Just found out im pregnant!

Options
I just found out that i'm pregnant, not sure of how far along i am...but i was doing so well on this weight loss journey lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks then found out i was expecting. Kinda shocked about this but i would like to keep working on my weight loss journey seeing how i'm in three weddings this year. Do you know if there is a way to add to your calories for this or anyone have any suggestions i would love to hear them thanks

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You can adjust your calories by going to http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals and choosing "custom". You should talk to your doctor about how many calories to eat so you can make sure it's safe for the baby.
  • NotOnMyOwnagain
    NotOnMyOwnagain Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    congratulations! That is so exciting. This would be a good time to go and talk to a dietitian, you will want to do what is safe for you and the baby.
  • rollycollysmama
    Options
    CONGRATS MAMA!!!
    I had a friend who lost nearly 40 lbs while pregnant, not doing a darn thing!
    I dont know how "over weight" You are, if your just trying to shead a view vantiy lbs, or if your actually here for a seriously big weight loss.
    myself personally, when I was pregnant I was 191 lbs, and my doctor adviced me to NOT eat anymore a day than I usually would, and to NOT give in to temptation of pregnancy cravings and try NOT to gain a single lb- she said by doing this the baby would thrive off my stored fat cells and I would come out of pregnancy smaller. Sure enough, I followed her guildlines, and I came out of pregnancy 26 lbs smaller than when I went in.
    I would not however suggest doing this without talking to your OB first, unless you are significantly overweight!
    GOOD LUCK!!
    also, pregnancy yoga is SO relaxing and fun, also, I found hopping (hula hooping) a very entertaing, and also very challanging work out, which also helped induce labor at 42+6 days LOL
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I never raised my cals when I was pregnant. I still measured my food and I still worked out through the pregnancies. (I had to modify some of my yoga positions as I got further along but that wasn't too hard.)

With my 5th child, I was 5 foot 6 and 157 pounds when I got pregnant. I walked out of the hospital after having her at 165. With my 3rd child I only gained 12 pounds by the end of the pregnancy. I wasn't actively trying to curb my weight gain, I was just very active and, for the most part, ate very healthfully.

I did leave some room for cravings. With my littlest it was cinnamon toast, on whole grain bread (but every once in a while I would really crave it on soft,squishy white bread and have it that way.) Man, I would sock away like 8 slices at a time!

Congratulations!! Wishing you a healthy, happy pregnancy!
  • Charlieh16
    Charlieh16 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Rumour has it you should 'eat for two' when you are pregnant but it's not necessary. As long as you are eating a healthy amount each day and giving your body what it needs then carry on just the way you are :)
  • beach_chelle
    Options
    I would say talk to your doctor but there is a way to set your goals to gain. Congrats! And remember you can always come back :)
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!

Unless you are severely overweight and your doctor tells you to, don't even think about losing. But DO keep up a moderate level of exercise, and DO keep eating healthy. If you keep your gaining in check to a reasonable and healthy amount, it will come off more easily later on. :smile:
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor, but there are books out there that can give you an idea of what to expect and what to consume.
  • kittyraccoon7
    kittyraccoon7 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think you got some great advice here, but specifically, make sure you talk to your doctor. they know what's best! congratulations!
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!!! :heart:

Have a safe & wonderful pregnancy & love every minute! (And don't forget to buy infant gas drops BEFORE the baby gets home, Lol)
  • racs80
    racs80 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    congrats chick i lost weight during both my pregnacies but not threw bad health it is safe to diet just ask youe midwife when you have your next appointment and she will avise you on diet good luck and i wish you all the best xx
  • Grinnix
    Grinnix Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    No advice, just wanted to say congrats Momma! :smile:
  • MsAmulet
    Options
    I'll preface this by saying I'm a CPM. The very best diet I've found, and recommend to ALL of my clients, is www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com - if you eat a good diet and stay active, you'll find that you're in a great spot after baby arrives. You must get enough calories to stay out of ketosis. ketones are a serious business during pregnancy and can damage your baby's brain development. Whenever someone (or, hey, you! you can buy sticks through amazon) they'll be checking for the presence of ketones in your urine.
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!
  • kybrandyb
    kybrandyb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    yayyyyy!!!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I've heard you only need to increase your calories by 300 a day while pregnant. Did you ask your doctor yet? What did he/she say to do?

I would think you could still lose weight while being pregnant. Eat good quality calories and you could have a healthy self and an amazing strong baby!!! What a nice way to start living in this world!!
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    Definitely consult with your doctor, but if you were exercising there is no reason to stop just because you are pregnant. I worked out (step aerobics and other classes) throughout both my pregnancies. Right up (and past) my due date. As a result, I was back to pre-pregnancy weight within a month of delivery.