin - use firming lotions and body creams.

i hope i helped! :D
  • PhatAndy
    PhatAndy Posts: 285
    Options
    COCOA BUTTER!
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I can perhaps offer you some reassurance. I had 2 big babies and then I had to lose 60lbs that I had accumulated over the 2 pregnancies. I was 30 at the time and working out with lots of cardio & strengthening exercises. I ended up with quite a six pack. I also ran 1/2 marathons. So I believe you'll get there. I had a super flat tummy. I dropped my weight as low as 120lbs which was just silly, but ended up stabilizing my weight at 140lbs.

It was baby no.3 that caused a bit of choas nearly 7 years ago. I might have a different scenario now that I"m in my 40's but hey, I'll superglue it it into place if I have to!!

Chat to your trainer and perhaps a change in work out will help too.

Good luck & well done on your weight loss. You look fantastic!!!
    x
  • Taracia
    Options
    I hear you loud and clear. Saggy skin is on my mind a lot because I know losing this weight is going to take me from looking younger than my age, to looking older ... but there's hope. I realize not all skin types are alike, BUT, I had a close friend who (through cancer unfortunately) lost 200+ pounds rapidly at age 60. Her skin shrank to cover her new skinny frame, so that you couldn't tell she'd ever been bigger. It took over 2 years for the skin to tighten. So I'd say we should give it time, be as patient as we can, while we nourish the skin, and love our healthy lives.

p.s. I wrote about the 2 years, before reading the posts above that say it takes 2 years. This makes me even more hopeful. Good luck to you
  • FittingIn
    FittingIn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Conversely, isn't it cool that our bodies do expand the skin when weight is added? It sure beats the alternative! :-)

I'm frequently amazed at how much our bodies adapt and change and keep on going.
  • JLove2Zumba
    Options
    I hope so : ) I am down to 130 pounds and I only have 5 to go to reach my goal.. I am doing abs abs abs.. I also have been runnning for almost 3 years which is what really helped me shed some weight.. No I alternate running, zumba classes, and Circuits with abs and upper and lower body! Its been 4 years since I had my last baby, But This is the smallest I have weighed in 10 years.. On my wedding day I was 120.. Thanks for the hope everyone.. I am believing that in time the skin will just disappear : )
  • fit_chica69
    fit_chica69 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue Jaime. I got down to 121 lbs and still have so much loose skin.I was told the same thing everyone has been saying on here, to give it time and that it could take up to 2 years to finally happen. Just don't give up. I almost gave up but I know I don't want to regain what I've lost, so now I'm really determined to get there. Its no longer about weightloss.... I want to be happy with a firm body for all this working out. I'm sick and tired of this flubber!!! Keep doing what you're doing. You're doing awesome and it will come in time. :)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm wondering what you mean when you say it's saggy during pushups. Gravity does some weird things when you're in a position like that. Your face probably looks weird too -- most people's do. Jillian Michaels has a really hard stomach, but even hers hangs a little lower when she does push-ups and planks. Not as much as mine does :laugh:, but it doesn't look perfect.

If it's truly loose skin, I would think it would be visible when you're standing up. If it's not visibly loose when standing, and if you can't pinch a decent amount of it when you tighten your abs, I'd venture to bet that it's just gravity. Whatever loose skin you do have though will tighten up over time. Just keep doing what you're doing. :)