Body in Constant State of Ache

Options
Is it just me thats always in a constant stat of ache?? I exercise 4-5 times a week doing different things (cardio and strength) and it's as intense as possible for me. I'm noticing that my body is now always in a constant state of ache. It's not to the point where it HURTS very bad but it is uncomfortable. everything is stiff from my shoulders to my feet. I have a foam roller and I try to use that as much as possible in addition to stretching and yoga but it doesnt seem to help very much. Do you guys get that too? Do I just need to learn how to live with it? I just think it's making me feel more tired then I actually am you know?

*Edit* I've bumped up my regimen in intensity and I added a couple of days for the past few months. But I've had an exercise regimen since I started a new lifestlye last January

Also, havent been tracking my food lately in my diary but I still have a good handle on what I intake. That's for those trying to look at my diary lol. But in order to really keep track of protein etc I should really keep putting in my foods!

Replies

• tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing your exercise regimen? If you've only been going 4-5 times a week for like, 1-2 weeks, it's probably normal. If you've been working out at that intensity for more than a month consistently and it still hurts, you might want to talk to your doctor. Mine was so bad, and continued to worsen to the point where it was a struggle to put my own pants on...I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. The meds don't do too much, but they do make it more bearable...
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor? Sounds like fibromyalgia.
  • thekateb
    Options
    I woke up feeling the SAME way this morning. I have learned to enjoy this feeling because it tells me I'm working hard. I also find that after my workouts the ache goes away.
  • JacquiC72
    JacquiC72 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch lots before and after exercising?

I have achey legs because I'm not used to running/using those muscles that way. Friends I've spoken to say that aches are common when you first start out because your muscles are working harder than they're used to.

As long as it is just an ache and not pain then you should be ok.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I think your body is telling you to rest. I ache after exercise and sometimes you just push yourself so far you need a rest. It's not a bad thing. Chill out for a few days and just fit in walking etc.

Do you have a professional instructing you in your workout cycle to make sure you rest different parts of your body?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Be sure you get at least 2 days of rest a week!

Better bodies are built in the kitchen and while we sleep!

Everything else is secondary!
  • boston6
    boston6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor? Sounds like fibromyalgia.

Sure does to me too. Time for a Dr's visit to make sure.

BTW - Great job on the weight loss!
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I thought I was doing enough with the stretching I use to do. But now I spend more time on each stretch, do more types for each part of my body that needs it, and it's really paid off and I'm not in constant aching. And just feel so much better before, after and during any of my workouts.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i really never thought it could be something like that but maybe I should go to the doctor and get checked out. Thanks for the feedback!
  • paulyarwooduk
    Options
    Don't try and guess what may be wrong. Go and speak to your Doctor. It's the only way to be sure.

Paul x
  • LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    Options
    As they say, "No pain, no gain." However, I think it is important for you to talk to a Doctor. Also, are you increasing your protein intake on days you work out? I always make sure I have a protein shake ready for a post-workout drink, in the car, immediately following the gym. It is so cold where I live, the car keeps it cold. Also, be sure to take a clementine or other citrus fruit. A friend of mine, in the Navy, said that a protein shake plus a citrus fruit is the perfect post-workout combination. Again, talk to your Doctor, though.
  • dp1228
    Options
    I actually find the same thing to be true but the feeling doesnt last for very long! After a few hours I'm feeling achier then before lol. I was in the same mindset though that it was just me working hard
  • NicolettetheGreek
    NicolettetheGreek Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You might need to drink a little more water to flush the lactic acid out. Good luck!
  • dp1228
    Options
    No the most contact with professionals are the instructors at my gym classes lol. other then that I do it all myself
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    chocolate milk and whey protein powder seems to help with my after workout aches.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    As others have said, if you have just recently started this, that is in the last month or so, this sort of thing is not that unusual. It is a sign you have used your muscles and they are getting stronger. Having said that, stretching the stiff muscles after a workout can help. The reading I have done does not generally recommend stretching before a workout, but after a good warm-up I personally don't see an issue with doing it.

I had a look at your food diary, but there is virtually nothing there. The reason I looked is that if you are working out intensely you need a higher amount of protein. If your body does not have it, recovery will be slowed. I had something similar, and a friend here suggested I increase my protein consumption (I shoot for between .7 and 1 gram of protein per pound of weight). When I made that change things improved noticeably.
  • dp1228
    Options
    I am trying to make sure I have enough protein but I think I should really try the protein shakes at this point. I was avoiding it because I didnt want to deal with finding one I liked etc and I thought I could just supplement with chicken but I think I should really look into it
  • tbloor
    tbloor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I had a lot of aches and pains. As my body adjusted, they got better. I started the Insanity 60 Day Challenge last week, and the aches are back! Here are a few things I am trying:

-glucosamine- a supplement aimed at helping with joint pain, sometimes used by people with arthritis, but also people doing intense workouts. This is new for me, but I've done some research on it and there are possible side effects so I am taking lower than the recommended dose and just trying it out for a few weeks while I adjust to Insanity. If anyone else uses glucosamine, I'd be interested in feedback.
    -epsom salt baths
    -wheat bags/heating pads to bed with me at night- especially on my legs
    -at least one day of stretch/yoga per week
    -deep cold on my legs
  • Scorpiotwinkle
    Options
    I used to get that in the distant past, but now I have a Personal Trainer who advises me to have a banana immediately after workout, with a protein shake or appropriate meal within 1 hour after that. It works for me and I dont HURT, I have a healthy ache when I have upped my weights but otherwise I feel FANTASTIC! It's my 4th week in this new regime so it might take that long.
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could be fibromyalgia - I was diagnosed with this a few months ago - fyi, with fibromyalgia, daily exercise is helpful, however, they suggest things like walking or swimming - lower intensity - as higher intensity can leave you in bed for a week. In order to be diagnosed with fibromyalgia, sypmptoms of pain and fatigue need to persist for at least 3 months, and one needs to have at least 11 of 18 "tender points" - your doctor can check these for you. Good luck!!