People who say "I can't afford to eat healthy" or "Healthy e

Options

Replies

• twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is entirely true. At least not where I am. If you compare it to eating junk food at fast food places then yes, I can see where buying good food can be cheaper - but not always. I just went to the grocery store last night. A large bag of chips is $2.50. That would last about 10 snacks. I bought 3 apples and it cost me $3.00. A pack of hot dogs and a pack of buns is a total of about $3.00. That's 8 lunches. I bought 2 bags of salad - 5 lunches - and it cost me $6.00. A box of regular pasta is 88 cents. A box of whole grain pasta is almost $3.00. I could go on.
    Maybe you need to find cheaper places to shop? I'm from the UK but I've got friends in the US and I KNOW they don't have to pay as much as that for some of those things...

You do realize that the US is a large country with varying prices throughout? I shop where things are the cheapest, for the most part. I do not, however drive all over creation to save 10 cents on something. With gas almost 4 bucks a gallon, it's cheaper to pay the extra 10 cents than to burn a gallon of gas going to a different store. I just happen to live in a place where prices are a little high for groceries.

And I'm not saying I don't buy healthy food. I'm just saying it is more expensive, but I figured out a way to do it. It should not be the main excuse for someone choosing not to eat right. But some folks are in a bad situation and just can't. I understand where you're coming from, I just disagree that EVERY SINGLE PERSON who says they can't afford the fresh, healthy foods is making an excuse.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    It is true, it is more expensive...INITIALLY. When we ate crap we were spending about 200 bi-weekly for a family of 3(2 adult 1 toddler). When we started eating healthy, the first couple weeks we spent 200$ weekly. This was because we needed to build up healthy staples like EVOO, Sesame oil, various vinegars, brown rice and w/w pasta, light PB, oatmeal, apples, oranges etc. All these healthy ingredients that we never had on hand, but last a long time. My hubby nearly had a heart attack when he saw what we spent. lol

Now I budget 100$ weekly and the last 2 weeks we haven't even been using that entire budge. I generally just pick up fresh produce as we run out and because we're eating a couple meatless dishes a week our lean meat supply lasts 2 weeks whereas it used to only last a week. So now i'm buying meat - xlean gr. chicken, turkey sausage, skinless boneless chicken breast only every 2 weeks instead of fattier versions every week.

It does help that i love cooking and inherited a knack for it from my Mom. I can make great, tasting, heathy and cheaper dinners than we could even hope to find at a restaurant or in a processed package. Hubby has complimented several times our fresh and light and delicious or meals are now that we're eating healthy!

Since healthy eating we have also nearly eliminated eating out expenses. I would spend 10$ a week on coffee with cream and sugar and unhealthy bagels or breakfast sandwiches. We would order pizza or chinese 1 or 2 times a week at an expense of 20-30$/meal.

Now I bring my breakfast from home to work and make coffee at home (love my keurig!). We order takeout 1 time every 2 weeks and it's usually pizza and less than $20 since we consume healthier, smaller portions. Hubby still eats one meal out with his friends a week, but only 5-7$ as opposed to 10-15$.

Overall eating health has been GOOD for our budget and even if it wasn't, can you REALLY put a PRICE tag on your health? It's worth a little sacrifice to live a healthier, happier and fuller life!
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I think the people who use this excuse either use it because a) they don't really want to eat better or b) they honestly believe the prepared foods in the store that say "diet" on them are truly eating "healthier" (and we know are more expensive and leave us hungry). There are a lot of misconceptions about healthy eating, especially here in America. The "Western diet" is ingrained here in the U.S.(generations of us have been eating this way), not to say places like England don't end up eating the same way but they have a much longer history with food (a "food culture", if you will) that extends back much farther than the dawn of the fast food burger. We lack that here in the U.S. - our food culture IS McDonald's. Most of us honestly have no idea how to eat - I for one grew up on processed food. I was forced to eat 1 small serving spoon of "veggies" at dinner (peas, corn, green beans - and I fought tooth and nail about that) every night and that was it. My mother yo-yo dieted my whole life eating "lean cuisines" for meals. So no, I was never taught how to eat properly and eating pre-packaged "diet" dinners were I thought the healthy way to eat. I'm now in my early 30's and it has taken me the last 10 years to figure out what healthy eating truly is (trying different diets, doing a TON of reading about food, etc.). I woke up one day in December and just had a Eureka moment :blushing: I know it probably sounds stupid to some people but 20 years of habits can be hard to break.
  • TamsinEllis
    Options
    I really hate it when people say it's too expensive to eat healthy, but I was thinking maybe I was ignorant since a) I don't have to worry (too much anyway) about what grocery shopping costs but also because b) we grow all out own vegetables (still buy ones that are out of season though!) so I thought maybe I was ignorant to what it really cost, glad I'm not! Anyway, where I live if a vegetable is in season it'll be a fair price, however if it's out of season and has been imported from Spain or somewhere the price will reflect that, so if money is a problem check what's in season and buy it and if you have some spare cash treat yourself to something you like that's not in season. Meat I get that it's expensive (same with cheese) so look out for the offers or stuff that's on it's sell by date so it's reduced, we actually have a great thing at my butchers where I live where when you buy your meat you can ask, to put some money on a card (it's a booklet really but they call it a card) I think every week put anywhere from £2 to £5 on it, so if you're ever short of money one week when buying your meat you got this money on the card you can pay with instead (generally we end up blowing all the money on christmas and birthday meals xD). I get that probably no-one else's butchers do this but it is worth thinking about, you could make your own "card" (money box or something) and whatever you manage to save from grocery shopping you could put in for an added extra bit of money when you're short. And what the OP said about apples and chips I totally agree, yes apples are more expensive but you get more "meals" (snacks) out of them, plus they fill you up more and are better for you. Still if chips (thinking crisps think I'm English) are really that much cheaper and you want them, buy them, but then go home and split them out into separate bags so they do you more then 1 snack.
    Someone mentioned making their own soup being cheaper then tinned. I do make some soups myself but I'm not sure if it's cheaper, I suppose it depends on how much soup you eat at once (I always eat an entire tin whoops!) personally if the tinned soup is on offer (Heinz where I live is 5 tins for £3 at the moment) I think it's going to be cheaper, think chicken noodle soup, you'd have to buy chicken, noodles, peppers, sweet corn, stock (actually good way to save money if you buy stock, don't buy it just tip all the fat that cooks out of your meats into a bowl and keep it in the fridge to use when you need stock) and whatever else is in there. That'll cost you well over £3 for all those ingredients (sorry I can't do $ if I could I would) yes it'll make more then the tin contains but I still think tinned soup would be cheaper for the same quantity at the end of the day (although the homemade one would probably taste much better). Anyway it is possible to eat healthy what you have a tight budget, you just have to (like previously said by someone else) make a list of what you think you'll need for the week (or what you know you'll need) and take it from there, if you need sausages but your normal ones are too expensive and some you haven't tried before are on sale, try the ones you've never had before, worse case scenario you don't like them in which case cut them up and make a pork and bean pot with spices and you'll never be able to taste it.
    I think it's harder for parents to afford healthy eating on a budget when they have younger children because their kids will want animal crackers, cheese strings etc in their lunch box, and that'll cost money, so I excuse people in that situation from this comment but, I think the reason people think eating healthy is more expensive is because they end up stocking up on non healthy "treats" (biscuits for a biscuit barrel, mints for your handbag, chocolate bar for in your work desk) since you no longer have your normal food. I think people (without realizing they're doing it) stock up more on comfort food because they are put in a situation with food they're not used to (not saying everyone does this but both me, my family, my friends we are ALL guilty of this) and that's what makes the shopping seem so expensive because you buy more then you need.
  • Goldenbast
    Goldenbast Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    This is something that has interested me for quite some time. My food budget is $800 a month for 7 people. I may have been cutting it down without realizing it by using some shopping and food prep strategies:

1. Shop the sales: I price match everything at Wal-mart. I go over the sales ads and make a mater list of what I want, mostly meat and produce and buy it all at Wal-mart for the lowest price.

2. Buy in Bulk: Now I don't mean like Sam's Club, but when something goes on a GREAT sale..like Broccoli crowns for .69/lb I buy as much as I can and chop it up, then flash freeze it and bag it up.

3. Keeping a price book: This is a list of the foods I buy the most, at the best prices, the date, unit price and at what store. Then I can see at a glance if a sale is really the best price and after a while you can see a trend and can anticipate when something will go on sale.

4. Once a Month Cooking: a bit of a misnomer actually, it usually takes a couple days unless you really want to spend the whole day doing it, but this allows you to completely cook up some freezer friendly meals that can then be just popped in the oven.

5. I am fortunate to have an outlet store that sells overstock....the produce is sometimes very close to wilting, but not always....and when I can grab all colors of bell peppers that have not even wrinkled yet for 6/$1.00 I get a bunch and immediately seed/chop them up and freeze them for use for weeks. I will Try to stop at this store at least once a week, they oft have gallons of milk for $2.50 and loaves of bread for .79 (sometimes on sale for .50).

I have started to transition to cutting out all processed foods and try to make most things from scratch, including soups/marinades/mayo/ketchup etc. I have not really looked at my budget to see how much I now spend, guess I should. :)
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Simple healthy stuff is not expensive
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm glad it is cheaper for you. It's not for me. I live in the midwest, it is frozen here at least 4-5 months a year. It's a long way from a warm weather state that grows produce and at least 4 hours from a "big" city. Veggies and fruit (fresh) are not a cheap option in those months. Store sales do not usually include these items but the processed or canned items that are so unbelievably high in sodium I don't even think of eating them anymore.

I don't can (unnatural fear of giving myself botulism) so what little I can freeze I do but not everything can be frozen for use when winter comes and fresh produce is expensive or tastes like cardboard.

So eating healthy is more expensive for me. Do I whine about it, no but it is a fact of life.
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bump. now I'm curious to how much I spend on meals for the week.
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I tend to decrease quantity and improve quality: less meat but organic, the most expensive bread as well, etc. In essence our bills went higher step by step over three years, but it is a mix between different tastes, prices increase, new philosophy (several documentaries on cheap meat, level of chemicals in food, etc. drive us towards more expensive local organic aliments), etc. On the other hand, I used to spend this difference in stopping here and there to get a sandwitch, a coke, French fries, bakkery, etc...which, for our couple, make the total food budget equivalent. Basically, the price difference depends more on supermaket than the choice of product for us (Belgium).

I agree with those who say these are excuses...your finance level can force you to look at every penny, but lentils, beans, carrots, apples are cheap, right? When I tell people to eat more fish, they say it is expensive....well, meat is much more expensive to me! In Belgium, you can find frozen fish at 3 euros/kg, and fresh one at 5 or 6. I got entire salmon at 6-7 euros/ kg that I cut and freeze. That is not even the price of my chicken. I hope one day our government will over-tax junk food like they do with cigarets and decrease organic food price to decrease medication costs. Unfortunately, they find out that medication costs were below decade pension costs.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    We are spending more on fresh fruit and on meat, but less on junk food. The meat is more because we eat better -- fresh fish instead of pork; chicken breast instead of whole chicken, etc. We eat three really good meals a day now. We used to have three good meals a week. My husband, the unexpectedly early retired one (I note this because we are on a tight budget), does the grocery shopping and bargain hunting. He says our healthy menu cost a lot more at first especially as he learned where to shop for what, but now it costs about the same as the old days. Ironically now that we are eating planfully and carefully, I enjoy food way more and feel way less deprived.

I will repeat what I alluded to in an earlier post that I really wish we had instituted this healthy menu planning when the kids were at home. We did have sit down meals but we had a boatload of unhealthy snacks and those sitdown meals, while usually fun, were not the healthiest in the world. We all downed a lot of that boxed macroni and cheese and white rice was a meal staple. We had some pretty intense demands on our time back then, but we also could have afforded a freezer and tweaked our lifestyle some. I am pretty happy with my life, bumps in the road and all, but I guess that if I could have a do-over, it would be to have created a family structure that was nourished with healthier food. That said, my kids are strong healthy adults, my grandchildren are beautiful, and my husband and I are showing its never too late to change habits.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    it all depends on the planning, people are too into 'convenience' foods nowadays rather than proper cooking. if you are prepared to cook from scratch using whole ingredients then it is generally cheaper. if your idea of eating healthy is buying 'diet' readymeals, or ready prepared fruit, vegetables etc then its going to get expensive - for example at my supermarket 500g of carrot sticks is 50p, a small tub of melon is £2. For the same price you can get at least 1kg of whole carrots that you need to wash and peel yourself, or a whole watermelon!
    i spend around £150 per month on groceries for 2 people, that also includes cleaning products, toiletries etc so probably around £130 of that is actually on food - we have chicken or 95% lean beef most days, free range eggs, organic dairy so could spend even less by buying 'value' range dairy, eggs, meat but I am happy to pay more for these due to the animal welfare aspect! i buy in bulk as much as possible, buy short dated items to freeze, go to different supermarkets to get the best deals and make extra portions to freeze so i have my own 'readymeals'.
    i dont have kids at the minute, but if i have them in future i will not be buying the special 'kid friendly' foods that are about 5 times the price of normal food just because they are ready cut up and put in a colourful package!!
  • waterhaunted
    waterhaunted Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I see 2 sides to this. First being, the household grocery budget didn't already stock fruits and veggies for multiple meals a day, there is an increase in cost at first. My house has 5 people....all thin except me. The start up cost of 2 fruits a day, frozen or fresh veggies etc, absolutely increased the cost of foods in my house.
    Add to the fact, I do not like to eat and in not eating, I gain because I go into starvation mode keeping all I do eat, therefore another increase to the budget having the foods in the house and having the eat 3 meals and 2 snacks to get up to my calories in take.
    At that, I still often fall a little short.

Now, acknowledging at first it seems more expensive, it levels off. If you buy a few different types of frozen veggies, lean meats, almonds and such one week, it is not something you buy every week. I found within a month, the costs had dropped down to manageable amounts. My home did see at first an increase for foods specifically for me an increase of 40-60$ a week for the 1st month.
    Items that I used to eat, now that is don't have them, we no longer need to buy, or don't buy a often, so it is a trade off. I think the start up of changing the life style is something people are shocked by. My husband was.
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I guess the question is " can you afford notto eat healthy?" The cost in medical bills and junk fod adds up in the long run, along with the emotional side of not feeling well. Eaty healthy is well worth it and you will feel so much better.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I coupon, coupon, coupon!! You would be surprised at what good foods there are coupons for. Example, my Dillons (Kroger) had their Almond Breeze Almond Milk on sale for 1.99. I had a coupon that knocked $1 making it .99 for a full size carton! I got Chobani's last week for .30 a container. I have coupons for Skinny Cow, Kashi, Cascadian Farms and Morningstar. Not to mention several others. I even got coupons from Dillons. Ended up getting a 12oz pkg of tilapia for 2.49! It take a little bit of work but it is worth it to save on the good foods!
  • arlyn70
    arlyn70 Posts: 55
    Options
    its true, but no each one have the same cinrcunstance

my husband had a accident, he can move, i have 2 boys.. i am working as a cousturmer services and my salary is less than 18$ an hour..

i am the one who provide my family and i honestly end my month with 20$ in my bank after i paid my bills..

but i work over times, somethimes 12 hrs a day, and have the possibily to buy half of healthy food and half of "junk food" meaning thing that my boys like, i cant give them what i eat because they love cereal, pancakes, white bread, penutbutter jam.. thing that i dont eat..

but as i always said, nothing is impossible.. do what u can..
  • BigAl200
    Options
    Lots of good points on this thread. I am fortunate in that I do not have to pinch pennies. But I do.....for my own reasons. I buy the cheapest laundry detergent I can find, do not use commercial cleaning products except for a very few. Baking soda and white vinegar go a long way. I buy staples at Walmart and shop for groceries at the local farmers market and grocery store. Investing in your health by spending a bit more on quality foods is worth it in the long run, since (as someone else already mentioned), your medical costs will be greatly reduced. And there are always ways to trade off the expenses with something else in your monthly budget that is not really essential.

It does take planning, and learning to cook from scratch. Food tastes so much better. Try some new recipes, freeze individual portions when you make large recipes. When you find a recipe you like, save it on your computer in a recipe file. Take it one day at a time. Your body will thank you.

13641195.png
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I find that now after a few weeks of eating healthier I'm getting better at it but at first I was throwing away alot of food because it would go bad. I am still doing that some though. I have trouble planning meals ahead which is a big reason for this. And some things are cheaper to buy fast good then to make.

For example if I want a chicken sub. I need to buy wraps, but I can't buy just 1, same with cucumbers and tomatoes can't buy just a few slices and if I don't need the rest for the next few days they will be bad before I finish them.

But I can get a foot long for $5 and have two meals out of that, since I take it to go and eat at home so I drink my own water and if I want an apple or something don't pay extra for the slices there.

Sometimes convenience food works out!
  • woodymellor
    Options
  • LaLaKait
    LaLaKait Posts: 2
    Options
    Chicken - 8.99/lb (Boneless Skinless- 9.49/lb)
    Bag of Apples- 6.49
    Bannans- .89 cents/ lb
    Milk- 8.19/gallon
    Tomatos- 1.79/lb
    Peppers- 3.99/lb
    Pears- 4.49/lb
    Plums- 3.49/lb
    Cantalope- 3.99 each
    Watermelon- 6.49 each
    Mushrooms- 4.99/container
    Blueberries, Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries- 4.99 container
    Delissio Pizza- 4.99
    Regular Ground beef- 2.99/lb (ususally it is on sale for this regular 6.99/lb)
    Kraft dinner-0.59
    Potatos- 3.49/10 lbs
    am bag of veggies- 3.99

^^ Please tell me again how its so much cheaper to eat healthy!! I live in canada, in a very poor area, where i am making squat, and the healthy food prices are insane. It breaks my heart that all i can NOT afford to feed my kids healthy! Ground beef and potatos are saldy a regular in my house. Maybe before everyone assumes that these people who say healthy is too expensive, consider that perhaps they accually cannot afford that DVD or shirt or mcd's EVERY week like you think.....
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I think people misinterpret that line far too much...

When I say I can't afford to eat healthy, I am in NO way implying I cannot afford apples over chips. Can I afford apples over chips? Yes. Are apples a balanced meal? No.

Since February, our food budget has been 72 dollars a month. I'm feeding two people on that.

What I mean when I say that I can't afford to eat healthy is that I literally can't afford to eat. I buy what I can, when I can. Oatmeal and ramen is a staple. Hot dogs are, too.

I still buy fresh foods, though.

a 9 dollar lb of chicken will not get you far at all. Whe nyou're living off 72 dollars a month in food. But I certainly cannot afford that pizza, either... duh.