Is there a snack that I can feel good about?

Options

Replies

• LaurieP3
    Options
    I'm new at this, but yesterday I found that roasted, lightly salted pumpkin seeds were very good. (I like seeds and nuts) I snack at work all the time so needed something that was relatively good for me. The serving size is 1/4 cup so I roughed it, all the time thinking that it wasn't very much and I was wasting calories...well the 1/4 cup was fine. I felt good after and it killed whatever craving I was having and I was good to go until dinner.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    It is both for me. Snacks with significant amounts of protein do stay with me longer and, since I am doing some weight training, are part of my protocol to help my body repair itself. I have also found that it staves off sugar cravings and depression for me.

Interesting, I never even thought of the last part but it's so true. I start eating more and more quick sugar snacks during exams, it never helps me feel better! Thanks.
  • lizbudd55
    lizbudd55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There's one snack that I love that I haven't seen mentioned: frozen seedless red grapes. They have a bit of crunch, and they're very sweet. Try them - they're very satisfying!
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I'm new at this, but yesterday I found that roasted, lightly salted pumpkin seeds were very good. (I like seeds and nuts) I snack at work all the time so needed something that was relatively good for me. The serving size is 1/4 cup so I roughed it, all the time thinking that it wasn't very much and I was wasting calories...well the 1/4 cup was fine. I felt good after and it killed whatever craving I was having and I was good to go until dinner.

Where do you buy pumpkin seeds? That reminds me pine nuts done in the oven for a few minutes until they're golden are delicious (especially in salads)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I was asked by one of our MFP family members to re enter my post.

For anyone who is interested.

http://www.canadianparents.com/article/100-family-snacks-under-100-calories
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Do you mean "snack" as in, something to eat between meals when you're feeling nibbly, or something that is sweet and naughty but is still healthy?

For the former, I agree with the celery and peanut butter (or even cream cheese) and cheese sticks.
    For the latter, I consider berries and greek yogurt to be one of the best sweet-tooth fixes I've ever had.
  • richardholt2011
    richardholt2011 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    cherry tomatoes
  • nathan6878
    nathan6878 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I love Costco's UTZ Pub mix, that really fills me up, I am doing a combo of this plan and Weight Watchers and point's wise it is only three points for a half cup.
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I like Pita chips and hummus, bananas and peanut butter.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Dry roasted edamame- super tasty, crunchy and lots of healthy protein as well as fiber!
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Good point. I more or less meant something I could grab quickly that have ingredients in it, and not preservatives/additives. I also find it hard to grab something that's not grains, though I didn't want to say that because someone did end up putting up a yummy recipe with food ingredients in it.
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    For salty cravings, I love pistachios. 1/2 cup is only 160 calories and packs 6 grams of protein.

For sweet, nothing beats peanut butter (natural) and apples for me.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Dry roasted edamame- super tasty, crunchy and lots of healthy protein as well as fiber!
    Do you do that yourself? Or can you buy them somewhere? I didn't even know what that was until this post
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    apple and nut butter (peanut, almond, cashew, or coconut butter)

babybell cheese

greek yogurt, berries, and nuts

veggies and hummus

popcorn in the microwave (season it with cinnamon, parmesan, taco seasoning, or whatever sounds good)

banana sliced down the middle - filled with peanut butter or coconut butter

smoothie (frozen fruit, milk of choice, yogurt, etc)

trailmix (nuts, dried fruit, unsweetened coconut flakes,and a small amount of high quality dark chocolate)
  • sycarroll
    sycarroll Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A snack i like is mixture of dried fruit and nuts.Mix 2x 1/3 cup of nut mix with 1/3 cup dried fruit. There 3 serving in that all you need do is separate them out
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    To kill a sweets craving, I eat Chobani 0%, low cal frozen yogurt or Nallys Oats n' Honey granola bars.
    For substance I eat clementines or I make my own greek salad (cherry tomatoes halved, feta cheese,cukes,low cal balsamic dressing and sometimes Calamatas). I have also found tuna with red apple chopped up, fresh ground peper and hellmans dijonaise on melba toast or wasa to be satisfactory.:bigsmile:
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I keep boiled eggs in my fridge and less-salt nuts in my cupboard. Both are a good, quick snack with plenty of protein (nice thing about the egg is that it's already portioned :laugh: ) Also, canned tuna or salmon, not a sandwich and def no mayo, is a good protein snack.

For sweet snacks, we keep a bowl of apples and oranges on the counter. There's enough of us in the house that they don't go bad, but if you keep them in the fridge they last longer. Also, red bell peppers are sweet and crunchy.

I will admit, sometimes a Snickers hits the spot more than anything! I just account for calories and eat a lighter dinner. Not too often, but once in a while I hafta have some chocolate! :laugh: :laugh:
  • lvpthemvp
    lvpthemvp Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    sunflower seeds in the shell
  • trixylewis
    trixylewis Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump to write down a couple of these!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    eating a lot of jello. not healthy but it helps. salsa?