Is there a snack that I can feel good about?

Options

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Mix some cottage cheese with fruit or fruity yogurt. It's kind of ice-cream-esque.
  • GOTHICGYPSY
    Options
    wow gonna try that!
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Dollop of garlic hummus with veg or on a 1/4 spelt pita quenches a surgar craving like not much else. bit of protien and very low cal.

I also love frozen grapes and mellon balls but has more sugar and calories. It helps to look at your macros and see what you're missing:)
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I don't have a fridge at work and that's when I get snacky. I take a lunch but the mid afternoon or mid-morning, I sometimes am just really hungry.

I buy the fiber one or special k granola bars that are 90 calorie. They have enough flavors that I can get creative and it's just enough for me to have and not feel like I'm throwing my day off.

At home, I make salads...just lettuce and a light dressing
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Go Ahead bars are pretty good :]
  • CallieRettig
    Options
    I do something similar to the baked apples except I use pear halves. I put some apple cider or apple juice in a baking dish, place the pears face down, then add a drop of vanilla. Sprinkle with nutmeg, cinnamon, and a few chopped pecans. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes and baste with juices every 10 minutes. It tastes like it should have 1000 calories :)
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    diet jello with Whipped cream when you know you're going to binge...

anything else when you know you've got enough control to have a small portion and enjoy the flavor

Enjoy :)

Hmm commercially prepared animal collagen topped with any kind of sweetened cream (and bought whip often containing additives) does not seem like a healthy snack to me!
    :noway: You really don't have to be rude. Just pass on by.
    I reckon. You're asking for help remember, you could be a bit more gracious in your replies.

Sure, but anyone who really read her request would know not to suggest something like Cool Whip. I'd be frustrated too.
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal! You can add all kinds of things to it (my favorite right now is Trader Joe's Pumpkin Butter and a tablespoon of walnuts), 1 minutes 30 seconds in the microwave, Voila!
  • Marie3391
    Marie3391 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Definitely plain non-fat greek yogurt with about 5-10 natural almonds. It's super high in protein and very filling, for not too many calories. Mix some honey, if you want to go natural or some splenda to make it sweeter.

Try hard boiled eggs as well. High protein.

I think it's important to have snacks be high in protein.

I have a very weird snack I like to have... chick peas with fat free feta cheese mixed with some balsamic vinegar for flavoring, lol. It's very high protein. I love chick peas so...this works for me but it's not something I would recommend to people as it's pretty odd.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I reckon. You're asking for help remember, you could be a bit more gracious in your replies.

Yes I agree, I didn't even realize it. Thank you for reminding me tactfully. I was thinking about the food and not the fact that I might offend someone because they were trying to help and suggested it. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and everyone is welcome to jello if they like it!

What I should of said and for future posters has been added in the first post. I basically want something that makes my body love the food, and not just me!
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    diet jello with Whipped cream when you know you're going to binge...

anything else when you know you've got enough control to have a small portion and enjoy the flavor

Enjoy :)

Hmm commercially prepared animal collagen topped with any kind of sweetened cream (and bought whip often containing additives) does not seem like a healthy snack to me!

Wow. I had a look at Jazzalea's profile and it looks like she's done a lot really well. I might have to try this one!
  • bobbin1
    bobbin1 Posts: 60
    Options
    I like to snack on pistachio nuts.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Definitely plain non-fat greek yogurt with about 5-10 natural almonds. It's super high in protein and very filling, for not too many calories. Mix some honey, if you want to go natural or some splenda to make it sweeter.

I have a very weird snack I like to have... chick peas with fat free feta cheese mixed with some balsamic vinegar for flavoring, lol. It's very high protein. I love chick peas so...this works for me but it's not something I would recommend to people as it's pretty odd.
    I often wonder how much is to much, why do you think it's important to have high protein? The "it makes me feel full" aspect, the "it helps me repair if I'm exercising" aspect or other?

And actually, that sounds really good...I love balsamic vinegar. Sometimes I put it on salad as is (but if people are around I add olive oil and dressing-like-things so I don't look odd lol
  • bobbin1
    bobbin1 Posts: 60
    Options
    I like to snack on pistachio nuts.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I freeze a lot of fruit...that way I can always make a quick snack that feels like a treat.

This morning for example I took half a cup of frozen fruit and warmed it up on the stove so it turned into more of a sauce and put it over my home made waffles. This is better than syrup and it tastes fabulous!!!

Or, you can just purée the fruit and add cream cheese, non-fat whipped cream, powdered sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla, to taste. This is a great and healthier dip! :)

Slushies! Purée frozen fruit with some water...yum!

You can add frozen berries or other fruit to sugar free white grape juice, and freeze in popsicle molds. Or place berries in ice cube trays. Cover with water or juice, and freeze. Use instead of ice cubes in your water to add a little flavor....

Also, every Sunday I slice up all my veggies and individually pack baggies. That way I can just grab and go...and if I get in the mood to snack I have some readily available instead of reaching for chips or candy...lol
  • CoderGal
    Options
    This morning for example I took half a cup of frozen fruit and warmed it up on the stove so it turned into more of a sauce and put it over my home made waffles. This is better than syrup and it tastes fabulous!!!

Yum!
  • jenbooks
    jenbooks Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Put 2T of cool whip on 1 square of graham cracker, top with other square and freeze. For Weight Watchers it is 1 point, otherwise I am not sure of the break down. However, it is a great alternative to Ice Cream Sandwiches.

Oh. My. I'ma have to try that. :D

One thing I've done is angel food cake, fat free cool whip, and a little drizzle of chocolate syrup. Small chunks, of course: I think I was using like 1" squares of the cake. Super sweet to hit that sweet craving.
  • bgp6
    bgp6 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I will definitely have to try them! :)
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Sure, but anyone who really read her request would know not to suggest something like Cool Whip. I'd be frustrated too.

Thanks, I still apologized (thread and personally) just in case that particular person felt like I was attacking them specifically even though there were no complaints from the person who said it. Some people can get upset easily, I try to respect that and didn't think me attacking a food would. Little did I know! Some people stick up for their snacks, and perhaps rightfully so! :P
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options

I often wonder how much is to much, why do you think it's important to have high protein? The "it makes me feel full" aspect, the "it helps me repair if I'm exercising" aspect or other?

It is both for me. Snacks with significant amounts of protein do stay with me longer and, since I am doing some weight training, are part of my protocol to help my body repair itself. I have also found that it staves off sugar cravings and depression for me.