Asparagus recipes ?

Options
2»

Replies

• megansoriano
    Options
    I just put mine in a pan with water, steam it for about 15-20 min. Drain the water and add a little sea salt! YUM YUM. Easy and delicious.
  • AlexPflug
    AlexPflug Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have some asparagus in the fridge and I'm thinking about pounding out some chicken and rolling the asparagus and part-skim mozzarella cheese in the chicken and bake it.
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I like mine a little charred, so, I go with a little olive oil, put the asparagus in (make sure you cut the stems down, they get a bit tough), the I add pepper. Give it a few tosses and let it work. The asparagus will soak up most of the oil in about 5 minutes, so, I add a little more... After about 7 minutes, I'll throw in some minced garlic and give it a few tosses... After two minutes, removed from heat. DONE!

All done in a medium sauce pan, btw.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    i saw giada l on foodnetwork put in in what looked like lasagna, neat idea. i'd think wou could in a fritata or quiche yummly too.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have roasted them in red wine (merlot or cab) with peeled garlic.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I make them one of three ways...

- Steam them...gently

- marinate with olive oil, lemon juice salt and pepper and then either cook them in a skillet or on the grill

- marinate with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, salt and pepper and do the same as above.
  • jmvmisc24
    jmvmisc24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i like to do it on the george forman grill wrapped in bacon.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    toss it in olive oil, garlic and black pepper. Wrap in bacon. cook. BAM! deliciousness.
  • Rachelnicole1969
    Options
    wash it, put it in a roasting pan and lightly sprinkle with olive oil, sea salt, and pepper.....cook on 450, turning once, for about 10 minutes. Delicious!
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I love grilled asparagus with a little squeeze of lemon and kosher salt.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    all these suggestions sound great. For years, we just boiled it until tender and dressed with a sprinkle of salt. So, it's good fixed almost any way. My main tip is to BREAK the ends off. Do not cut. Handling one spear at at time, gently bend, and each will break off at its own 'perfect' spot. I've seen TV cooks cut across the whole bunch at once, to "save time:" Really, it takes mere seconds to individually break each spear- and you don't risk having some bits of tough stalk, or wasting bits of good from others...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Blanche them, ice bath them then do a nice cold salad with diced purple onion, diced tomatoes and a white balsamic vinegar and evo dressing with a little sea salt and ground pepper.
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have some asparagus in the fridge and I'm thinking about pounding out some chicken and rolling the asparagus and part-skim mozzarella cheese in the chicken and bake it.

That was totally my suggestion :) you could also use canadian bacon or ham with cheddar cheese.
  • Karen5678
    Options
    I love it grilled.... snap off stems.... place in a bowl with a few teaspoons of olive oil, sprinkle with pepper and seasoning to taste
    Toss around to lightly coat the asparagus.... place on hot grill
    It cooks very fast.... then just enjoy it......

It also is great cut into chunks and placed in salads
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I roast it. I trim the ends and then toss in a big bowl with a little lemon juice, garlic, evoo, parsley, pecorino Romano cheese and some breadcrumbs. Press on a foil lined cookie sheet and put in the oven on like 400 for 10 min. So good!
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My mom taught me to hold the asparagus a little below the little tender tips (but not quite in the middle of the spear) and at the cut end and bend. The spear will snap at the beginning of the tough part. That's all I do to prep mine other than a quick rinse in water. My favorite way to fix them is to simply steam or put into a skillet with just a little water covering the bottom. Let them cook for about 3-5 minutes until the bottom is just fork tender. Top with a teeny bit of melted butter and salt and pepper. Simply, yet delicious.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Do everything everyone has mentioned about keeping it tender, along with putting a little olive oil and garlic on it-- then wrap 2-3 pieces in 1 piece of turkey bacon each! Throw them in the over at 425 for 20 min and voila! IT is sooo yummy!