self destructive and so the story continues...

Options
I think i may just need a big swift kick in the butt. I have been on a rollarcoaster for a year and a half trying to get healthy. It seems I just can't take my own damn advice. I was almost under 200 at one point early this fall, but have climbed back up. I'm so tired of my lame excuses and my "oh i can restart tomorrow"

What have ya'll done to stay focused? Please any ideas will help. I need to click some where. I want this.

Replies

• crazybeautifulkittie
    Options
    I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I find that for me at least when I don't have a specific goal in mind and people to hold me accountable. I won't stay on focus. So how about you write down, YES physically write down your deal measurements/weight. And then why you want to be that weight (more than just to look good - maybe you want to be able to squeeze in small spaces, or walk up 6 flights of stairs without dying ,etc). Then each time you start doubting yourself. Look at the list. I keep an electronic copy with me at all times via cell phone so I can keep myself accountable. Another think that helps me keep tract of the weight is a photographic diary with measurements so I can see that I am doing good. And its also to have a weight that you refuse to go above again. For example when I get back down to 140, I won't go back up again, etc. Good luck. You can do it!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've had to reset and start again a few times.You are in the right place. Getting fit is simple but hard.
    Just get started again by setting reasonable goals -1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES~!
    That's it.
    Again, quite simple.
    The easy part is the what to do; the hard part is the doing.

Good Luck!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that tomorrow I will wish I would have started today.

You have to want it bad enough to be willing to make the necessary changes.
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    When I start to loose track I go to Pinterest and look at the fitness board. There are a lot of motivational quotes that persuade me to get back on track!
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Set tiny baby goals instead of seeing it as a massive mountain to climb sort of thing. I find that for me if what I'm facing is really overwhelming I'm more likely to give up, while if I set small goals along the way when I reach each one I feel more and more encouraged to keep on going and like I'm doing well. When you feel like you're good at something you see no reason to quit. :)
  • RedHeadChick
    RedHeadChick Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a challenge group, where I was accountable for my goals. I decided what I wanted, then went out and did it. It was hard, I won't lie. I had to make tuff decisions each day, but with hard work and motivation I made it happen. So can YOU! :) I also started a food log and work out log. I had a calender that logged my workouts where I could see them, so it was right in my face when I would miss a day. The main thing is, if you screw up, don't complain. Just start fresh the following day and do what you know needs to be done! You can do it, just believe in yourself. ;)
  • melbaby925
    Options
    I am so right there with you - I broke my foot at the end of September, and had to dial back everything I was doing, so I decided to try and maintain where I was. I did. And then in December I started exercising again, and now I'm losing and gaining the same 3 pounds over and over.

I'm stuck.

For whatever reason, I see the number on the scale and something weird happens - I get happy and then I cheat eat. Last night I had popcorn (with oily fake not healthy for you at all butter on it) at the movies. Something I haven't done in a while. It didn't affect the scale, but I felt crappy.

Why this is happening now, after losing 35 pounds, I don't know. But I'm not going to get frustrated with myself, I think I'm going to put the scale away and focus on what I need to do: eat clean, stay the hell away from the movie theater and exercise (cardio and weight training). If the number is scary for me (going around in my head about this, dunno why this number is freaking me out), then I'm not going to know what the number is.

Doing this will be the first time I will be successful on this path - but I recommend you do the same: regroup, forgive yourself, and move on.
  • melissammundy
    Options
    I find that if I don't deprive myself of anything I crave I do really well. Lately I've been eating whatever I want in moderation of course. I find that weekends and nights are harder for me to stay within my goals. So now I pack a light breakfast, light lunch & snacks that keep me at about 600-800 calories so when I get home from work I can have a big dinner & a treat or two. All within my goals of course (I eat about 1400-1600 cals a day)

Also, I cook in big batches so I can always have something I can just heat up. If I'm craving fast food I usually look up foods on here & try to find something in my goals especially sodium wise. (then I plan the rest of my day around it)

On weekends I keep myself busy by cleaning, cleaning, cleaning lol, taking long naps with my 20 month old, shining my work boots, doing a lot of reorganizing & I have an early bedtime.

These are just some of the things I do to help stay on track & to keep myself from binge eating.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    bump for when I'll need these ideas too
  • sbear867
    sbear867 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

This was dead on! Thanks to everyone for the support
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    For me, I am learning to not let my bad days derail me. Before, I would be all or nothing. It was a perfect diet and exercise plan, or it was a horrible eating/no exercise plan. Now there is middle ground. If I go over the edge (oops, just went to burger King,drank a mountain dew and then had a reeses peanut butter cup)......I bury that in yesterday and start over today. Where as before, that would have carried into today with guilt and self destructive thoughts...... and I would just continue down that horrible path. Now I let it go, and start over with a new day.

Good luck!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    When you start to say, "I'll start tomorrow," switch it to, "I'll start today!"
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I struggled for a long time to get started too. Then I thought about how it currently is -- the cost, what I give up, etc. (Feeling uncomfortable, clothes, participating in sports). I thought about what it would be like to be at my goal. I really imagined it. Imagine being in shorts and a cami on the beach ... Feeling good walking into a some public place ... Dating ... Then I thought it's a waste of a life to not do the work to have a happy, amazing life. I got the waste of it. That was the "click" for me.
  • peachprl
    peachprl Posts: 119 Member
    Options

This. I also don't let myself skip a day. When I start trying to talk myself out of a day, I remind myself that if I do it, it'll make it that much easier to talk myself out of it the next day, and the next. I don't let myself make excuses. It pays off.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has trouble staying with it when they’re getting by. Many people don’t feel or look their best and would like to do something about it. But they’re not completely miserable or very sick and there’s a lot competing for our focus. There’s also some comfort in food & being less active.

Is there something about where you are now that makes it a NECESSITY for you to loose weight or eat better? It’s hard for anyone to stay motivated if they just want to look a little more cute in jeans or be at a lower risk of high blood pressure in 15 years.

I’m not going to kick you in the butt. I think you’re on the right track and will get through this hump. But there’s a powerful rock-bottom moment where some people realize, “Holy crap! I’m wasting my life and health and won’t get a second chance! This is (or could get) very bad!!” When they recover from that massive punch in the gut it’s a lot harder to loose focus. It’s essentially a life and death struggle for them. Once you get used to eating a certain way and living with that kind of focus and set of priorities it becomes almost second nature.

That’s the hard way. The alternative is to just stay in the game and keep coming back. Whatever you do don’t sweat the small stuff or beat yourself up too much.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I Re-Set so many times.

POOF!
    Clean Slate - starting....3--2--1 --NOW!
  • tiggertail
    tiggertail Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I hear ya.

I'm ashamed to say I'm one of those people that finds it very difficult to stay motivated by myself, I have to have goals (even tiny ones) & write everything down so that I have to be accountable for what I did (or didn't) do. Before xmas I was in training for my first half-marathon, then I ended up in hospital, only a minor operation but it set me back so far & then I used the excuse of xmas & New Year to put on 3 of the hard won 7kg that I'd lost. I've found mfp has been anazing, reading everyones inspirational stories. I've also joined up with a couple of colleagues at work as my diet, gym & training buddies so that we can help each other along.....and I've booked myself some more runs, 1 in March (9km) & 1 in April (21km).

Good luck on your fitness journey, you're here & that shows how much you want it...even if it take a little longer than you'd like to get there! xxx

9131614.png
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    What about changing things up? Find a book of healthy recipes and try them out, find some healthy foods that you haven't had before and given them a try. Find a new workout DVD or a new class to go too or some kind of fun and challenging outdoor activity that you have wanted to try. I have also kept a notebook in the past of workouts that I want to try from various fitness magazines, healthy recipes, inspiring photos, etc. That way, when I was stuck for new ideas or got bored with my routine, I could look there for inspiration.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Note that motivation does not stick around. It passes. When you have it, write down your goal(s) ..... straight away.

Keep it in front of you (mine is on my profile).

As for doing what you need to do, treat it like any other thing you are doing for a reason. Job, Marriage, etc. you just have to DO IT.